Japan's October Vacation: vs Tunisia (10/8), vs Romania (10/11)

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by skipshady, Sep 25, 2003.

1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    So two weeks to go before the big road trip for Japan NT.

- Tsuneyoshi Miyamoto will miss the trip after falling into the shower door after the draw vs Kobe in which Gamba blew a 2-0 lead in the last 20 minutes.

- Zico will call up all 11 former and current national teamers in Europe. Includes regulars Nakata, Nakamura, Ono, Inamoto, Yanagisawa, Takahara and Suzuki, as well as Kawaguchi, Hiroyama, Fujita and Toda, the last 3 receiving their first call ups since Zico took over.

- Zico will not call up players from Urawa, Shimizu, Iwata and Kashima because of conflict with the Nabisco CUp semifinals. This includes Tsuboi and Yamada (Urawa), Alex, Ichikawa and Morioka (Shimizu), Hattori and Fukunishi (Iwata), and Ogasawara, Narahashi, Akita, Motoyama, Sogahata and the injured Koji Nakata (Kashima).

- With Miyamoto's injury and the absence of Alex, Tsuboi and Yamada, Zico will field an entirely new backline from the past 4 games. Let's hope he uses this opportunity to try some new players like Araiba..

2. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    it is such a great opportunity to get rid of some of our plagues such as alex, koji nakata, and possibly miyamoto. miyamoto is solid most of the time but when he makes mistake it's always a deadly one and usually cost the entire game e.g. honduras, belgium, and colombia. yanagisawa better perform well this time. in the senegal game he was a comedian rather than a striker.

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Miyamoto will be a good coach one day. I don't think he's international calibre defender though.

So how do you think they'll lineup?
    My uneducated guess:
    ---------------Narazaki
    ?----Nakazawa?-----Matsuda?-----Araiba or Nemoto?
    ------Ono (Endo)-----Inamoto----
    ------Nakamura----Nakata-----
    -----------Yana-----Taka-----------

I would actually prefer to see the combination of Ono and Nakamura in the attacking midfield that was so effective during Sydney Olympic qualifiers. Then, Nakata can replace Zico on the bench and that should keep the anti-Zico crowd happy

4. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    This will be very interesting. I hope he gives Europe B team some playing time. Some of them are unknown quantities.

5. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    ha ha ha, Miyamoto, what an idiot...........

and Yanagisawa is a comedian, he can't play striker, unless it is at night time.............

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    If you love Yana, you'll love this site: http://www2.justnet.ne.jp/~klf/
    Scroll down a bit and you'll see his legendary "Cyclone Shoot" against Senegal. Enjoy.

Anyway, Zico announced the squad for the trip, and guess what, he was just kidding about leaving out the players in the Nabisco Cup semis. Santos, Tsuboi and Yamada will miss the Tunisia match but they'll dress for the Romania match.

GK: Doi (FC Tokyo), Kawaguchi (Nordsjaelland) Narazaki (Nagoya)
    DF: Atsuhiro Miura (Tokyo Verdy) N. Yamada, Tsuboi (Urawa) Matsuda, Nakazawa (Yokohama Marinos), Santos (Shimizu), Tejima (Kyoto), Kaji (FC Tokyo)
    MF: Fujita (Utrecht), T. Yamada (Tokyo Verdy), H. Nakata (Parma), Hiroyama (Montpellier), Nakamura (Reggina), Inamoto (Fulham), Ono (Feyenoord), Endo (Gamba Osaka)
    FW: Suzuki (Heusden-Zolder), Yanagisawa (Sampdoria), Takahara (Hamburger) Okubo (Cerezo Osaka)

Projected starting lineup vs Tunisia:
    ------------ Narazaki
    Kaji -- Matsuda -- Nakazawa -- Miura
    -----------Inamoto -- Ono-------------
    -------Nakamura ------- Nakata ------
    -------------Yana --- Taka -----------

Good to see Matsuda back in the squad.

7. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    ono should be benched. endo filled the spot already. or since we already know how we can do with nakata & nakamura combo, we can see ono & nakamura this time. why didn't zico just leave out tsuboi, yamada, and alex?

8. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I agree with you completely, especially about trying Ono and Nakamura together.

The last time they played together as attacking midfielders was in Olympic qualifying right? And yeah the selection of Tsuboi, Yamada and Alex is surprising.

9. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Romania named 17 foreign based players to the squad. I like Romanian names.

GK: Lobont, Stelea, Hutan
    DF: Contra, Chivu, Miu, Rat
    MF: Stoica, Pancu, Codrea, Munteanu, Cernat
    FW: Mutu, Ganea, Niculae, Bratu, Mitea

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is the most Romanian names not ending in "u" that I've ever seen.

I would expect Japan to be able to handle Tunisia (even as an away team), but I imagine playing in Romania isn't easy.

11. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    wow, that looks like something out of a comic book! The cyclone shoot, man I remember in Asia Cup Troussier brought on Yanagisawa, and someone played a ball to him in the box and he let it run through his legs, when obvioulsy there was no one for the dummy ball to go to, and he was promptly sub'ed out after 5 long minutes in the match!

I think we should start preparing another one of those F*** You Japan shirts for Zico....... let's see we beat Korea on that crappy goal, and we beat crappy New Zealand..... what is our record? 3-6-3?

12. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    In Zico's defense, look at the teams Kawabuchi lost to. Malaysia and Indonesia?

Bad news: Naoki Matsuda withdrew from the squad because of lower back pain and was replaced by Mitsuru Nagata of Kashiwa. I didn't know this but Matsuda suffers from spondylosis, a back condition where there is seperation between the bones in the vertebrae.

13. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I don't know if the time that Nigeria brought to Japan was that much better than Thailand........

14. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    nigeria is weak if it's a or b. they are all dumb. didn't we nearly beat their full team in england? senegal is the real deal in africa.

15. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Another injury in the defense.
    Kazuki Tejima (Kyoto) has been dropped and replaced by Teruyuki Moniwa (FC Tokyo) from Japan U-22.

16. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Damn, they're really experimenting in the backline there! The only match where Japan's backline was really tortured was the 2nd game versus Argentina. The others have been fairly decent, just a mistake (usually off a set piece) that proved the difference. Still, it's good to see experimentation. Moniwa is a DF that can score. More interesting is Mitsuru Nagata (Reysol) on the team.

17. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    I've only heard about that "Cyclone Shoot."

Unbelievable. Just how did he succeed on doing so? :D

18. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    god I can finish better than yanagisawa, think Japan will call me up for the National Team?

19. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I think you have to play for a European club first. Or cut your hair like Okubo.

Speaking of strikers, Takahara is now ruled out of the Tunisia match and questionable for Romania after picking up an eye injury against Bourussia Mšnchengladbach this weekend.

Romania also lost a player, Cosmin Contra of Atletic Madrid.

20. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I dyed it red last summer and spiked it up, is that good enough?

21. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Uh, sure. I'll get Zico on the phone.

[​IMG]
    New away uniform. The gray front panel wasn't popular in Japan?

22. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    that gray was really ugly. i had many people here said that's the coolest part. i never understood it.

23. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    sweet, make sure to tell him about my hat trick performance over the weekend!

better yet, hit him really hard over the head and dress up Osim like Zico, then Japan will win!

and are those gray socks? Damnit, I want White socks on my away kit!

24. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    It's hard to tell, but I think the shirt's supposed to be beige too.
    [​IMG]

Japanese players leaving for Tunisia. Okubo looks like a yakuza, doesn't he? Put him in a dark suit and next to a pimped out Mercedes, you'd never know he's a soccer player.
    [​IMG]

25. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Romania squad...

Goalkeepers: Bogdan Lobont (Ajax), Emilian Dolha (Rapid Bucharest), Sebastian Hutan (Sheriff Tiraspol).

Defenders: Flavius Stoican (Dinamo Bucharest), Iulian Miu (Bursaspor), Ionut Rada (Universitatea Craiova), Mirel Radoi (Steaua Bucharest), Adrian Iencsi (Rapid Bucharest), Florin Soava (Rapid Bucharest), Cristian Chivu (AS Roma), Razvan Rat (Shakhtar Donetsk).

Midfielders: Ianis Zicu (Dinamo Bucharest), Paul Codrea (Palermo), Andrei Cristea (FCM Bacau), Daniel Pancu (Besiktas Istanbul), Dorinel Munteanu (VfB Wolfsburg).

Forwards: Nicolae Mitea (Ajax), Ionel Ganea (Bursaspor), Adrian Mutu (Chelsea), Nicolae Dica (Arges Pitesti), Florin Bratu (Galatasaray), Claudiu Raducanu (Steaua Bucharest).

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-romaniasquad&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Should be a good test for the Japanese side...