Jets get new stadium

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by MetroGD, Nov 14, 2003.

1. MetroGD

MetroGD New Member

Jan 12, 2000
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1661233

The Jets are supposed to announce a new stadium in January that will open in 2009 on the west side of Manhattan.

So, the Jets get a new stadium in Manhattan, and the Metros can't get a freaking new stadium in Harrison, NJ? What in the sam hell is going on here?

Jets get their new stadium in 6 years. Nick Sack O'Shitz has been trying since 2000. Nick, you've been saying "2006". Now you better back up those words.

2. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, no "60-90 days" joke?

Here's the only way that this is Metro-related: If Harrison stiffs us, in six years we have the ability to negotiate with Woody Johnson for a better rent deal.

3. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Great!

New York will get it's stadium for an expansion MLS club and America will get a REAL "cathedral" for soccer to be showcased in. Not a band-box in someplace called "Carson," which we all know is known the world over, far and wide.

We are the ONLY international city in the United States. We deserve this!

4. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Jets would be returning to their birthplace. They played their first two seasons as the NY Titans in the old Polo Grounds in upper Manhattan.

5. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Unless this deal includes a MLS expansion team..... *#*#*#*#*# IT !!!

6. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow! Maybe the most innaccurate bits of information per word in any post in BS history. Good work!

7. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    I rather doubt it. I spoke with the VP for Development of the Jets last year and asked about the possibility of soccer in this proposed Jets stadium on the westside. He said that perhaps it'd be possible for the World Cup, but that they had no interest in an MLS club playing there.

Anyway, anyone who knows about development in Manhattan knows that there are about a billion things that could go wrong with the plans. Maybe it'll happen, maybe it won't.

edit: just to make it clear about my conversation with the Jets' guy, I asked about dimensions, etc. He said they would have a football sized field, not a soccer sized field.

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Re: Re: Jets get new stadium

Effen A$$holes.... :(

9. Revs007

Revs007 Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Boston
    WOW!

10. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC Carson is pretty squarely in the sprawling area collectively reffered to as LA. You may not have heard of it, but the only reason youve ever heard of Pasadena is because of the Rose Bowl, well that and that song about a little old lady. But then again, their is a song about Lodi so a song with the name of place aint saying much.

11. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Re: Re: Re: Jets get new stadium

Yeah, but seeing as it's closer to where I live, work, etc., I'd prefer the Westside of Manhattan to the Meadowlands. But I'd prefer the Metros own stadium in Harrison to being a lowly tenant in the Jets stadium (where they wouldn't control the schedule, field conditions, etc.) 8 years from now.

12. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    With a retractable dome, we could have friendlies played during the winter! We wouldn't lose all those kinds of matches to California or Texas.

13. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    Re: Re: Jets get new stadium

How is this possible if they plan on using it for the Olympics in 2012? Wouldn't space for a running track mean space for a soccer field too? Or are they going to do the Turner Field thing and make it adaptable for track only to get rid of the track completely post-2012?

14. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Re: Re: Re: Jets get new stadium

Can't say that I really know based on our conversation. I imagine they could take out some lower tier seating and add a track for a 2-week summer event and then replace the seating and remove the track for NFL season.

15. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So when are the Mets getting their new stadium? The one with retractable roof and field...

Until groundbreaking takes place I won't believe it.

16. KLECKO73

KLECKO73 New Member

Jan 5, 2002
    GARDEN STATE
    As a die hard Jets fan, I'm hoping the new stadium happens for the Jets but I'm a pessimist when it comes to anything Jets related. As a Metro fan, it boggles my mind why our owner who has just as much or more money than Woody Johnson won't just pay 100% of cost for the stadium and get the project started. For what the Jets are willing to pay, Anschultz can build several SSS's. Cheap bastard.

17. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even like that damn stadium. Sure it looks like the old Ebbets Field which is nice. But that retractable roof is stupid. I hate retractable roofs and I hate how all the new ballparks look exactly alike. Well with the exception of Pac-Bell and PNC. I'll take watching games at crusty old Shea then sitting under a retractable roof any day.

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    eeww you're one of those people... ;)

Now if the new West Side Stadium is supposed paid for by the tax payers, how can the tax payer request that the stadium be used for soccer as well?

19. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a retractable roof my guess is it will have artificial turf.

20. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn straight and proud of it.
    Not necessarily. Miller Park in Milwaukee uses grass as does the BOB in Arizona.

21. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    This is messed up. We going to have a stadium in the middle of the city and we not going to have any MLS soccer in it.

Metros aren't going to move there because of the harrison project. And any expansion team in there will make MLS look like a minor league once again with football lines on the field every week and rents going through the roof.

That place would have been perfect for a SSS stadium!

22. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    Since the stadium will double as a convention center, there's either going to be artifical turf, or a real grass field that can rolled/floated outside when not in use.

The real, real reason for the roof is so they can hold the Superbowl in NYC.

23. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    J!!!
    E!!!
    T!!!
    S!!!
    JETS!!!!
    JETS!!!!
    JETS!!!!
    gotta represent

24. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is also Broadway history of the Jets on the West Side. Anyone ever see "West Side Story"?

S-H-A-R-K-S, SHARKS, SHARKS, SHARKS!!!
    J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS!!!

25. riphamilton

riphamilton Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Connecticut
    Amen.