Jefferson Montero

Discussion in 'Ecuador - Players Abroad' started by BigSoccer Bot, Feb 26, 2008.

1. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Man of the Match in today's victory over Arsenal! Beast mode!!

2. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Damn I missed it but heard Montero crushed it!

3. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    There has been a very notable improvement from Montero in the last month and a half. He's evolving as a player. I see him letting go of the ball at the right moments and he's finally learning that his 1 on 1 skills need to have a purpose when they are used....and that's to either shoot or center the ball. And I see him doing exactly that. But this is exactly what will make him into the ideal version of Montero that we've all wanted to see. The premier league is molding him (and he is molding himself) into a more improved version into un jugador de primer nivel.

4. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Nobody would notice if we switch that black guy who scored with caicedo for the nt.

Luigi408 repped this.
  5. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    That's the same guy that scored two goals on us when Ecuador played France 6 years ago. It was his NT debut. Hated him ever since. Feel kind of conflicted now...

6. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Lol my thoughts exactly when I saw him haha. Too bad he made a goal with a header, everyone knows Caicedo can't do headers lol.

barcelonista1981 repped this.
  7. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
  8. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    He absolutely destroyed Calum Chambers today - all day. And that's a kid that's been called up for England already but he may never be the same after that.

9. SIN DIOS NI LEY

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    As if being called up for the English national team meant quality these days...

10. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    After Villareal, Levante, Betis and Morelia Montero finally learned to pass the ball.

Vizuete must be like.

[​IMG]

11. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, you definitely get the feeling that his time has finally arrived at club level. On the NT his breakthrough was that game against Paraguay about a year and a half ago where he just tore them apart. Finally he seems to be at the right club - not too big, not too small - where he can get enough playing time but also show how good he can be.

If you do a search there's so many articles on him now, and on the Swansea forum they have made him the new idol. You knew this was coming - the moment when he would really be recognized in Europe - and tearing up Arsenal is the way to do it.

12. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    The Premier League is another ball game. That's why I always said La Liga isn't sh*t. In 3 months that Montero is in the prem. league you can see changes in the way he plays and why he's earned his starting spot.

Montero was the same sh*t in Morelia and Betis/Levante/Villarreal. But now in Swansea in 3 months you can start seeing the changes.

13. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Only game I've seen him play was against Liverpool and he seemed like the same Montero.

14. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    You can place my comment in a negative light if you want. I prefer to look at it as how far our talent has come and continues to go.

15. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think you're right. I always thought he would be well suited for the PL. The game is less tactical and more open ended. A good pacey winger will have a lots of opportunity to use their talents. Now the key for him is to be consistent.

16. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Prior to the Arsenal game I would've said that Montero has been struggling to show his true potential. Routledge played in the left-wing position about a month ago against Newcastle and killed it, even scored a goal. I thought it was terrible news for Montero, but luckily Routledge can also play on the right wing so Jefferson was still given chances.

His stand-out performance in this match reminds me of when Antonio Valencia was still playing for Wigan and terrorized Manchester United's defense. I think that was the match that convinced Sir Alex Ferguson that he needed Toño in his squad. If Montero keeps it up, he as well might be rousing interest from bigger clubs, if he hasn't already.

17. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I also think the EPL is just more suited to wingers like Montero. The fans and managers like fast players who run down the wings and make good crosses. Teams are set up to play directly, without a lot of tiki-taka. It just suits Jeff's style better, and as a result he's back to his best.

18. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Poor Calum Chambers. The commentator in today's Liverpool-Arsenal match mentioned Jefferson Montero once in the first half and again in the second half. Looks like Chambers is never gonna live that schooling down..

19. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Assist by Montero? Against Arsenal. Boring game, I'm half asleep but it looked like a Montero assist.

20. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I think this is Montero's season. Everybody's talking about his performance vs. Chelsea last weekend.

21. GPisco

GPisco Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Toronto, On
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Montero has been phenomenal these first 2 games
    - He destoryed Ivanovic (One of the best in the EPL)
    - He got Janmaat to get a red card (two yellow b/c he couldnt stop Montero)
    - He made Sissoko pull a muscle forcing a sub at the end of the first half (trying to stop Montero)
    - He had an assist
    - 2 consecutive Man of the Match awards
    -Almost scored in both games (tip over bar by keeper vs Chelsea, hit the post vs Newcastle) maybe we'll see a goal vs Sunderland ;)

Personally i think Montero can bag a minimum of 5 assists this season as well as a few goals. He needs to work towards being able to play a full 90 as well learning to take a few more shots on goal.

22. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    At least he looked up this time.