January Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ripmstr, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    Curiously, why didn't we try to get Fabio Cannavaro? I don't know if he'd move to Eng. or anything about his opinion, but he was available obviously and why didn't we try?

I have been hearing great things about Boumsong especially recently.

Apart from Boumsong and King, who are exceptions to non-experienced players, I think we need an experienced CB to add stability and experience, especially in the CL.

I keep dreaming for a Arsenal v Juventus or Arsenal v AC Milan CL matchup but all I envision is Arsenal getting creamed!

Let me not bring up what I think about the upcoming Arsenal v Chelsea match.

We desperately need an experienced or exceptional CB and Wenger is completely blind to this. If he's not doing anything about it, he's ignorant about it. I don't know what's going on with this situation from his perspective, but it doesn't give him another point for amazing manager.

Forget Trabelsi from Ajax and anyone else, Wenger, we need a CB!

2. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    See, that's interesting, because Kuffour plays at Center-back. He'd move on a Bossman?

My viewing of Bayern has been nil this season, but from last year I remember Kuffour wasn't all that impressive in the way, say, Terry might impress. Kuffour is a big, imposing figure...I just don't know if he's what's needed. I'd lump him in with Toure and Cygan. He's no star CB.

Wenger may have the same problem as Perez over at Real, come to think of it. They both have difficulty splurging for defensive standouts. It's clearly needed, though.

Thoughts?

3. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sky has a story about Wenger bringing Emanuel Eboue over from Beveren during the transfer window. Sky story here I have never heard of this player and know nothing about him. Anyone got any info? I will say that he doesn't sound like the experienced defender most of us are hoping for. On another thread i brought up Roma's financial trouble their position near the bottom of the table and wondered if it could be an opportune time to make a run at Mexes, or Chivu for that matter. Roma story- Sky Any thoughts?

4. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I seem to recall reading some article about a team wanting to loan in Michael Owens due to injury situations but was not able to due to some FIFA regulation about the number of times a player can be sold within a year. I don't know the details of that rule or if I read it right or not, however.

Eboue trained with the club in preseason and, I believe, went on the preseason tour so Rick has probably seen him play in person.

On the topic of Ivorian from Beveren (or at least formerly of), isn't time for Yaya to join his brother yet?!? :D

5. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Eboue did play in pre-season, I saw him in the second half at Barnet. Yaya went to the Ukraine last year IIRC, one of the Donetsk teams I think.

6. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Eboue did ok, lively, keen to impress, but hard to judge whether he'll make the grade. I don't think there's much point in getting in an 'average to good' CB, who'd need 1/2 a season to get sorted to the Premierships pace etc., at which point we'll have Senderos etc. pushing for a place, and I don't know of any World Class CBs who are looking for a move (except Campbell ;) ).
    But think about it, Cole and Campbell are world class, Lauren is one of the best RB's in the league, Toure a top CB. The problem is not the players, but how they play. Would a new CB improve things ? I know a lot of people complain about Cygan, but we let in 4 goals against Spurs and he wasn't really at fault for any of them, our mistakes are generally collective mistakes. If we need a replacement I'd go for a new Defensive Coach not a player.

OH and I don't want Beckham either, he doesn't have Freddie's surging runs, will get less goals from open play, is older, won't tackle back any more than Freedie does and will get depressed when after pinging in a prefect cross watches our forwards duck out of the way rather than head it in the back of the net!

The only good reason for Beckham is corner taking where it seems generally impossible to get past the 1st man (ARGH!)

7. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree that Cygan couldn't be directly faulted for any of the goals on Saturday, but he is the most experienced man back there and I think the point is that you would be looking for him to be a leader in that defence. Also, at 6'5'' you would expect him to be dominant in the air like Campbell can be. He doesn't win enough in the air for a bloke his size. Between himself, Vieira and Toure I'd expect them to deal with set-pieces a lot better.

8. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Kuffour was not a CB, rather on the flanks... and he was great out there. Of course he's older now, but he has a decade of top flight football under his belt, and is good in the air... so it would be good to have him.

9. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Chivu would be a massive move for the club... slides toure out to RB..
    so sign campbell and Chivu.. too skint for that? perhaps

10. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another name thrown out by the Guardian is Marco Ne from Beveren. Their website has him listed as a midfielder, but i'm guessing that he is versatile like Toure? Apparently he has had a trial at Arsenal at some point. Anyone know anything about him? Well, it hardly seems the most glamorous possible signing but something tells me that whatever CB comes in will not be a big name. I think the club will be saving its money to sign our out of contract first teamers, namely Sol and Lauren. I don't think Wenger will splash out for a big name unless he thinks someone is leaving this summer.

11. Andy

Andy New Member

Dec 23, 1998
    NYC
    Lets stick this.

12. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Where?

13. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sky has Arsenal close to signing Eboue here and Lauren asking for a new deal over here

14. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are rumors regarding Kiwi CB and recent MLS champion Captain Ryan Nelson heading to Europe. Any chance Arsenal would be interested?

15. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    lets all kneel and hope they have zero interest.. which, im just about 100% sure they have~

16. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weirdly enough, if you see Cygan with his head on the ball, he is either bent over at the waist or putting it into our goal.....the 1st is usually a good thing, but the second-not so much.

And for the love of all that is holy, could the team please practice set pieces? Both defending and taking them? Is that to much to ask of professionals to be able to defend better against a fundamental part of the game?

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is really something funny. Numerous teams are having problems defending them and taking them has been an issue for United as well of late... in terms of defending them I blame it on the coaches... offensively all the coaches see all of the nice set pieces various clubs attempt, they add one or two here and there and it turns out to be something that a defense might not have seen before. As far as defending them, well I guess teams need to practice defending them more, especially midfielders and attackers coming back because teams put so many players into the box that attackers need to do their part. Also - I can understand Arsenal not defending set pieces well because your attack contains virtually zero aerial threat which means you just have your defenders to defend and that's not enough when a team can throw 5 or 6 guys into the box.

18. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Arsenal does not usually have the attackers back because we counter attack

19. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not being able to defend set-pieces well is a disgrace. Unfortunately, even though Henry is over 6 feet tall, he doesn't want to actually challenge anyone for headers. Maybe he's afraid of getting hurt or marked and not being able to film adverts, the big girl.

20. No1ArsenalFan

No1ArsenalFan New Member

May 6, 2004
    Could we also look at the fact that Pennant is out of contract at the end of the season as well as Edu, Lauren, Sol and Freddie is out next season. Are you guys blind or what we need to keep all these players otherwise Arsenal are gonna become mid table so I'd worry about getting these guys to sign more than bringing in new players.

No1ArsenalFan

21. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England

Pennant will be re-signed if he 'makes it'. If Wenger doesn't think he's good enuff, that's good enuff for me. Edu (or possibly his agent) just wants more money, Lauren wants to stay, and so does Freddie. The only worry is Sol...