January 2023 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by CarlosKaiser, Sep 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    uh, good for them. they can keep wanting.

maybe he'll keep banging in goals and they can get boehly and ten haag to chase him. but i don't think they'll get eduteta or city to bite for that.

3. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    CarlosKaiser and cooper7d7 repped this.
  4. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    thebigman repped this.
  5. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
  6. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

7. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I've made this point before, but if you had watched Partey play when he was Sambi's age, you probably would have said that Partey will never be good enough to play Partey's role. I don't think we can completely rule out Sambi being good enough.

That said...I think you're probably going to be proven right. Seems like Sambi was bought because the scouting dept thought he could be another Partey. But after year 1, I think the plan changed and he was going to be the left 8 behind Xhaka with Elneny backing up Partey. Then Elneny gets hurt, the late run at Luiz, and Sambi ended up the Partey backup for the Europa League by default.

Let's say they sign a DM like Danilo or someone else in January. A new left 8 to eventually replace Xhaka could be the main target in the summer. At that point, the clock is really ticking on Sambi. If he's not the obvious 1st or 2nd choice at DM or left 8, and he's already complained about playing time, does he go on loan? He will have Charlie Patino back from loan and breathing down his neck as well.

daedalus repped this.
  8. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Sambi has the ability to play either of those roles at a high level, but he needs a ton of development in positional and spatial awareness along with tactical knowledge to get there.

DaPrince84 and daedalus repped this.
  9. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i agree with this. i think he has the tools - physical, mental, and technical - to do it but needs reps. i see it being the same way as players coming out of college to professional sports, you need reps and game time to speed up your mental clock and get your game up to speed.

i mean, maybe he will and maybe he won't. but the ingredients are there.

Tonerl repped this.
  10. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Not loaning out Sambi is a bad idea especially now we have seen what is happening to young players we are sending to France.

daedalus repped this.
  11. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on our recent dip of form that seems to be a combination of tired legs and lower quality depth, it is getting pretty obvious what our Jan needs will be...

DM - need a quality backup that is maybe 1 season from taking the starting spot from Partey. The biggest concern here is moving Sambi to the LCM rotation where he seems more comfortable and his defensive lapses don't cost us goals/games. Only player linked so far is Danilo from Palmeiras. Maybe he is that guy. I'm not sure. Think I would feel better with an option that is already in Europe.

W/ST - With ESR out and Nelson sucking, wing depth has been an issue. ESR should be back in Jan but I don't think it would be wise to rely on him as depth this season. If he recovers quickly and can help, great. Shouldn't expect it though. At ST, Eddie has been a bust. We need someone that can legitimately compete with Jesus for time. I think we can accomplish both issue with one player as long as we find the right player. We were linked to 2-3 Ws in the summer. Only prior link that might fit this role is Gakpo but I don't see any way we get him in Jan. Poking around on FBRef, the best comp for Jesus I was able to find based on current season stats was Marcus Thuram who's contract expires in June. Not sure is Monch will let him go in Jan though.

12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't think anyone disagrees that these two areas need to be the priority. I really like Danilo, but I don't think it's realistic for that young of a player coming from South America would be ready to challenge Partey immediately.

daedalus repped this.
  13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We would have no other option.

daedalus and Cop Shoot Cop repped this.
  14. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Loaning him out, without adding another midfielder would also be a bad idea, especially when Arsenal don’t know whether Partey’s legal issues will be resolved.

DaPrince84 and daedalus repped this.
  15. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Its why I am hoping come next transfer window we are picking up another mid and another player who can play across the front 3. And should we win the next few league games heading into the WC, we should be able to just about sell ourselves to potential players as a CL destination club.

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Buy Danilo and rotate lokonga at the Xhaka spot

daedalus repped this.
  17. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Since Xhaka would probably continue to start nearly every game, that’s not much of a rotation.

Shen-O and daedalus repped this.
  18. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    he's also not one of those typically earmarked to come off for substitutions.

Shen-O repped this.
  19. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City

5 goals and 4 assists in his last 10 matches of the regular season. Left footed, played left and right wing but more on the right.

Anyone who watches a lot of MLS have thoughts?

20. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know who this person is but they are claiming we are looking to finalize a deal for Uruguayan winger Facundo Torres in Jan.

Torres currently plays for Orlando City in the MLS. He has 9g 8a in 33 app this season. Who scored says that he played a damned near 50/50 split between the left & right wings. Highlights show a solid dribbler that moves well in tight spaces and a good left foot. Evidentially he scored against us in our Florida preseason trip. Looks fairly strong for a small guy.

21. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
  22. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Since the MLS season is over, could they sign him and take him to Dubai for training during the WC? Or do they have to wait until the window opens on Jan 1? Obviously he can't register and play a real match until Jan.

23. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No clue how that works

24. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea maybe in the past, once they agreed on a fee, some clubs would grant the player permission to join the squad? But over the last few years, that pre-signing medical has become even more important and we aren't getting to a medical without first agreeing to fees and terms with his club. Think of all the heart problems that have arisen lately.

25. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS season is over. As far as Orlando is concerned he could join us next week and could easily have a medical then as well. I believe @CarlosKaiser was asking whether there is an EPL rule that prevented us from signing him before Jan and just not register him until then.