Japan U-20 vs. USA U-20

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Shaster, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    hi hama-sama. why arent you sleeping? its past bed-time.

2. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    i have a lot to think

3. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    are you thinking about me?

I hate college. I have to do my homework now. Bye.

4. daraverla

daraverla New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I know this isn't quite a forum for academic analysis, but here we go.

Anyone who argues which team is best among Korea, Japan, and USA first should ask himself which method of "logics" he will use here. Without first establishing acceptable criteria to base our overall "objective" (I know, this word should be banned for the purpose of this whole argument) arguments here, there is no point in arguing which team best.

For instance, the overall win-loss record of Korean team against Japan (in the context of history throughout) is overwhelmingly lopsided. (I am not sure exactly what the records are, but I am guessing something like 50 wins and 12 losses for the Korean side.) To a lesser extent, the win-loss records for the past 10 years still favors the Korean team. However, anyone who still argues Korea is "better" than Japan misses a point here. While the Japanese side might not have performed well against Koreans, their champioship in the last Asian Cup and their 2nd-place run during the WC youth tournament clearly shows that they are more accomplished and hence, more respected by Europe and, for that matter, also by Americans. Many still believe that the performance by the Korea during the WC 2002 is clearly manipulated by the enormous capital surpluses incurred by the Korean governement, despite many ample evidence showing otherwise. (Trust me, we are not that rich to bribe every single ref used in the Korean matches. I think the more plausible explanation should be mentioned in the context that the refs were somewhat intiminated against calling (or not calling) plays that would change the course of the matches in front of a frantic Korean crowd who has the history of violence against and obsession with any pale-looking European.) Thus, with the exception of the last WC, Japan is more accomplished in terms of international tournament, despite playing poorly head-to-head against Korea. So, what do we say about this? Korea is "better" than Japan, but Japan is actually "better" than Korea in matches not played in head-to-head? Not surprisingly, we have a paradoxical claim here.

The same goes for the US. While the US has not accomplished as much as Japan or Korea in recent years (We are not interested in Copa America or Gold Cup tournament here), its convincing win over Mexico (no Nepal here, by any means) along with a string of wins against Germany and Brazil in recent memories clearly shows that the US is clearly more favorably matched against the top dogs-caliber teams than either Korea or Japan is. In other words - never mind the head-to-head matches - , I am more inclined to know which team would fare better in collective international tournament played in neutral site than which team would be better in a friendly head-to-head matchups.

Without a series of annual feast between the three teams, no one can objectively argue a single team is clearly better than the others. Heck, even Iran could make claim that it's best among the group since Iran beat the US in only the match played in my recent memories during the France WC. (And Iran beat Korea 6-2 in a sound, convincing win about 8 years ago. And Iran beat Japan last summer during the Asian Game with olympic teams for both sides.)

Having finished my "babbling" here, I wouild like to now ask the moderator to place this thread in the proper World Rivalry section so that anyone who is eager to express "subjective" opinion would be allowed to do so in a manner consistent with the one displayed in the World Rivalry forum - that is, with a full of stereotypes, profanity, Pearl Harbor-related incidents, "dog-eating uncivilized" remarks, and "first-cousin marriage sick country" references.

5. daraverla

daraverla New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    By the way, my "subjective" mind tells me that half-white (preferably American) and half-Japanese chicks are the best-looking in the world. (A mother has to be Japanese, not the other way around)

Keep bashing on...

6. daraverla

daraverla New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Or, if I have a range of choices (God forbid those Arab countries), I would have an American babe for a sex partner, a Japanese angel for a wife for cooking, cleaning, and nurturing pupose since japanese chicks have no personality, and a Korean honey for mistress.

And since cheating on spouse is stricktly prohibited in Korea, I would like to have these arrangements in America.

And I would have a Chinese chick with all that family inheritance money as my best friend.

7. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    dont believe i missed this fun post the whole time....

youth, I couldnt care less. Americans can keep bringing up all these new player that may play in england, but korea and japan probably have just as many talents springing up. Korean U-xx teams suck though. We barely beat honkong the other day.

As for to argue US, Korea or Japan, I'd choose Korea (probably because I'm korean). If you look at the World Cup and the content of the games played, its hard to argue otherwise (US lost to Poland and Japan didnt even put up a fight against turkey). Korea also frigging dominated two friendlies with japan.

8. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Did anyone attend the U-20 game and can provide a report on it.

9. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
  10. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Yeah, I saw that report, I learned that EJ can hit a PK and Jordan Stone is a hack.

I was hoping for a little more detail.

It's funny, guys can drone on and on about how a team woulda, or coulda, or shoulda done (as above) but when a team actually goes out to kick the ball, nobody knows anything.

11. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    When push comes to shove, we lose.

That much we know.

12. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Well, the match was closed to the public as it was held on one of the training fields at HDC, not the main stadium (though they ended up letting in anyone who showed up) so there's very little press, and certainly no TV.

But here's GersMan's account of the match: http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/NationalTeams/20031008193640/view
    And player evals for the US U-20: http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/NationalTeams/20031009055330/view

That's as detailed as it's going to get.

13. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    This is actually one of the few interesting comments made in this entire thread (though some parts of Essvee's post, further back were also promising.

As Ive already said several times before, I dont think it is possible to evaluate which team is better, though if you want to take a historical perspective I dont thing anyone (well, anyone with half a brain, at least) could dispute that Korea are the best of the three over the past 50 years. But this needs to be taken in context -- football in Japan (and the US for that matter) only gained prominence in the past decade or so, and since then it is clear from both international performances and head to heads that the imbalance is changing. The only question is whether Japan has caught up, has already passed, or is still behind (and I think that is a question that cant really be answered).

However, I think I can offer some insight into why Korea has a better head-to-head result against Japan but the results are quite different when they play other teams (that is, assuming it isnt already obvious to you). As a Korean poster on this board noted during the World Cup, you have to consider the dirrerence in motivation. For Koreans, doing better than Japan is a matter of life and death. For Japanese, so long as Japan performs well enough to look respectable, nobody could care less about what Korea does. This difference in intensity carries over to head-to-head performances, where Koreans always seem to have more energy and intensity.

Fron the standpoint of national teams, one MIGHT argue that this makes Korea better. Players who are representing Korea often play above themselves, as a matter of national pride. I think this can sometimes be seen in the US's performances as well. Japan often lacks that intensity of national feeling, and I personally consider this to be a weakness. However, I think Japan often makes up for this weakness with poise and "cool" (as well as a concentration on technical skill, rather than speed and aggressiveness). Japan doesnt often get "spectacular" results like Korea's winning goal against Italy. But at the same time, you rarely see them self-destruct due to loss of poise like Korea's collapse against Mexico in 1998.

At the end of the day, I think you end up at the same point that I started -- unable to say that either one is "better" or "worse". But I do think that this helps explain why Japanese players tend to be more attractive to European clubs, but Korean players tend to have better individual performances in NT matches (particularly against Japan). A European club doesnt often consider intensity, effort and "guts" when evaluating a potential signing. They want to see steady, consistent performances even in dull, boring and meaningless matches. And at least comparing the crop of Japanese players who came of age in the 1999 WYC, I think their technical skill and poise is a shade superior. Then again, if you visit the message boards of the European teams, you will constantly see complaints about how Ono, Nakamura, Inamoto et al. seem to lack energy and intensity.

14. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    i never forget about you even a second.
    homework for what class? i miss the days at college.

15. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Wow me too. I had hw for calc and econ. I hate calc. now i have a midterm in pysch and a quiz in econ and math. i miss highschool.

16. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    find any nice girls? it's always good to be in college.

17. Stinkey Turner

Dec 15, 2000
    What's your point? It was a friendly.

18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    You forgot to recharge your SarcasmDetector 3000.

19. BadAzzSnowboarder

BadAzzSnowboarder New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    Can't believe I missed this gem. Hama's great at sneak attacks... kkkkkkkk

Oh and I don't drive rice rocket hondas or "AZN'nd-out" Mustangs. I drive a '02 Chevy Silverado.

20. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    was that sneaky to you? i always try to make things as obvious as possible.

21. BadAzzSnowboarder

BadAzzSnowboarder New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    Well, Hama, I've always noticed you were sneaky with your posts. A lot of outright hate in your posts but even in your normal posts there's been some sneakiness intact. A hidden agenda of sneakiness if you will.

Sneaky sneaky.

kkkkkkkkkk

22. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    whatelse should i do? i always insult and despise what i hate because i hate it. those posts you believe left intact could be the ones edited by those stupid moderator such as skipshady and korean football. i really hope all of them to get banned.

btw where is your yellow card?

23. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    There are nice girls everywhere. But it rains all the time here so i dont like the way they dress. I should get to know more white girls.