January 2023 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by CarlosKaiser, Sep 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. If you are gonna loan I'd wait until the summer. Plus he has shown flashes and has atleast been on the bench for all the EL matches.

daedalus repped this.
  2. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know much about him beyond highlights and article snip its. From what I understand he would compete with El Neny behind Partey which would allow Sambi to move into the LCM spot behind Xhaka. If nothing else, he gives us depth behind an injury prone Partey.

NorthBank and daedalus repped this.
  3. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I don't think Mudryk is likely. According to Romano, Arsenal were interested in the summer but balked at the €40-45m price tag. Has the player really changed that much in 2+ months that they would now be willing to pay €60-65m?

Danilo makes a lot of sense to me, he's someone they've tracked for at least a year and have maybe just been waiting for Palmeiras to be willing to sell. Basically the opposite of Mudryk.

It's really, really hard to sign an impact player in January. It's not like Arsenal have a gaping weakness where an upgrade at one spot makes a huge difference. This is more about adding quality depth, firepower off the bench. Signing players who are in their offseason like Torres from MLS or Danilo from Brazil makes sense to me.

daedalus and maskito repped this.
  4. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m defining a “demotion” in this case as being on the 1st team now, then getting demoted to U21s if we bring in a new (more experienced) winger. May not be the best term, but hopefully it’s still appropriate here.

daedalus repped this.
  5. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    oh, okay. just to be clear, i was not arguing with your usage of the term and just wanted to clearly understand.

i don't think he'd be getting fully demoted to U21s. he is, i believe, currently training with the first team but getting playing time with U21s (case in point, scoring for U21 yesterday). rather than going on loan this year, i really think he'd benefit more from sticking around and, like i said, be insulated by a fairly strong portuguese-speaking contingent while adapting and learning the language. i think he can get some decent games in the league cup and maybe off the bench in FA cup. not sure if he's eligible for papa john's.

maskito repped this.
  6. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    There are always questions about players that move to the premier league. Teams have to evaluate whether or not they believe the player will settle quickly based on their technical and physical skills and in the case of young players their maturity. I’m suggesting that with 104 first team games under his belt Arsenal have plenty of data to project whether they think Danilo will settle quickly or whether they believe he will be a project.

Just because he’s only 21 and coming from a South American League doesn’t mean he is a project. Saliba at 21 has settled immediately. I’m sure they considered Martinelli a project, but we forget how quickly he settled. At 18 in his first season at Arsenal, in all competitions, he had 10 goals and 4 assists. But for his knee injury and the fact that he had Aubameyang in front of him, he might have settled into a regular role in the first team at 19.

Even transfers from other premier league teams require an evaluation process. For example, Tielemans is primarily an 8, Soumare and Ndidi are Leicester’s 6s. Since Arsenal’s midfield issue is backup/competition for Partey, Arsenal had to evaluate whether Tielemans fit that role, I believe Arsenal didn’t pull the trigger on a Tielemans transfer because the answer was no.

Shen-O and daedalus repped this.
  7. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Danilo could adapt really quickly, but the Partey role is such a difficult one that I think it's harder that any other position in Arteta's system. Martinelli adapted quickly because winger is a pretty simple position to adapt to. CB is pretty difficult, which makes what Saliba has done all the more remarkable.

I agree about Tielemans, nice player but not a fit for what Arsenal are doing right now. I think he ends up in La Liga next summer on a free.

daedalus and NorthBank repped this.
  8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One might say Lokonga hasn’t “adapted” super well at Arsenal. Or at least hasn’t developed or learned/adopted his role super well. And he was of comparable age/experience to Danilo I’m guessing? (Didn’t follow either of them at their prior clubs) He captained Anderlecht? Just sayin.

9. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We need players.

daedalus and Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  10. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets ask Saliba if he knows anyone good lol

It worked at Roma before, one of our older Brazilian CBs at the time, prob Juan, told the club about super young diamond Marquinhos

11. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I get the impression, based on scant evidence, that Danilo plays DM more in the mold of Kante, than in the mold of Partey, so there could be a tactical adjustment period. If I’m right that will be another factor in Arteta and Edu’s evaluation process.

12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

that's cute. i'd love to see how that will work since every damn italian club bleats the same damn constant refrain of, "we're broke, we can't pay that" every single time they want to "buy".

13. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    saliba also had multiple seasons in the first team at a level somewhat comparable to the premier league. i mean, i realise that puts the onus on how you feel about the brazillian top flight and the copa in comparison to the premier league. gilberto needed basically no adaptation time while edu, i think, took longer (for multiple reasons) though i think he also had less first team appearances.

i've said so before and i maintain that tielemans is/was a target of opportunity (last year of contract) as a contingent plan for xhaka leaving. since xhaka decided against leaving, his potential transfer ended up being scrapped fairly early.

not dissimilar to how douglas luiz was a target of opportunity (same last year of contract) whose possible pursuit ended when they extended elneny before being rekindled when elneny broke.

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sell tavares for upwards of 30 mill

get Danilo

buy an attacker

I’m confident we have a Xhaka replacement in vieira but Partey is more of a concern and Danilo is Aprently that dude

would t mind a versatile winger with pace and an eye for goal. Simmons might be a better player than gakpo and seems versatile

15. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ohmygod, gabe jesus is terrible! we should *checks notes* find someone to replace him!

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  16. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i don't know. honestly, i've only seen him in highlight packages and, unfortunately, highlights tend to lean offense-heavy by its nature but a lot of his defensive takeaways seem to be those quick toe pokes that partey somehow does to take the ball without fouling people constantly and not very much on physicality. i was trying to figure out who he reminded me of with that and it only clicked on the last game with how partey just seems to do that.

17. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that might be right from the little I've read. I'd have to guess he has more attributes that echo Partey's than Torreira did given our interest in him and Arteta's obvious m'eh feelings on Torreira.

18. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Guess that means all those other players in that list are flops too since they all missed double digit chances as well.

daedalus and CarlosKaiser repped this.
  19. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simmons?

20. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Think he means Xavi Simons, at PSV on loan from PSG. One catch, he may only be eligible to play at clubs named PS-something.

21. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I thought the tweet was intended to be ironic, until I reread the text at the top of the tweet.
    Daedalus clearly saw the irony , intended or not.

daedalus repped this.
  22. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i just assume he will be part of lever no. 8 being pulled to bring him back to PSarçelona.

he's apparently on permanent with PSV now but there is a buyback.

not to bring bigman's famed typing ability into disrepute but announcer referred him 'simmons' for all of game 1 and i kept going, "but . . . . "

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  23. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus' misses don't make me angry though

But Tammy Abraham jesus **** I swear his finishing alone has cost Roma at least 6 pts now

daedalus repped this.
  24. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Yep, you are right, I missed that shift in the negotiations this summer.

I wonder if any club signs him, it will first be a sale back to PSG and then a sale from PSG to a new club to allow PSG to get their cut. I think that happened with Madrid and Morata not too long ago with his buyback clause, or I may be thinking of someone else.

daedalus repped this.
  25. rifkin

rifkin Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If they can get him for a reasonable fee and contract then Zaha would be a great January signing as far as team needs and immediate impact.