Jesse Marsch [R]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by genpabloescobar, Oct 4, 2003.

1. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    I'm reccomending a suspension of anti-Marsch comments indefinitely. Not only does he have a nice goal tonight, but he also had one of the best post-game thank you's to the fans that I've ever seen.

Even NoMoreMarsch, if he's still around, had to be happy with that.

2. Mattinho

Mattinho Member

Jan 27, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you play enough games, pure statistics says you'll score a goal or two. Congrats to Marsch, but he remains the most unspectacular player of all time.

3. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Way to dampen the good spirits.

And I could probably name 15 current and former Fire players less spectacular than Marsch.

I'm not saying the guy is the best player on the team. I'm just saying the guy should be commended for not only coming over to thank Section 8 tonight, but climbing up onto the podium thingy, shaking hands with the fans, and giving his jersey to a fan in 40-degree weather after playing 90 minutes.

Plus he had a goal tonight, giving him two this week.

But, it's still not enough for the anti-Marsch brigade, I guess.

4. Marsch played an excellent game tonight. He had superb defensive plays tonight, too. I think he actually deserves the man of the match award tonight.

Marcin

5. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jesse Marsch has been one of our teams greatest servants, and I was shocked to hear anything bad against him, even if he may be "unspectacular." He works his butt off (when he's not scoring with it) for us every night, and we wouldn't be the same without him. He also signed my jersey after a SF game when a lot of the players walked straight off. And, he's from Wisconsin... ;)

6. No argument here. I'd say our 5 midfielders were our 5 best field players last night.

7. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I've always thought Marsch was top notch. Always underlooked and always giving 110%. If Armas wasn't the captain it should be Jesse.

Plus my wife loves him.

8. redzin

redzin New Member

Jan 6, 2000
    Jesse is a class guy. Plus he's the kind of player any Chicago sports fan (any sport) can get on board with. He gives 100%+ every game. He comes to work. Period.

And on top of that - he generally always leads the charge in thanking the fans. For what he means to the team/organization I'd have to put him right up there with Peter N, Peter W, Zach, Armas, Beasley, and a few others.

When you think of the Fire, he's one of the guys you think of. At least I do.

9. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been critical of Jesse's passing but that was a sweet goal and he does hustle every minute he is on the field.

10. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    I'll take the odd semantic position and say that with regard to the way Jesse plays, "unspectacular" isn't even an insult. You need guys doing the unspectacular stuff, and that includes passing either square or backwards instead of forwards sometimes. Without that, you're more likely to do things like lose to last place teams because you think you don't need to take care of the unspectacular stuff.

Later,
    COZ

11. AriesFlame

AriesFlame New Member

Nov 28, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    He's a very classy player (among many in the Fire organization) and a hard worker who doesn't seek to be in the highlight reels.

Despite the fact he's a Packer fan (no one's perfect), I was proud to have Marsch sign my coat 4 years ago.

12. Keeper49

Keeper49 Member

Chicago Fire, AC Milan
    United States
    Mar 28, 2000
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always had a hard time with Marsch but I have to admit he's had a good season. I hope it extends into the playoffs

You & your wife didn't happen to have season tickets in section 107 at Naperville?

Woman in front of me happens to have a Jesse Marsch jersey and wears a cap with quite a few autographs on it.

13. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Jessie was my definate pick for man of the match. He played outstanding all night long. Goal or no goal. I just voted him man of the match on the Fire site but he's way behind DaMarcus.

14. zverskiy yobar

zverskiy yobar BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 10, 2002
    And if someone posts something on Jesse Marsch youre sure to come around whining how much he sucks.

I always liked how his "unspectacular" play helped land us in MLS cup 98.cant beat that for unspectacular.I guess you probalby missed that , as it just wasnt spectacular enough for you.

15. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

My feelings exactly. And he has improved tremendously since joining the team. I no longer worry when he has the ball at his feet.

16. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    although I was unable to attend or view the game, I would like to add that I have always put Marsch up there as one of the best hustle players and (more or less importantly) one of the players that is most outgoing towards the fans. MLS is still a fairly small-time sport, but thanks to guys like Curtin, Brown, and Marsch (or Zach and Kelly in KC), who take the time out to thank individual fans, I think we´re going to be just fine.

17. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    more marsch

as coz and others can attest, leading up to and including the KC cup final, I was one of the most critical bashers of Marsch's play. However, as Coz mentioned, Jesse's job is not to be spectacular, and for the last 2 seasons he's been one of our best, most consistent players, especially this season where his grit and determination have masked the surprisingly long return to form Chris Armas is taking. Plus, Jesse is that guy who sticks up for his teammates - watch him for five minutes after a teammate has taken a cheap shot, and you nearly always find Jesse giving it back to the guy, taking a foul or yellow for the team. Add to all this that he DOES have the occasional ability to surprise in the offensive end, and I'd have to say Jesse has become exactly, if not even better than, the player everyone seemed to thiunk he was 4 years ago when I was riding him like a pack mule.

VIVA JESSE!

m

18. cc_on_fire

cc_on_fire New Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Chicago
    I agree, I think Jesse has done consistently better over the last few years. Also, I think his ball control has gotten a little flare as well (not the stuff you wear on your shirt). I was not much of a supporter of his in the early years but I am now.
    I feel bad that I told him that at a "meet the team". But before I could tell him that I thought he was improving, he walked off pissed! But he’ll probably not remember me anyway. He was pretty drunk at the time. No. Wait. That was me.

Doesn’t Jesse have more MLS Cup victories than any other player?

Go Jesse,
    Let the Players play,
    ‘cause the Haters will still hate.

Cory

19. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    I've been critical of Marsch's play in the past, as I believe he deserved it. However, he played well on Saturday. I will give him his props when it's due, and it was after Saturday's game.