January 2023 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by CarlosKaiser, Sep 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping Nelson gets a shot. He is on the roster, no sense in letting him rot. Looked good enough for Feyenoord that he should be good enough for FA cup and/or EL.

Silva 5 repped this.
  2. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    unless nelson went full pierre mesut maitland-pepe, you'd have to think LW is a fit with smith-rowe out. it would put a full second team 3 of nelson-vieira-marquinhos and allow some rest to the first team 3 (and full front 4 with nketiah in for gabe jesus).

3. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  4. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    daedalus repped this.
  5. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yeah, i'm not sure i hold much faith in the sun.

i'd get it if we go back in. if we can beat the market to him for 15-20, i think that's a solidly good buy because i don't think we get him in open market, at least not without going for a terrible contract.

6. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question RE HG status.... if I recall correctly, the actual HG rule for players born outside England/Wales is 3 yrs on the books at an English (or Welsh) club before they player turns 21. My question... does Academy time (ie before the player turns 18) count as "on the books"?

7. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Based largely on Football Manager, I believe those years would still count toward homegrown status. Are you thinking about Bellingham?

daedalus repped this.
  8. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Bellingham. If I'm not mistaken, he will always be HG by birth.

I was thinking about ESR being out for an extended period and the possibility that he could be our next Jack (I get different circumstances) with all his injuries. We can't do much right now but I could see the need for a right-footed LW/CM/AM that could provide depth/rotation for both Martinelli and Xhaka.

What about Yunus Musah? He spent 7 yrs in the Arsenal academy before leaving and signing his first Sr contract with Valencia. He has been a part of their first team since and has worked his way into the starting rotation for the USMNT. For the USMNT he has primarily played in a Xhaka role both in a double pivot and a single. For Valencia he has primarily played CM or LM/RM in a 4-4-2.

daedalus repped this.
  9. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

This is the guy!

Serengeti_Boy and daedalus repped this.
  10. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I don't think place of birth actually matters, like if a player was born in England but moved away when they were 6 and didn't return, I don't think they would count as homegrown since they were never trained in the country. I think, particularly before Brexit, the rule was written in a way to be non-discriminatory, citizenship doesn't matter. It's just about where they were trained.

Post-Brexit, the rule could easily change. Apparently there has been talk of a change to 3 years of training before turning 18. That would eliminate the Saliba types and depending on the exact rules, could take away the Bellerin and Cesc types who usually can't move until they are 16.

I think Bellingham and Musah would both count as homegrown having spent 3 seasons training in country, even if some of that was before 18.

11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

daedalus repped this.
  12. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    stats probably can't show just HOW dominant he is when he's on the pitch. He's killed many games off by the 57th min, completely done and dusted. Its insane.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  13. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i always wonder about transitioning from serie A but, damn, dude's got great feet.

2-footed and doesn't seem to be one of those selfish asshole wingers so would fit arteta's preference.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  14. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are not getting him lol he's 100+ million when he goes. But his dribbling is so impressive, REAL dribbling, not some Cristiano pushing

daedalus and DaPrince84 repped this.
  15. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You probably right, but that’s the guy we need to be targeting. That quality.

daedalus and Shen-O repped this.
  16. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think we're reaching that point. like, it's been a building process to where our first XI is quality - and that was work in itself - and then getting a strong enough second XI to that would could honestly put a fresh team out for europa and cup games without suffering much and give arteta legitimate options off the bench. and i think we're there now.

like, future buys are going to be tougher because they should really only be to move the bar. (or future buys.)

DaPrince84 repped this.
  17. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Players like that are who we'd need to target to improve the first XI at this point.

daedalus and DaPrince84 repped this.
  18. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly we have inquired about 18yo Corinthians CB Robert Renan

CarlosKaiser and daedalus repped this.
  19. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it'd be nice to see a greater focus on making sure the signings were by 18 so we can get them HG'ed up. like, i wouldn't shy away from a good target by, if we can identify one and get them locked up (even with a loan back) by 18, it'd be great.

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  20. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one may be close. I think he turned 19 today (10/11).

daedalus repped this.
  21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's a good idea, but the farther away a player is from being ready the more risk you take on in terms of development, and the risk is magnified by moving a 17 year old across continents.

daedalus repped this.
  22. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    As long as it's a £3m punt like Marquinos, the risk is worth it.

You'd also hope that Edu's Brazilian connections will allow him to identify the right players that can handle the move, with a Brazilian core at Arsenal that can help a player settle. As opposed to Chelsea's more scattershot approach of signing a bunch of kids, sending them all on loan, and hope they hit. We hear about the ones they sell for profit, we don't hear about all the ones that leave for nothing when their contract expires.

Rumors of £40-45m for this kid, that seems like a lot and maybe wishful thinking from Corinthians. He is one of those very special left-footed CBs.

daedalus repped this.
  23. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i feel you. i was thinking more along the line of what @CarlosKaiser said, low cost gambles like marquinhos and martinelli. you drop 3-6 on those guys, see what happens. they get HG tag - maybe pick up citizenship over time - and, even if they don't work out for us, you can drop them on lower tier/competitiveness level teams for 10-20 to help with fundings. in the meantime, hopefully, they have helped raise the competitiveness in your U21.

gambles like saliba is ballsy but, when it hits like this, it's golden. i mean, if you do 3 salibas (age->HG) and only 1 plays out like this, i'd still call it success. especially if you haven't gotten completely unlucky with injuries and can still at least spin the others off for 10-15.

24. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #49 footykid, Oct 14, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    So if we were to sell Saka, what do we think we get for him?

Also Douglas Luiz extended at Villa.

maskito repped this.
  25. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that he's for sale, but I'd expect we wouldn't entertain any bids for Saka under 100M.

And at this point, I don't think Douglas Luiz is on our radars anymore. With the Kroenkes saying they will make additional player investments in January, it sounds like they/we would want to spend where there is improvement, not just adding depth.