Jamie Trecker -- egomaniac

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by geordienation, Aug 2, 2003.

1. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,9753,1011289,00.html

How this jacknut got a pretty good paper like the Observer to pay for his trip around the US covering ManU is beyond me.

The condescending tone isn't even the worst part of the story, it's the tagline at the bottom:

Jamie Trecker, the United States' foremost soccer writer, contributes regularly to ESPN and the New York Times

What a complete dickhead.

2. dogbyte

dogbyte New Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Jamie Trecker must die. That was atrocious. I especially loathed his condescension of his fellow country men, trying to make himself look fabulous to the brits reading his article.

News to Jamie. They can see what a piece of non talented shite you are as well. You Jamie are a dick.

3. dogbyte

dogbyte New Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Anybody know the right people at the NY Times and ESPN to threaten them with wanton violence, plunder, and arson if they ever use Jamie the Talentless ever again?

4. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    jamie trecker isn't exactly at the forefront of american soccer journalism anymore, any time he pops up i'm kinda like. oh wow. he still has a job?

5. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously

Who is this guy exactly and why is he loathed so passionately?

6. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Guys please work with me here. I love soccer. hate guys like frank deford, lupica, rome . etc ... the people who hate our game. Although treker said some mean things, which part was particularly off the mark? The only really comment which might have been too harsh IMO was calling the MLS a "minor " league.

Seriously, if you have the time, can you refute the parts of the article that you have problems with?

thanks

Vik

7. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    "Guys please work with me here. I love soccer. hate guys like frank deford, lupica, rome . etc ... the people who hate our game. Although treker said some mean things, which part was particularly off the mark?"

I have to agree.

"The great difficulty for the sport is to hold the ethnic audience without losing the lucrative white suburban dollar."

Stop the balkanization! He is right about the TV. He is right about the crowds at the game. Who the heck plays a game in February in Columbus? Even if the Swiss scheduled an international then they would have played in Ticino. I love the questions from the US press. I mean "Who Cares?" That's why I love quotes from the players. I mean, "Really, How did you feel after scoring the goal"? Like we don't know. I really like the Guardian's(Observer) work on many political situations and they don't seem to deify(which I do enough as it is) the players which I like as well. That being said. They have covered Women's soccer more than any other UK paper.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (a) We do. It worked out pretty well. I know. I checked.

(b) If it was one day later, it would have been in March.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    the article isn't opening for me, so I can't do a line by line refutation of this particular story, but...

Here's my problem with him: Trecker repeatedly sets himself up as superior to American soccer. His pieces reek with the stench of burning martyr, as he pretends to be too good for the level of soccer he, as an American journalist, is "forced" to cover. I hate the term "Euro-snob" and the way it is bandied about whenever anyone raises the fact that the major European leagues are better than MLS, so I won't use it. But it's true: those leagues are better. But Trecker constantly brings it up like it makes him a better journalist as a result of his bringing it up, whereas in reality it makes him like the 3 year old that tells the overweight woman at a party "you're fat." It's obvious, it's so lacking insight it's not necessary to repeat it, and above all it's infantile.

So, that's Trecker. He never misses the chance to point out that MLS is inferior to Europe, and therefore, his pieces often have the tone that the league and its fans are inferior to him.

happy 5000th post and official bigsoccer addicthood for me.

10. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

11. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah, but seriously, check out this article ( try to get tothe web site) and tell me what you think. I tended to agree with most of it and I am pretty sensitive to whenever anyone bashes the USA, soccer or particularly US soccer.

12. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I've read worse. The tone more than suggests a patronizing attitude toward the domestic league, and a "we are above it all" stance that attempts to position himself among knowledgable Brits, as opposed to clueless colonials. That does grate.

I am consoled by the fact that not a word he writes will be remembered in two days time.

What I will remember is this:
    ManU 3 - CA 1; MLS 3 - Chivas 1.

Tit for tat, lads.

13. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Rack him. And Dr. Wankler, too.

14. Owen Gohl

Owen Gohl Member

Jun 21, 2000
    The article is awful but readers need to keep in mind that this ran in a left-wing, anti-American paper.

I almost stopped after the second paragraph which reads in part: ". . . the city [Seattle, but the writing is so clumsy you can't be sure it's not Portland] itself is best known for having the United States' highest per capita suicide rate. It rains all the time and alcoholism is endemic in the Pacific Northwest, along with a particularly insidious vein of heroin addiction. There is also an incredible array of strip clubs, some of which the players have allegedly enjoyed."

Now, he could have written that Seattle is the home of Microsoft and King County probably has the highest percentage of millionaires in the country, but Guardian readers don't want to read about American success stories.

As for Trecker being "the United States' foremost soccer writer." there are better writers and better analysts at BigSoccer.com.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed.

16. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Good old Jamie. Completely incapable of doing any research to back up his facts.

But, hey, if it keeps more people from moving here, cool.

17. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I went to college with Mike Lupica and met Mr. Trecker on a train in Korea after the US-Mexico game. I was a soccer activist back in the early 70s and liked Mike, but I don't agree with his crusade against soccer. Lupica was a brilliant writer even then but he has an edge to him. I think it comes from being a New Yorker. I mean that in a good way.
    With all due respect, I don't understand Mr. trecker's hostility towards the MLS, Sam's Army, Peter Wilt, you name it. In terms of a skilled soccer writer who does not engage in negativity you can't do much better than Paul Oliu. I much prefer Mr. Oliu's writing to Mr. Trecker's.

18. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Yes - Tim Howard was so nervous he was crying and Keane comforted him. That sounds plausible.

19. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i wonder if it's worthwhile to ask the senor treckor why jamie has a pole stuck up his ass

20. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This artcile is pretty typical of The Guardian: just another anti-American diatribe, or at least another 'Aren't The Yanks Blissfully ignorant" rant.

I think they actually have a template for this stuff....

21. PeterJBL

PeterJBL New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    London
  22. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the bit about the northwest being a heroine-afflicted hellhole (thats like, sooo 1992) set the tone for this masterpeice of ass.

i particularly liked the part where he accused the chicago fire organisation of being a bunch of racists who beat up polish and latino fans in order to keep them from coming to games. while i am aware that the security at soldier field has a somewhat gustapo mindset, the reputation has not been given due to their hatred of foreignors, but their liberal beating of all creeds and colors. furthermore, if i am not mistaken, the soldier field folks hire them so its not the fire's problem... bringing me to this conclusion:

liable lawsuit. i am sure jamie will be getting a nice little phonecall from a lawyer representing mls in a couple of days.

************ trecker.

23. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Don't sweat it, Peter. The right-wing conspiracy theorists blame everything on the left, even Jamie Trecker.

24. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    It's not Anti-American. Nor anti-American soccer. They have said some nice things before about women's soccer in this country. It was cold enough even if it were one day from March and I was going to say that it was a rhetorical question but it was a question that I knew the answer to in advance. But the question one should ask is "Why, did we play the game in Columbus in February?"

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To gain a competitive advantage?

Which we did?