January Signings

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by fatdanny99, Nov 21, 2004.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  2. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    10-day tryout for Luis Abel Xavier. I know that he is a 32-year-old fullback who used to play for Liverpool and Bari and was also a Potuguese International. Anybody have a clue if he can contribute to our side?

[​IMG]

3. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
  4. MyTZeus

MyTZeus New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Boring Suburban Hell
    Short, simple answer: NO

Had tryouts at Blackburn and Southampton. Couldn't win a contract at either. Enough said?

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Xavier's a clown. I can't believe Roma's that desperate.

On the other hand, there are many transfers out this month but few signings, so maybe they are. Besides the ones mentioned so far, Luigi Sartor is also gone, loaned to Serie B Genoa.

And now, promising primavera player Raffaele De Martino is "missing" and could be on his way to Arsenal.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jan29d.html

6. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He can help by making the image of Roma ugly with his hair and beard....

7. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    No, we have Mexes and Dellas and Ferrari and possibly Chivu (if you want to count him as center back). All of them are much younger so i guess we are getting desperate. We have sold five players right?

8. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    What ever happened to signing Taddei?

9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Last I heard, Taddei had patched things up with Siena and is now back playing for them.

The news of the day is that young Raffaele De Martino has signed with Swiss club Bellinzona instead of going to England, as had been rumored.

10. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    Taddei will probably come to Roma is Siena are relagated, which is highly likely.

11. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Xavier has apparently been signed. :rolleyes: I'm not sure how this works, but he's been enrolled on the roster even though the transfer has not been finazlied. Sounds sort of like the Mexes thing last summer. Anyway, he can't play until things go through.

12. romagol10

romagol10 Member

Jul 23, 2003
    CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'd say this was a very successful transfer period for Roma :rolleyes:.

13. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I think juve now has the inside track on taddei (who I'm not sure is good enough for them) out of the Igor Tudor loan arrangement...

14. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    Doesn't Juve have enough wingers. Roma has basically Mancini and Cufre.

15. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    The most important thing Roma needed was the addition of creative midfielders. (But this seems to be the story for many of the teams I support--PSG's midfield makes Roma's look like Chelsea's or Barca's). BTW I would love to see Roma clean house this summer and bring in Didier Duschamps (Duschamp?) and others from Monaco who've been dealing with football operations. I know they started slow this year but Duschamps has rebuilt that team after losing a lot of players in the off season. He seems to be the man with the golden touch as far as scouting players. Take care.

16. romagol10

romagol10 Member

Jul 23, 2003
    CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why didn't Roma sell Cufre?! Or atleast give him away on a loan or free transfer.

In all seriousness (actually I was serious about Cufre) I'm very dissappointed in Roma's transfers. Roma sold (Or lost in De Martino's case) several decent players and only added a single defender whose best years are well behind him. This is simply unacceptable and pathetic for a team that hopes to be in the Champions League next season but doesn't have anything resembling depth. With the sales of Delvecchio and Mido (and the lack of replacements) Roma won't have a chance at qualifying if Montella, Totti, or Cassano go down with an injury.

17. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    All excellent points. I share your assessment of our transfer period, but believe that we will finish Top-4 in Serie A.

18. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    BTW, Xavier IS in the squad list for tomorrow's game, so I guess whatever I was reading about him not being available was wrong or else got resolved very quickly.

19. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I thought this guy was washed up.....guess I was wrong.

20. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  21. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  22. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    Mancini made some sort of Roma pledge today so I don't think he is going any where. If Real Madrid losr Figo, Beckham will be on the right with Graveson and Guti in the middle and Zidane on the left.

23. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I love the media rumor mill. I say sell Mancini (as if Real really want him) to Real and take Robhino (sp?) on loan. Look, given all of the midfielders that are available in the world would Real really want a one-year wonder? Not a chance.

24. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    Dude Roma has enough strikers. Strikers are the last thing we need if we have Totti, Cassano, and Montella.

25. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    I read Dellas and Ferrari are leaving. Maybe we can get some good defenders? :)