jersey flag confirmation

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kryptonite, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone in Columbus, thursday night 6:30 PM.

I know the front office wants us to bring it back out.

Is anyone planning on being there to air it out? We'd be done by 7:30, or 8 at the latest.

2. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    sure, what exactly is it that we're going to do? Are we washing it, airing it out? where are we going to leave it? These are all questions I'm curious about. Furthermore, if it's a windy day, we had better have at least 10-15 in order to do this.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when i was there last week, i got it out of the box, smelled various parts of it.

it's musty, like it hasn't been aired out in a long time. no visible dirt.

so it just needs to be aired out.

right now, it's beneath the north stands.. we'll go under there, drag it out, air it out, inspect for any major damage, and repack it. if we decide that it must be washed, we'll wash it.

4. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    a project like this needs to be well thought out, you should start by trying to answer some of the questions that I've asked. For instance, it would be much easier on all of us if we could stretch it out over the field, and leave it overnight. However I realize that this may not be possible. Also, if just airing it out means for twenty minutes or so, I think we're wasting out time. If you've inspected it, and see no signs of water or dirt, then I say we just go on Thursday and set it up for Saturday. I don't think it would be a problem leaving it folded like we always do next to the stands.

Most important, are there going to be enough people in the stands to do this on Saturday? This is a question that only management can answer. When there aren't enough people, it is a complete disaster. Also, who's going to fold it back up on Saturday night?

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    136 - not well
    137 - on hold
    138 - upper half good

generally northend (meaning corner flag to corner flag) is going well.

rest of stadium is strong as well.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as for game day, the way we've done it in the past is as follows:

1) there needs to be an identified prep team - that will go into the stadium early to prepare the flag

2) that prep team should also be responsible for staying later and re-packing the flag

3) the names of that prep team need to be given to the Crew ahead of the day of the game (ideally by Wed or Thurs, but talk with the Crew and find out when they need that info)

4) If, at game time, everybody makes the call that there aren't enough people in the stands to make it work well (and people can't spread out to help this happen), then the flag is left in place, and re-packed after the game without being used

this prep team consists of usually 10 people or so.

and i'll talk to scott later today (he's giving a tour or something) about thursday and getting his approval.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...still trying to reach scott debolt.

8. swittler

swittler Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Columbus
    usually when i have a question i email scott and he usually emails me within a day or two. i could be out there thurs night to help.

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we have 2 options:

1) Air it out in the parking lot at 6:30 PM Thursday.

2) Saturday. There's a dribble pass and shoot, as well as something else on the field. So the field is off limits.

If we want to meet under the trees at 2 PM, we can then get about 10 people, go around to the back gate, unfold it on the stands, then leave it between the goal and the north stands.

Scott also said that no field passes would be given, because we're on the field for less than 5 minutes, so there's no problem. If anyone asks why we're on the field, we'd tell them Scott says it's ok.

10. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    this is what happens when I'm not in charge of something...

Pete you've completely lost me at this point. What do you want to do? If you think it needs aired out, then we can do that on thursday.

It is totally impossible for V-Army to offer you any help before 4pm on Saturday. Unless you decide that you want to go and unfurl the flag before 1pm, it's up to you. Keep in mind that going there at 1 is going to be a totally unpopular decision. We can do all this after 4pm can't we?

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're referring to the happy hour at R&T (which i'm assuming you are), then that does indeed further complicate matters.

I really don't care if i'm in charge or not. I'm just trying to get things going. I just want to see the flag this season. If we do it on the 31st, then we'll get the kinks out for the Chicago game.
    I honestly don't know how willing Scott will be to have us go in at 4. Gates are opening at 5 PM that night, and it obviously has to be set up by the time the gates are opened.

If you want the ball to be in your court, take it. Call Scott and get things straightened out. When i'm reading what you're saying, and telling scott, that does confuse things.

As for airing it out, things like that never hurt. Especially when it's been boxed up for several months.

So, if you want to be in charge, you can. I was just trying to get things moving, since I'm one of the very few (i think) people who were in 137 pre v-army.

obviously we've had differences in the past, but we need to work together on this, or nothing will be accomplished, bla bla bla....

12. Carson Daly

Carson Daly New Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Columbus
    you'd be surprised by the large amount of V Army people who have been at the games since the beginning of the stadium.

As far as doing this on saturday. Zak and I are probably going to be selling tickets in the parking lot before the game.

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    point of clarification. Anytime i refer to something "pre v-army" i mean before they were formally a group.

yeah, I know the members were crew fans long before the group formed, just referring to "pre v-army" as before anything formally happened.

14. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    so what the heck are we doing? Are we doing this on thursday? If so where are we going to do it and how long are we going to air it out. Also, how many people do we have committed to doing this?

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, i'd like to do it on Thursday. Paved parking lot beside the stadium club at 6:30 PM.

I'll try to bring a few people. How many people can you bring? That's why I need confirmation. An exact number for Thursday to tell the Crew office whether it's go/no go.

As for time, we're going to air it out until it no longer smells. The more people we have, the quicker we can get it unfolded, inspected, and re-stored.

Scott Debolt said we must re-store it. We cannot keep it anywhere except in the box.

16. Carson Daly

Carson Daly New Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Columbus
    I think I'll be getting out of work early. So I should be able to help.

17. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Pete, smells don't go away in 20 minutes.

18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok.

i'll be there hopefully shortly before 6:30. i'm asking all crew fans that I know to be there. If people can bring other people (that I don't know) the more the merrier.

What's cassie and her group doing? Can they come?

19. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carson, are you going to make it on time? I thought you'd be stuck in your closet again trying to find the perfect clothes for the game. You'd better get an early start.

:)