Pre-match: January/February 2022 WCQ Roster

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Jan 9, 2022.

1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    #101 schrutebuck, Jan 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    Tyler Adams put up 270 minutes in the September qualifiers. He also did it in November - 180 minutes for the US against Mexico and Jamaica, and then 90 minutes for Leipzig immediately after the Jamaica match.

These next 2 months are the one time in a 4-year cycle where club considerations should be disregarded. If Pulisic has to sit out Chelsea's FA Cup match against Plymouth on February 5, then I think that's okay.

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He suffered an injury the same month of the September Qualifiers. The others aren't what I'd referred to.

3. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Play all studs first two games. Then see where things stand: results, results of others, performance, fitness.
    And most importantly, who responds well to playing in the bitter cold.

Three and Three repped this.
  4. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much travel was involved in those 7-day periods?

gomichigan24 and ifsteve repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    No matter what Berhalter does, I reserve the right to crucify him for it. :)

THe reality is that all the other teams have the same rotation issues/questions we have. All the other teams have depth concerns due to injury/suspension/fitness that we have.

The problem is BIGGER for a team like Honduras than it is for us. What will they have in the tank for the third game? I don't know, but I have faith that we'll have more in the tank. More quality in reserve.

So I play an A- team (maybe 1 or 2 outside of the Best XI) against El Salvador with a quick hook for key guys like Adams if we get a comfortable lead. Best available team against Canada on the road. I see no chance that Berhalter chooses to play the backups in what's shaping up to be the toughest game in the ocho. I don't understand those predictions. Is that how coaches and players typically act? Let's plan things so that our weakest lineup is against the best opposition? Never.

Then we reassess the situation after those first two games. Look at the table. I mean, if we've won our first two games and Panama has lost their two (which is certainly possible)...............and we've opened up a 7 point gap in the table...............then we can afford a larger rotation in the 3rd game.

And by the way, our backups are pretty darn good in most positions. For Pete's sake our "B" team won the Gold Cup. Richards, Busio, Scally, etc. are more than capable. I mean, true or false: Kellyn Acosta went 120 minutes in both finals victories at home against Mexico this summer. True. I'm just not worried about it.

don Lamb, TrueCrew, ifsteve and 2 others repped this.
  6. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sorry, it was 1 win, 1 draw, and 1 loss. Anyway, my point is that fresh legs beat tired legs, even when the tired legs belong to superior players.

7. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I am not sure that is true, but I suppose it depends on how superior the superior players are.

8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really disagree with this. I would just add that we have to make sure we get the 3 points against Honduras. A draw against Canada and a draw against Honduras is not as good as a loss against Canada and a win against Honduras.

9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right, it was a qualitative statement about a quantitative problem. It's all about the details. Nevertheless, we've all seen big clubs win a Champions League match mid-week against a quality team and then lose to a mediocre league team on Saturday.

dspence2311 repped this.
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    During the October window, GGG went with a heavily rotated team against Panama.

Orioles Magic, TrueCrew and yurch10 repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #111 Clint Eastwood, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    And then won the next game in the window against Costa Rica.

.Panama used their A team against us. Rotated in their next game, and got their doors blown off.

Every team is going to have to rotate and use reserve players.

[Worth noting that neither Mexico or Costa Rica won at Panama either. Just a fact. that they're unbeaten at home.]

The name of the game here isn't to play our Best XI three games in a row. We're not going to do that. No chance. I think we all know that.

gomichigan24, TrueCrew and Winoman repped this.
  12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #112 IndividualEleven, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Panama were the strongest team of the three. The US rotated against them. I addressed the claim that coaches didn't rotate against the stronger teams.

13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Gio plays midweeek, it'll be 9 days to the 1st game of camp, which was the same amount from Pulisic's return before last window to his game-winning goal v. Mexico.

And Gio came back to training a month and a half ago.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  14. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    If he doesn’t play we know Dortmund doesn’t want him to fly. What’s in it for them at this point? Seriously. If I am Dortmund management there is little upside for me at this point. One of our young valuable assets has been out since he played for the US. Lets make sure he gets on the field so he can fly over there in 3 freezing matches just for the US! I mean, his value isn’t going up playing there, we are out of the CL, we aren’t catching Bayern, let’s just be good guys. I just don’t see it.

I HOPE WE SEE IT, but if I was TD no FN way at this point.

YNWA Rob repped this.
  15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why I don't know how we're using their actions as the lone criteria, beyond them not allowing us to start him. But, barring a setback, which our staff would know about in communicating w/ Gio, he'd still be prepared to be a spark off the bench for us like Pulisic was.

In a limited sample, he's been better for the nat'l team than Pulisic, and it's crunch time in qualifying now. After this window we could be virtually qualified or underdogs to even nab that final auto spot. That means pulling out all the stops. We'll be asking what if we don't.

16. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I suspect MNT management is planning for a window without Reyna. Hopefully he's back for the next one.

17. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not a stronger/weaker team thing, it is a "maximize your points at home" thing. Especially in windows where games #1 & #3 are home and #2 is a roadie.

I expect a similar approach this time unless we drop points in the first game. If we gi gangbusters and have a comfortable (3 goal) lead at half, I could see mass substitutions and a change if plans for Canada.

Now, next window, with 2 roadies, it will work different.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wonder why people spend so much time agonizing over Reyna when we haven't seen him kick a ball in months and we're 2 weeks from the whistle v. ElSalvador.

Because we have a pressing team on our front line, I'd start that way and (sub) front line liberally so everybody is fresh vs. Canada, even after pressing in first game v. ES.

--------------------weah*(zardes*)
    -------pepi(morris)--------sarge(pulisic)
    ---scally--adams(sands)--aaronson(musah)-dest
    -----------richards--zim--miles
    ------------------------gk:?

* I'm not sure about Zardes' form. Does anybody know the latest on Weah's condition? Dike ought to be able to handle ES, too. We might think about subbing Sands in for a CB so there's two cb's getting 45' and able to play v. Canada.

Bottom line: Try to give various players a half in the first game v. ES so they can play another half @ Canada. Does that work or am I all wet? Do I get to sub 5?

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    o_O

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    :cool:

21. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We know at least one player who doesn't need to rotate, Weston McKennie.
    1/15 90 minutes vs Udinese
    1/12 120 minutes at Inter
    1/9 90 minutes at Roma
    1/6 90 minutes vs Napoli

He is an animal. Much respect, and he has changed my mind about what some players can do. Pencil him in for all 3 qualifiers.

laxcoach repped this.
  22. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a vast difference between playing 3 matches in a short window in a domestic league vs CONCACAF qualifying.

1. The amount of travel is night and day different.
    2. Leagues don't typically allow the continual hacking that you see in CONCACAF.

Now that said your point is sound in that McKennie and Adams have shown they can handle the minutes if need be.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I hope they give him the 18th Coppa match off.

24. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are preaching to the choir. I said a player can't generally play 3 games in 6 days in WCQ qualifying without some kind of injury (hi Arriola) or drop off in performance unless they have done some kind of special endurance training. I now believe that McKennie can. He is exceptional.

25. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Don’t fool around. Every game is the last game. Just try to get as many as points as you can.

Bajoro repped this.