Japan U-20 vs. USA U-20

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Shaster, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I thought we already talked about CONCACAF vs. AFC. 45.Iran, 49.Saudi Arabia, 68.Thailand, 75.Iraq, 77.China, 78.Kuwait. Now Iraq has recently destroyed a team of US marines so props to them. 19.Costa Rica, 41.Hondurus, 46.Jamaica, 57. Cuba, 58. TnT, 66.Guatamala. The FIFA rankings are fvked up like The Coked Up Werewolf. But I'm willing to bet that the teams ranked 3-8 from CONCACAF would, in a home and away series, "shut down the AFC teams the first game and destroy them the next". Now AFC has more depth, Guam would kick Montserat's lilly be-ach ass, but those little countries don't mean crap in WCQ. Was there a game/scrimmage today.

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    We did, and it's really irrelevant to this debate. I only brought it up because someone else mentioned the FIFA ranking, which can be easily skewed by region strength and scheduling quirks (like Korea and Japan hosting the last WC).

There's no denying that no matter how good or bad the rest of the continent is, Japan and Korea are ahead of the pack, just as Mexico and USA (and to some degree, Costa Rica) are.

<shaking moderator stick>
    Let's keep the discussion to USA, Korea and Japan, with a focus on youth. Most of the other stuff is either irrelevant or beaten to death already.

3. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
  4. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    See Hama, I won't delete your posts if they're funny like that.

I only mention Korea just because that's the course the discussion took.

And if anyone cares, Japan U-20 defeated USA U-20 2-1, which means Japan will go on to dominate international soccer while USA will go the way of fellow Concacafers Montserrat and Turks & Caicos Islands. Or not.

5. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    again, I think this shows how being able to speak the English language can help you a lot.

Notice how American players end up somewhere around England when they go to Europe. It's almost always England. And did I already mention how it is crucial for goalies to be able to constantly communicate with the team? Not surprised to see them in England.

6. Espiro

Espiro Member

Dec 9, 2001

Yes, for sure, the mighty Trinidad & Tobago, Cuba or Guatemala or even Honduras with all their world class players (big joke right here...) will shut Iran down in the first game and destroy them in the next ;) dream on.... dreaming is not forbidden.
    But you should know that Iran has never lost a qualification match at home.... but surely Guatemala and the rest will take care of that LOL :p

7. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Actually, there are quite a few Americans playing the lower divisions in Germany, where there are probably fewer cultural differences compared to other European nations.

But I think a lot of it has to do with necessity - remember that MLS only has 10 teams, with small squads (less than 20 players, right?) and not all clubs have reserve or youth sides. So for a youngster who wants to play professionally, domestic options are pretty limited if he can't make an MLS squad. Then, the choices become the A-League (or lower), college (which in my opinion stunts player development with the short season and the liberal substitution rule) or Europe. And when you consider the money and the quality of training, it's should be a no brainer - go to Europe.

8. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Youth development, National sides, and domestic leagues -

Discussions and comparisons have been made and valid conclusions have been drawn. BUT

Japan has been the leader of the pack and still is the leader between the US and Korea. Their J.League, regardless of level of skill, average age, and attendances, youth development, still has the upper-hand by a great amount. Organization along the lines of working with the National squads and youth squads is by far outstanding. Japan continually succeeds in producing top-tier players each year.

Meanwhile, the United States still has complicated issues to resolve. Soccer is obviously not a popular sport by any standards at all in the U.S. The United States has a strong league and strong sides. But they fail to produce quality youngsters. By this i mean that youths should be a product of a national/FA plan in general (look at the Dutch and the French) where they experience competitive soccer at a younger age, whereas as opposed to playing kick-ball and pick-up games at a nearby park or playing for a JV team at age 16. Also, can we draw a valid conclusion that the league itself, regardless of skill, is very competitve and organized? The base of soccer in the US are obviously made up of college kids and the A-League. How are we going to say that a National squad who has ugly conditions like these mentioned above is better than a country who are taking leaps and bounds, striving forward for better, stronger, and faster players?

Korea is no exception. However we are making progress. Our olympic squad are the first generation players from youth clubs, youth academies, and a general base plan created by the KFA. We have players playing in Europe at an early age and returning for the benefit of our domestic league by the time they hit 18 or 19. The K-league now has 13 professional sides, and we are slowly building the ground for the K2. Competition between clubs and its firing up rivalries (yes, derbies do exist in Korea) can only improve the league in terms of skill, organization, and interest. But where is the United States?

However, I have to admit that the United States is an undeniable factor in the world of soccer in years to come. An undepletable and an unending fountain of youth, infrastructure, and population will surely boost US Soccer in short years to come. But as of the moment, concluding that one side is better than the other by simple friendlies and a few games is a total joke. Overall, Japan is the best and there is no question about it. Lets come back to this conversation after Korea and the US have a comparable domestic league to the Japanese one.

9. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Must avoid yellow card. Espiro too easy of a target. Stay on topic, stay on topic, must stay on topic. Sounds like a decent game for the US, good game for Japan. I hope we meet in the second round with both our squads at full strength. Kept my composure, stayed on topic, no personal attacks, decent post.

10. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    This is the most amusing topic Ive seen in quite some time. Reminds me why I hardly visit this message board any more, except for an occasional laugh.

Not to be provocative, but I have just one thing to add to the discussion, for those US fans who are convinced that the US "rools":

Bottom line
    Japan 2 - 1 USA

11. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Pretty funny nowadays probably, but Dwight Yorke of Trinidad and Tobago back in his prime (with Man U) was certainly world class.

12. Espiro

Espiro Member

Dec 9, 2001
    BobMorocco,

say what you want to say. Or do you just hide the fact that you got nothing to say about my post?
    You dont have to attack me personally when you dont agree with my posts, and theres no composure to keep.

13. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    so when will they play the game?

14. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    No many US fans think that US will rools in the U-20 because 1 keeper and 3 defenders are from College rank. Also for the score, you have to know US has only 10 men in last 25 min. when Japan scored the winning goal. Also all US European players (especially two defenders) are not come back for this game.

15. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Don't underestimate Honduras. They are a very good team.

16. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Ummmm . . .

Yes, this obviously proves that the US is best.

After all, the US managed to lose by only one goal, on home turf and with a US referee, scoring their lone goal on a questionable PK while the opponent scored both goals from the run of play. Obviously this proves that the US is far, FAR better than the team they lost to (^c,~)

17. JPFN

JPFN New Member

Aug 18, 2002
    it
    About U-20JAPAN NT,the players of 4 teams who belong to Kashima/Iwata/Urawa/Shimizu for YamazakiNabisco CUP Semifinal were absent. Naruoka which is the ace was an injury, and since Nagata was staying in Tunisia together with JapanNT, they were also absent.
    And they needed to fight also with the jet lag.
    I do not think that they were good condition.

18. Lord15

Lord15 New Member

Jun 20, 2001
    Southeast
    does anyone remember?

Does anyone remember that Korean idiot that wouldn't shut up about our U-17's losing 3-1 to the Korean 17's in a friendly.

This is that guy translated from korean to japanese.

If you beat us in a World Cup - you win. Until then (repeat after me), "It's only a friendly - it doesn't mean anything."

BTW - You think that Korean guy is still having having nightmares about a 14 year old?

19. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Re: does anyone remember?

Knock knock . . .

OK, I realise that you may not be able to base your comments on an accurate knowledge of my past positions on these issues. Personally I find all of these ridiculous playground spats about whose team is better to be nothing but drivel.

The US, Japan and Korea are all members of a "second tier" of teams, not as strong as countries like Brazil, France, Argentina or Germany, but capable of putting up a good fight and springing an upset on one of the "big boys" from time to time. Any attempt to be more specific than that is ludicrous. If you selectively choose the basis for your argument, I guarantee that you will be able to "prove" that "your" team is best. But by the same token, the other guy will be able to "prove" just the opposite.

My comments were directed at those who were spouting nonsense about how much better the US team is than Korea or Japan. The US lost the match. That is a fact, and nothing you or anyone else might say will change it.

Of course that doesnt "prove" that Japan is "better". And trust me, Im the LAST person on Bigsoccer.com who would ever argue such a thing.

But it sure as heck makes a mockery of anyone who thinks they can "prove" that the US is better.

20. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: Re: does anyone remember?

Well, you hardly post here any more. Hardly anyone knows what your past positions on any issues are.

:)

21. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    The biggest problem for the US is the lack of continuity from one level to the next, I think. Youth soccer is run by people who don't understand the sport, and basically regard soccer as something to occupy hyperactive kids until they settle down. There's no real effort made to identify the best athletes and to keep them from choosing other sports.
    Then, you have high schools and travel teams/Olympic Development Program that are competing against each other. And you have MLS's limited ability to develop players, and college soccer which basically stunts player growth.

US soccer is viable, only because of the sheer number of participants imho. But you know there are problems when two of the most talented players the country has produced, Landon Donovan and Clint Mathis, were both in danger of falling through the cracks because their families couldn't afford to keep them on travel teams.

22. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Goddamn it! I just accidentally erased a 500 word post that kicked a$$. It talked about how I meant Iran vs. Costa Rica, who are slightly, only slightly, maybe microscopically better than the world power known as TnT. I talked about how I didn't know if a glancing header off a free kick was considered in the run of play or not. Don't know, but if I did oh boy that would be hell-a-sweet, maybe kicka$$. I talked about "Total Quality Management", Japan's unbearable military expenses and how they hinder its economy. Japan's superior YOUTH system and their not so advantageous and maybe non-existent technical advantage: Friedel, Pope, Bocanegra, DMB, JOB, Reyna, Lewis, Donovan, McBride, Adu all of whom lack technical talent. I talked about how a Japanese government Website on business relations with Japanese companies said that the word for opinion has a very negative connotation in Japan, and I thought this explained why America is better in sports where a bit of selfishness is good. I talked about the inferiority of the Soviet air force command structure, as demonstrated in the Middle East. To me it seams that an emphasis on playing the perfect game, one with no risks no individual brilliance, total compliance to the manager's tactics and will is horrible. The Bruce knows this; the Bruce knows that you must be like water. Water will conform to whatever shape you put it in. If you put it in a glass it will become the glass, if you pour it into some crazy octopus Popsicle mold it will become that too. Water can flow and move around an opponent but it can also be hard and score on a quick counter attack. It seems from Olympic medal totals that the USA is athletically superior to all other countries. So the only thing that can keep us from domination is tactics, system, and a lack of interest. The current skill set of the top US U-23 players of all ages will be, with their great physical tools, enough to shortly supply the depth required to be superior.

23. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    are there any ways to limit korean and us fanboys' post to once and at most 100 words in a day? win or lose, it's always an absolute madness

24. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    hahah you may actually be right on this one.