JK by the numbers after 10: The Defense and Goalkeeping

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TrueCrew, Mar 5, 2012.

1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant to do this in the initial thread on camp calls and caps, but it just got too long.

Here is a position by position look at JK's formations and personnel selections for the first 10 games.

Now, as we proceed into the midfield and attack, this will get trickier, and more subjective, but is should be relatively easy for the GK's and back four. We've played a 4 back set for every game by my recollection, and only been without 4 in the back for a couple minutes in the Panama game after Cameron's red and before JK could get Parke on by sacrificing Wondolowski up top.

A. Goalkeeping

Not much to see here. Howard is the #1. Guzan would be the #2 if he could play some, which appears to bother JK more than it did BB. Rimando is again preferred from the MLS veteran ranks, and Hamid leads Johnson for the youngsters.

Camp calls (6 max): Howard (5), Hamid (5), Rimando (3), S. Johnson (1), Guzan (1).
    Starts: Howard (8), Hamid (1), Rimando (1).
    Subs appearances: S. Johnson (1), for Rimando.

Howard has started and finished every game except for the 2 Camp Cupcake games. He's rightly the established #1. And will continue to be unless Brad Friedel has a change of heart, and I'm not sure even that would unseat Howard.

Still hard to see whom the #2 is. Hamid has the most calls, but is it because he is viewed as the #2, or just because JK sees him as a talent and wants to get him integrated with the team ASAP. Kind of like Agudelo up top. Rimando seems the top choice among MLS veterans (though why Hartman does't get calls continues to baffle me), and Guzan's lack of PT in England has hurt him. S. Johnson seems to be the #2 choice among young MLS keepers.

Still, hard to argue with the pecking order. Ideally, I'd like to see the #2 keeper get more work with the first team backline so he can build some chemistry in case the #1 goes down at a crucial juncture, but given the unsettled situation at LB and the fact that Onyewu has only started 1 game, I think the #1 backline and Howard need as much work together as possible first.
    =================================

B. Right Back

Dolo's spot, and Chandler the heir if he's not at LB.

Camp calls: Cherundolo (5), Chandler (5), Spector (3), Loyd (3), Pearce (3), Williams (3), Parkhurst (2), DeLa Garza (1), Evans (1), Morales (1).

Starts: Cherundolo (7), DeLa Garza (2), Chandler (1).
    Subs: Spector (1: for Dolo)

I think this is one spot where we are fairly settled and and have 2 good options, and two pretty decent backup options on top of it.

I listed everyone called into camp who could reasonably play RB to give an idea the pool of players JK had to chose from for his starting assignments.

Dolo looks like the incumbent lock, but given his age, how will he be in 2014? Or even 2013? Chandler looks like the #2, if he's not the #1 LB, but he's been deployed at RM for club lately. Chandler could reasonably be argued to be the #2 RB behind Dolo, #2 LB behind F. Johnson, and the #2 RM option behind LD, as he'd give more going forward than I've seen from Rogers, Williams (certainly), or Zusi so far.

Spector has come on as a sub at RB once (and LB twice), but hasn't played and CM (or CB). We've yet to see Lichaj in a JK camp, and DeLa Garza was preferred to Loyd at RB at camp cupcake, with Pearce used at LB (as opposed to LCB or even RB) and Parkhurst in the middle.

Given Lichaj's injury situation, I think JK's choices here have been good, though I'd like to see Lichaj get a call soon if he plays, and I'd also like to see Chandler on his natural side.

The only guy I can see from MLS with a beef might be Franklin, but I don't really see him at the Dolo/Chandler level, or even Spector/Lichaj.
    ====================================

C. Left Back

I think we've found our man in F. Johnson.

Camp calls: Bocanegra (5), Chandler (5), Spector (3), F. Johnson (3), Williams (3), Pearce (3), Loyd (3), Castillo (2), DeLa Garza (1).

Starts: Chandler (5), Castillo (2), F. Johnson (1), Pearce (1), Loyd (1)
    Subs: Spector (2: Chandler & Johnson), Williams (1: Chandler), Loyd (1: Pearce), Pearce (1: Loyd).

Much wider net here. First thing to note is that unlike the previous regime, there has been no Boca at LB, he's been at LCB every time. Of course, we haven't played a game that matters yet, either. And the like of Chandler & Johnson weren't available as choices to BB.

JK took an early look at Castillo, but he hasn't bee seen since game #2. It's been Chandler starting every game he's been available to since, with F. Johnson handling last game very ably, and being a natural lefty to boot. Spector has made multiple substitute appearances, and Williams one. Pearce and Loyd split the duties during camp Cupcake, and weren't that impressive. Lichaj has been injured.

For my money, Johnson needs to start, either at LB (where he has been playing for club) or LM. If not him, then Chandler. But I see Timmy's future on the right. Spector can be the #3, or possibly Lichaj if he gets healthy. Heck, if LM is problematic, we could always put LD there and let Chandler play RM.

I like JK's move not to even look at Boca out here, and at least some attempts to find a lefty (Castillo, Pearce, F. Johnson). Third time was the charm, IMHO.
    ==============================

D. Right Center Back

With Gooch only starting 1 game, it's been wide open.

Camp calls: Goodson (4), Orozco Fiscal (4), Spector (3), Onyewu (2), Parkhurst (2), Cameron (2), Gonzalez (1), John (1), DeLa Garza (1), Morales (1).

Starts: Goodson (4), Orozco Fiscal (3), Parkhurst (2), Onyewu (1).
    Subs: Onyewu (1: Fiscal)

JK was a bit late bringing in Gonzalez, John, Parkhurst, and Cameron for my liking. Would have much rather seen one (or more) of that group get the early looks instead of Orozco Fiscal, but JK has given them all looks. John's loan deal killed his, as did Gonzalez's after Chandler's tackle. Cameron was played at LCB beside Parkhurst for Cupcake. And Goodson, despite his flaws, seems to be preferred in Gooch's absence.

DeMerit didn't really have a good year, so I can see why he hasn't gotten looks. Would also like to see Cameron get a shot at RCB, as his midfield and skills out of the back kI think seem the best of the group. Maybe a return to form and health of Chad Marshall might also merit a look, or continued improvement from the likes of Opara or Kitchen.
    ==========================

E. Left Center Back

All Boca, all the time.

Camp calls: Bocanegra (5), Ream (3), Pearce (3), Cameron (2), Parke (1), John (1).
    Starts: Bocanegra (8), Cameron (2).
    Subs: Ream (1: Boca), Parke (1: for Wondolowski after Cameron red card)

Boca is the captain, and he's a fine player and a threat on set pieces. And I understand the one time he got taken out of a game, Ream immediately gave up a goal. But we must look for a replacement. I love that Cameron did get a shot, but I'd prefer him at RCB. Both Ream and Whitbread are starting in the EPL, they seem the most likely candidates to get a shot. And justifiably so. We never really got to see Pearce at LCB, he got injured at the early camps where it was a possibility, and during cupcake, I think Cameron merited a shot first.

Still, hard to argue with the call-ups or starting decisions here. But like the GK situation, I'd like to see the #2 get some quality time with the other starters just in case. But the LCB/LB need to have a good understanding as well, and that is a higher priority. Hopefully, our LB situation is wrapping itself up with Johnson there.
    ======================

Well, again, a lot of stats and not much analysis. I think our back situation is pretty straightforward: Dolo, Gooch, Boca when healthy, and looking for a solution at LB, and it seems to be Johnson/Chandler. Chandler and Spector seem capable subs outside, and Goodson somewhat so in the middle. Castillo and Orozco Fiscal probably not ready for prime time, and Pearce and Loyd probably not either. Hopefully Ream and Whitbread benefit from their EPL experience, and I hope Cameron gets more shots, and Gonzo gets healthy.
    ================================================

I'm not trying to provide that much analysis or insight here, just trying to provide a factual jumping off point for discussion. Are we headed in the right direction at these positions? Have the calls and decisions on who starts been good, bad, or in-between? Are they getting better as JK knows the pool more? All opinions welcome.

Again, I'd argue we are headed in the right direction, especially at LB with Johnson/Chandler on the rise and Castillo off the charts for now. JK also giving the quartet of Cameron, Parkhurst, and John/Gonzo calls (finally!) also has improved my outlook on his thought process. And I'd assume Ream/Whitbread will be in there next time if available. And, for all his faults, Goodson is Brondby's captain. Hope a healthy Lichaj also gets a look.

6 people repped this.
  2. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great work again on compiling the numbers! More rep for you.

Other than the brief fling with Castillo at LB (I think he's a LM), JK has been about as logical as one could expect at outside back. Chandler is a no-brainer at RB/LB. Johnson's recent switch to LB at the club level has been a godsend. Cherundolo as the veteran transition guy is also a no-brainer. Lichaj will be heard from again, too.

On the other hand, one of my consistent gripes with JK has been his overuse of known quantities at CB. We all love Boca and he will play in many qualifiers; justifiably so. But the odds of him starting in 2014 are low, and I don't see why he has to be a lock 90 minute guy every friendly. The friendlies last year were prime opportunities to test some of the next generation of CBs, but all we really have seen are the known standards of Boca and Goodson (12 of the 16 full A-team starts at the 2 CB spots). The only new face given any real time was Orozco, but his professional pedigree is and remains dubious -- a part-timer in MLS and Mexico.

I just have to hope JK is punting the CB question until after the 2012 Qualifiers are settled, and that the real testing will begin later this year.

3. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Your post was generally spot-on but I'll just note two things: I think Johnson is actually right-footed, and I'm not sure he's locked in at LB yet. I say that mostly because he might be the most versatile player in our pool, in terms of the number of positions he can play successfully. From what I've seen and read, he's played well at LB, RB, CM, LM, RM, and FW in his Bundesliga appearances. And from what Klinsmann said during our most recent camp according to Grant Wahl, I'm not sure he's made up his mind where he sees Johnson playing in the long run.

4. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he ends up at left back, but I agree he may be tried in other spots. Much of it I think will come down to whether the US has an adequate attacking line. If not, Johnson may be moved forward.

Great opening post, by the way.

5. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I think if we are laying out numbers for the Klinsmann era on defense, we need to look at 7 goals against in 10 games and 0 in the last three. The defense under Klinsmann has certainly solidified. The 10 before, we let in 13, so it has almost been cut in half.

Now, much of this could be more attributed to a different approach in the midfield so it encompasses more than just player selection along the backline. But, just figured if we're talking about defense by the numbers, goals against is pretty relevant.

6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great OP and I would just add that I agree with these two thoughts.
    We missed some great opportunities in the early friendlies to try some new options at CB. Goodson performed better than I might have expected against Italy.

Johnson is right footed and absolutely very versatile. He played exceptionally well in the Italy game at left back. When we get the entire "A" team roster together, it will be interesting to see where he is plugged in. Certainly, in my opinion, he played the best match at left back that I can remember seeing in years. He appears much more comfortable at that position, to me, than Chandler. I would rate both of them and Eric Lichaj ahead of Castillo at this position.