Jermaine Jones goes full metal jacket

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by superdave, Feb 22, 2020.

1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you figure? Jurgen's only held 4 positions as a head coach; the most recent 3 resulting in 2 terminations and 1 resignation after 2 months (resulting in subsequent termination from Hertha's supervisory board). And he's currently unemployed. Just on its own merits, that is not a good resume.

Arena was GM with the Galaxy, so he personally recruited some of those players. And regardless of what you think of Keane's career, those are all superior and better respected footballers with better careers than Jones.

2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His results for Germany and US national speak speaks for themselves. Say what you want about his time at Bayern but Arena could never sniff a job at that level. Hell he couldn’t sniff a job at Hertha level. Yes he resigned under weird situation. Still his CV is more impressive than Arena.

Keanes career wasn’t as good as Jones nor was he albeit at very different positions. Nigel De Jong wasnt as good as Jones though his career puts him on similar playing ground. The rest are all better

You’re fooling yourself if you thing those guys went there for any other reason than they wanted to live LA.

3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Most under rated and underappreciated USMNT player...

4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Def most underappreciated.

Girt repped this.
  5. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, Jurgen got many opportunities handed to him based on his status as a player that Arena did not. But he failed at most of them, probably because he didn't have the qualifications to begin with. How's that impressive?

What puts Jones' career or ability on "similar" ground of de Jong, who achieved more at a higher level both for club and country?

We can appreciate Jones without over-hyping him. And that's the point: I can think Jermaine was a great USMNT player (and I do) without wanting to be his boyfriend and agreeing with everything he says. The dude was a baller no doubt, but his comments are basically silly and petulant, not pointed critiques, and don't represent him well. There are lots of ways to criticize Arena / US Soccer without saying something that's going to get you laughed at, because only the most biased fool can't admit that for his other faults the man is a damn good soccer coach.

I'm not the one who has to shit on Arena, Keane and de Jong's careers and the decision-making of several top-level players just so I can go to bed at night thinking Jermaine Jones is the smartest person I know.

If JJ has ideas, he should do what guys like Reyna are doing and build alternative institutions where he can implement those. I truly hope he does that.

superdave repped this.
  6. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    yeah so letting high paid people go to keep more people at lower salaries who live paycheck to paycheck is very unethical.

they created zero false narrative unless you think SI going bankrupt and them purchasing it, trying to save it and then a virus hitting the us causing sports to literally stop is a lie.

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He absolutely got chances because of who he was as a player. He was elite world class player. Arena got chances in the US because we were in our infancy of soccer. He was a lacrosse coach. JK didn’t fail with Germany or the US in the first stint. Both were very successful. Second stint was cut short. We will never know if he righted the ship but we know Arena made it worse.

lol no one wants to be his boyfriend. Take your latent homophobic fears elsewhere. We can debate like big boys. He’s batshit and that chaos is part of what made him great. Him taking shots is no problem. He’s right and wrong but someone needs to take shots. Our media is too scared and I’m glad he’s stepping up and speaking his mind.

You clearly are taking this far far more personal than I am. I’m not shitting on anyone’s career. He had a more successful career than Keane. There’s no doubt. Keane still had a great career and was a good player. De Jong was an enforcer same as Jones. Jones had more skill and athleticism tho.

Welcome to sports forums. We rank and debate. If you can’t handle that go elsewhere.

You can take it as shitting on Arena but the reality is they went to the Galaxy for LA not Bruce. Don’t tell me you thing Bron went to LA because their coach or team or GM? He went to build his brand even more on the final years and to pursue other interests for post career that LA was uniquely positioned to offer.

We agree, I do hope he tries to build something and help domestic soccer in this country. It only serves to help us move forward.

8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was an assistant Lax coach at UVA, while also being the Head Soccer Coach for UVA. He was the coach there for 18 years, and won 5 national titles. He was also an Honorable mention All American in Soccer as a goalkeeper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Arena

I get it, everyone wants to compare US Soccer players and coaches to those in other parts of the world. That's fine. Arena certainly has his faults. To discredit his accomplishments though? The guy has more Draws than losses at the international level. He's won 81 games at the international level. How many American coaches are working abroad currently? How many were working abroad in the 1990's and early 2000's? Those opportunities are few and very far between today. They were essentially non-existent before 2012.

I might not like the guy, but to say he can't coach?

superdave repped this.
  9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he was a lacrosse coach first then a soccer coaching position opened in which he did both. He’s had a great career. Saying someone else had a better career isn’t discrediting anything. But his CV still doesn’t match up. Are other factors in play, absolutely. That doesn’t change anything as far as CV goes but i agree it should def be accounted for in the convo. Just like he coached at a time where his only comp in region was Mexico. Overall quality in the region has improved. In part because the MLS. However, Arena has done extremely well. Still don’t think much of him as an actual coach tho. JK and Zidane are similar for me. Both have done some impressive stuff and not so impressive stuff. Zidane will taper off and struggle to replicate his early UCL success. Just don’t rate them as coaches. Their more managers. It’s not a knock tho. To put this NBA terms, give me Pop over Phill any day.

10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take Pat Reilly over Phil any day as well.

truefan420 repped this.
  11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    The last go around showed that arena had real problems with both roster construction and tactics. The international game has passed him by - MLS is the right level for him - he’s done well there and he’s probably better when he can interact with his squad daily.

12. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like the jury is out on Jurgen's "2nd stint"; he was fired after many historic failures. Weird to make excuses for him, but not Arena, since both failed in their ultimate responsibility to get the team to the WC.

How is it homophobic? I have no issues with anyone wanting to be Jermaine's boyfriend. I've no issues with him speaking his mind, but I'm also allowed to evaluate those opinions and call them dumb (which I am).

Rank and debate is fine, but I have no real stake in comparing de Jong or Keane directly to Jones; that wasn't my point. However you feel about how those guys stack up to each other, my point was that Arena has coached players with a similar and greater pedigree than Jones and earned their respect and gotten them to achieve, so it makes me take Jones' comments with a grain of salt.

You seem to need to believe that Jones is right and Arena is a bad coach, so you downplayed the pedigree of those players, but I think you'll have a hard time proving Jones is better than Keane (and especially de Jong) to make that case.

What I said was that Arena personally recruited players like Keane, Cole and de Jong. They would not have signed with him and work for him if they did not respect him as a coach. I don't think that's a controversial statement unless, again, you were committed to believe Arena was a schmuck as a starting point.

13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Calling someone defending jones as wanting to be his boyfriend is definitionally gay-baiting and you should know that. Just own it

14. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, there was arguable actual defamation in their inter office email about his firing...

15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His two losses that in the end cost him his job were games that 1-3 points were the expected outcome. What really cost him was nothing to do with those results.

if you don’t understand it’s not worth explaining. You’re free to disagree with his comments. Never said you weren’t. Just thought it was funny that you think his opinion is subject and yours is objective. By its very nature that’s flawed.

Fair enough we can leave that. Who knows if he earned their respect. I’d love to see their comments on Bruce. I doubt any will speak their true mind unless they were pissed or loved him. If you have any links please share.

My assessment that has nothing to do with Jones comments.

If Bruce was in Cinci or San Jose not a single one of those players would have went to him. MLS and where FAs go is a joke. It’s gotten better since the early days but still a horrible market structure. Dont fool yourself. Their choice was about destination.

16. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I like Klinsmann but I'm a bit surprised how many give him a free pass for the Costa Rica loss just because we always lose there. Earlier on his tenure I thought he might be the coach to finally get us a result in that match. That we didn't even look close to having a bounce-back match after the Mexico loss was really disappointing.

DHC1 repped this.
  17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico was a fool hardy attempt to do something we’d all been pushing for. The fact they didn’t train in it was stupid. The loss was unfortunate but not unrealistic. The Coast Rica loss was rough but we always struggle and lose there. It’s hard to say you lost somewhere we never win and should overly criticized for it. The loss sucks but can be contextualized. We still should have had no issue qualifying. However, id never have brought him back for a second term. 1 and done.

18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly man it’s not even worth it. He can deal with his latent homosexual fears on his own time. I got no time for that, I’m not his therapist.

19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    It was awful - it was so clear that the players were done with him. Actually losing wasn't that big a deal but playing so poorly after losing to Mexico. His firing was long overdue.

superdave and jaykoz3 repped this.
  20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea they should have had the balls to do it after the Gold Cup. Hell they shouldn’t have given him that second contract.

DHC1 repped this.
  21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    No, what's unethical is claiming they fired him because he refused to give back to retain other employees in layoffs due to COVID-19.

They tried to paint him as the bad guy here, using deliberately misleading information.

Wahl said he was willing to take a pay cut temporarily due to COVID, but Maven wanted to make it permanent. Which doesn't jive with the temporary distress of COVID-19.

They saw an opportunity to get a commitment off the books in a manner that would have minimal backlash if they framed it dishonestly. So they did.

You could tell they knew they were doing something not on the up and up by how they proactively tried to go after him.

22. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    Lol, what? Keane scored 100 plus goals in the premier league, outside of a couple games, Jones was average in the premier league. Keane’s career at the club level far outshines Jones’, and while JJ was hugely important for the USMNT, he was just another player, Keane was one of the greatest Irish players ever, leading their all-time goal scoring chart by 47 goals, while also making the most appearances ever for Ireland, and the most appearances as the Irish captain. And I never cared for De Jong, but JJ doesn’t come anywhere close, at the club or international level. De Jong was a huge part of Manchester City’s first premier league title, and an integral part of a Dutch squad that was right there in 2 consecutive world cups, even if he’ll be remembered for the kick to xabi Alonso more than anything else. Jones was with an okay Schalke side, and an okay US side, he doesn’t come close to the other players you mentioned.

slacker, asoc, superdave and 2 others repped this.
  23. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it's calling out bias. Because I can't see how anyone can rank de Jong under Jones with a straight face otherwise.

24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    You really couldn’t make that point without gay-baiting? Is that what you’re really saying? Its what’s pre-teens did in the 70/80s. SMH.

25. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    You are confusing things and that's what grant ha a tried to do.

Si is broke thats why maven has laid off a number if writers already. They have been trying to reshape the staff for six months. Ghey asked Grant to take a cut to stay on long term with them...he declined and was let go.

You are confusing them asking him to take a temp pay cut now so they didn't have to layoff staff. With the future reshaping of the staff.

Bug picture grant isn't worth his contract....they want to pay him what he is worth...he said no....now he will go to the athletic and take an even bigger cut and in 12 months when the athletic goes bankrupt he will be writing for a local paper.