Jeff Cooper Is Not A Victim...

Discussion in 'St. Louis City SC' started by JJCoolbean, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJCoolbean

JJCoolbean New Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Thread after thread, message after message seem to function under the assumption that Jeff Cooper is the repeated victim in his attempt to land an MLS team for the St. Louis region. This thread isn't meant to be mean-spirited, I am merely trying to discuss a few points that I believe are often misrepresented.

Let's discuss the two, in my opinion, biggest myths:

1) JEFF COOPER HAS BEEN USED/CHEATED BY MLS

Under my previous username, I started a thread almost two years ago where I questioned Jeff Cooper's financial backing. It seems MLS has had similar questions. Look, Cooper is a wealthy man. He was a partner, before selling his share, in a lucrative law firm that handled big cases involving the asbestos industry among other cases. But wealthy compared to the general population and wealthy enough to handle the ownership responsibilities of a professional sports franchise are two different matters. Cooper is obviously a millionaire, but is he worth the hundreds of millions of dollars as other sports team owners are?

MLS has a history of taking chances on when awarding teams. Several ownership groups have been granted teams with the mere promise of stadiums to come. St. Louis is about twice as big in terms of population as Salt Lake City and St. Louis is fifth in the nation in terms of Fortune 500 companies. When you also consider the history of the sport of soccer in St. Louis, and the fact that the city seems to have many advocates associated with the league, there is no reason not to give St. Louis a team from the perspective of the league.

So, that begs the question of how solid is ownership. Cooper has been talking for months about how "close" he is to solidifying his ownership group but, we still wait. If Cooper had the financial muscle, then he would be pressing the issue publically locally in the same way that the expansion efforts in other cities, regardless of the sport, have handled things. The fact that we still hear nothing suggests to me that things haven't been finalized. "Close" simply means that something isn't done.

I'm not bashing Cooper, I'm merely suggesting that he may be under-financed at this point. What if MLS becomes a bigger player on the sports landscape? If the team struggles, can Cooper afford to lose millions per year?

2) MISSOURI DOESN'T WANT AN MLS TEAM

I don't dismiss the common assertion that Jeff Cooper approached some communities on the Missouri side about a stadium for an MLS team, including the city of St. Louis, and that his plan was rejected. But, again, I think some are missing a key aspect of the discussion. That is, that Jeff Cooper was asking for public financing. That doesn't mean that Missouri communities wouldn't like an MLS team to play in a stadium in their respective community, it just means that they don't want to be on the financial hook for it. Collinsville accepted what is, I think most fair economists would agree, is a rather risky economic deal.

If Cooper's deal would have been deemed economically viable for the city of St. Louis, the deal would have been done. The city hasn't exactly been shy about handing out tax incentives and abatements! St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay was a former college soccer player with a background in the game and Mayor Slay doesn't exactly hate the sport. I can't blame Mayor Slay and company for rejecting Cooper's proposal if it was the same one accepted by Collinsville. The MLS is a league with generally shaky attendance numbers, Cooper's proposal features a lot of land dedicated to youth fields, and the residential and commercial aspects are (in my opinion) uninspired from the vantage point of the city of St. Louis. Would the city of St. Louis have had to maintain the youth fields and other upkeep issues? Where would such a large project, in terms of land, have been built? That is, which part of the city could handle such a sprawling project?

Collinsville was the single community that bit on Cooper's proposal. Good for both parites if things work out. However, let's not mistake the fact that Collinsville has apparently given Cooper what he wanted with a categorical dismissle of MLS from the various Missouri communities approached by Mr. Cooper.

MY TAKE ON MLS AND ST. LOUIS:

Look, if MLS works in Collinsville I think that's great. However, I think it's a rocky proposition. Some seem to dismiss any of the skepticism of the viablility of a Collinsville-based franchise as sour grapes and an example of being a poor fan. You know, the usual dime-store categorical thinking. But, I believe, an MLS franchise in Collinsville combined with an owner that may have limited financial means could be a disaster.

When I try and think of the optimum scenerio for success for a team in St. Louis, I agree with most of those I speak to on the topic. I, too, believe a team in the city of St. Louis would have by far the best chance of success. I would scrap the youth fields idea because I don't believe they are needed in the St. Louis area and merely gobble up more land.

My perfect location? I would try desperately to place the stadium on Delmar Avenue near the Metrolink station. If you look just to the East of the Metrolink stop, there are a few tracks of land that are either run-down strip malls or open fields. The fact that development from University City is continuing in that direction from the West and the fact that development from the Central West End is continuing from the East, that location would be perfect. The land (I checked myself) is very reasonably priced, at least, from a square feet commercial perspective. U. City and the CWE are two of the most diverse areas in St. Louis. We're talking about two of the most vibrant areas in the region! Washington University and Saint Louis University are both relatively short distances away and offer the perfect demographic for the sport. The Metrolink stop makes the place accessible for a large number in the region. Imagine the game day expericence of not only the game but a short walk to either the Loop or CWE. The atmosphere would be electric and that would be a huge asset to the team and their standing in the community, in my opinion.

No offense, although it will likely cause some, but I believe a team in Collinsville will struggle at the gate to draw all but the most die hard fans. I would expect a largely homogenius crowd that will try and replicate the things that soccer fans are supposed to do, but I don't expect it to feel authentic. Sort of like, nearly every experience throughout the MLS. A team in a city location such as the one I describe above will, I believe, offer the kind of authentic experience that will only contribute to creating the environment of each game becoming an "event."

If Mr. Cooper is fixed on the idea that public money should build him his stadium and amateur soccer complex, then Collinsville appears to be the only solution. However, if the powers-that-be consider first the big picture of what is best for the club's success, I believe they need to rethink things. I have asked city Jeff Rainford, the city chief of staff, personally if tax-related incentives could be tied to a St. Louis city MLS team and I was told that it was viable option. The contention from the city is that they don't want to assume the risk that comes with financing and then maintaing a soccer specific stadium (SSS).

What would my ideal SSS proposal look like? Besides the stadium itself, I would be sure to have a pub with a soccer-related theme (a pub that could sort of be the catch all for soccer fans to unite around - uniforms on walls and games on the television as a means of cultivating the hardcore fan interest). Other than that, I would look at it through the prism of a standard development deal. That is, I would focus on developments that make sense financially for the project as a whole and not the superfluous add-ons that undermine the big picture advantage - such as the youth fields. If it's just the SSS in the deal, then so be it. It's the issue of quality over quanity if we're looking at the long term.

If a team is added in Collinsville and ultimately fails, it will be a poor reflection on the St. Louis region as a whole. I would rather wait five years or even a decade to see the thing done right rather than see the thing bomb. St. Louis has huge assets to offer the league today and it will have those assets in the years to come. We're talking about a region of almost 3 million people, folks! Also, as I mentioned above, St. Louis is fifth in Fortune 500 companies. Combine these points with the history and there is a lot to offer with a St. Louis team in MLS. If Jeff Cooper can get it done, then good for him. Still, when/if MLS becomes more viable someone else will likely step up if Cooper fails. I'm most concerned with getting it right rather than being married to the first person who proposes.

However, the fact that Cooper appears to be underfinanced and the fact that he is focused on a deal with Collinsville officals that my several business professional friends have reviewed and find mind-boggling makes me a skeptic. (By the way, my economic friends, including my long-time girlfriend, have reviewed the proposal and their questions are more directly pointed at the Collinsville governement than at Mr. Cooper.) Again, if it works out, great. I'll attend many games myself, regardless. But, as is, I believe we're looking at situation where the team will ultimately draw about 7,000-14,000 in Collinsville in the current MLS climate with free tickets a number of those seats. I expect the club will struggle with season ticket sales from some who will balk at the idea of having to make the long drive and with the MLS being a league nearly devoid of players that would actually inspire the casual fan to go out of their way to see a game, I believe that a struggle at the gate on a game-to-game basis is inevitable. The casual fan, unless I am completely wrong, will likely not be willing to drive sixty miles to sit in 100 degree heat to watch Columbus. And what will the attendance be if the team struggles on the pitch? Also, does Cooper have the financial muscle to properly promote the team?

Some may argue that it is still a trip for those in St. Charles to travel to St. Louis city and the location I specifically mentioned above but there are key differences. First, there are several different highway options that service the city. Second, the city is familar. Everyone in the region knows the nearby Forest Park and the Zoo and the other attractions in the city. Third, a city location is much more viable for the casual fan due to the public transportation and population density of the area.

I know, I know. But the team is going to play in Collinsville so shut up already. Understood. But why? Oh, that's right - Collinsville was the one community willing to give Jeff Cooper the sweetheart deal. However, even with free rent and no taxes, I imagine a Walmart in Antartica might struggle. To me, the big picture is the long-term viability. The fact that Cooper has even publically mentioned that a team in Collinsville will have some obstacles, and yet he still remains bullish on the Collinsville project suggests to me that either he is a riverboat gambler or that he, the former lawyer, has limited his fiscal liability (in terms of organizational structure which has not been made public) and that he cannot financially make a go of it without overwhelming public financing.

My hope is that if Mr. Cooper does eventually secure additional financial backing, that he will reaccess his business model and make a broader determination as to what is best for the viability of the sport. My motive is that I want this project to succeed. Still, even taking Jeff Cooper at his best, I believe it is naive to think that best intentions automatically means success. MLS is a dicey proposition anywhere, and the more I explore the Cooper proposal the more I am a skeptic.

Fire away!

2. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I was going to attempt some come back to this, but I fell asleep about halfway through your post.

3. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Thread is closed.

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    MOD FOLLOW UP:

After receiving I few PM's, I want to add that this thread was not closed based on content.

It was closed because an almost identical post was previously made by the SAME user using a DIFFERENT user name - having multiple user names is a violation of the BigSoccer ToS.

Thus the thread was closed.