Jason Kreis in Salt Lake City

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Arelius, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    A source has informed me that Jason Kreis has been in town since last night.

2. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite a few sources have informed me that Jason Kreis has been traded to RSL for future considerations.

3. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    yeah.... .... .. ..... sorry but there has to be some hilarious joke about how the interviewer kept saying "roll" instead of "role"

5. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    I would've said we should pick Joe-Max Moore, but with Jason Kreis already on the team I think we should not pick Joe-Max, because we will already have the experienced forward we need. I feel bad for Moore though, he needs a new team. I think he's still good enough to play, but there's really no room at NE.

6. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I second that, Jason Kreis not only brings a great deal of experience, but he still is a guy that can score five to seven goals, and some assists.

A great decision by SL management.
    A good sign of things to come, hope they choose Ring over Walker for GK.

8. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    I hope MLS puts the transcript of the press conference on their site.

9. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    Wo, wo, wo.
    Dallas GM: "When Salt Lake came to us and informed us that they were prepared to make a move on Jason and guarantee him the minutes and the compensation that he felt like he deserved, it was a relatively simple decision to accommodate that request for him."

Guarantee him minutes? What if he is unproductive again next season? I expect him to do a little better away from Dallas, but he's not likely to be a super stud like the good 'ol days. There are some guys in the expansion pool that could challenge Kreis for minutes. Jamil Walker, Eliseo Quintanilla, Dipsy Selolwane, David Testo, maybe a couple more. And with Mathis maybe coming in soon...?

10. blitzzfc

blitzzfc New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Williams/Mathis next? Hmmmm. What's the latest on Keller?

11. blitzzfc

blitzzfc New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Not if Thornton goes to the Metros.

12. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    Rumor has it now that Meola is going to Metros.

13. blitzzfc

blitzzfc New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Ah. Doh! Sure hope Keller is coming here.

14. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    US Nats match last night the commentators spoke with Keller (off camera), and they believe a contract with RSL will NOT happen in 2005. They hinted it was about money considerations, and when they asked Keller about RSL he sounded "doubtful."

15. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Getting Jason Kreis is a good move on so many levels. He was hurt for a lot of 2004 and didn't fit Clarke's system (which called for speed up top and quick counter ability). Kreis won't lead the league in scoring. But as someone said, baring a terrible injury, you'll get 5-8 goals a season from him. He'll be strong on set pieces. He's also a good guy to have in the club house, knows MLS (and since you won't get many starters out of the expansion draft and your coach hasn't coached in MLS for a while, that does matter). He'll be a team leader. Most of all (for an expansion team), he'll be an easy guy to market. I'm betting he'll be the public "face" of the team in marketing efforts, ticket sales and initial interviews.

Keller just went on trial to Southampton for a month. In the meantime, given the talent out there, RSL would be crazy to not choose a starting GK.

Bottomline: he's a smart pickup for your team in many ways.

16. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    He's not. I don't understand why anyone would think otherwise beyond that usual thing for us --> having hope feels good. There's not reason he's going to walk away from what he's making with his current contract with Spurs (one would assume 6 figures since he was startnig the previous 2 years in the premeirship) for what? $250k/yr? I think he's going to stick it out in europe for another season beyond this. Then we'll see where he ends up.

17. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Brief segment from the press conference introducing him was on local news. Click on the following link to open the video file: the RSL segment follows that on the Jazz:

http://helix.ksl.com/video/ksl/2/222/22267.ram

The Magpie

18. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those like myself who despise Real Audio and refuse to install it, no, it's not available in any other format apparently. Too bad for us.

19. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    FWIW, it was a pretty fair segment: looked like a fair number of press at the event, some nice, well-spoken comments from Kreis... the event looked "major league," nicely done by the RSL brass.

20. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004

He has said that he wants to finish career in MLS. Whether that means this year or next, and whether or not that actually means he gets to RSL are different questions. But when he's said he wants to come, that pretty much throws the money thing out the window. And isn't $250,000 six figures?

The unfortunate situation is that RSL can't just make a deal with Keller. The deal has to be between MLS and Tottenham, two relatively unnafected parties. Tottenham may still want him, or they may want a big transfer fee MLS doesn't want to pay. Money is an issue, but it's not Keller's salary that may be holding this up.

21. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha ha.. thanks, but I was actually there in the front, below the cameras. I just wanted to see how they covered it on TV! :)

22. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    We really don't need Keller anyway, with the talented keepers in the expansion draft. We can get a great goalkeeper for a much smaller price just by drafting one. I'd love to have Countess or Walker as of now. I think my pick would be Countess, he's a young talent and he knows it, but he also knows he's still got a lot to prove. If given a starting spot on a new team, I bet he'll perform brilliantly.

23. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're hoping to put together a little "welcome" gift for our new player, to give to him tomorrow at the Expansion Draft party. Anybody who wants to contribute, post here or PM me or see all the chatter about it at:

That Other Forum

24. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
  25. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Good find. Countess is probably not too expensive so he would be a great addition and leave the door open for Keller should that work out.

Something I didn't think about with the Keller deal, is that if it's a transfer, MLS is I believe obligated to keep the same contract that he has at Tottenham, which is probably well above the league max. Then the question is when does his contract expire with Tottenham? If they can do a loan there might be around it, but a loan has other obstacles as the article pointed out, like the 48-hour recall thing and the different seasons.