James Twellman?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Coach_Barry, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taylor's brother, James, was not listed on the list of MLS Combine

Anyone know what he is planning on after graduation?

2. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a quick google search, I find a theme.

James Twellman Earns Academic All-District Accolades :: Cardinal ...
    ... James Twellman Earns Academic All-District Accolades Cardinal defender honored
    for second straight season.
    Nov. 8, 2004. Eugene, Ore ...
    gostanford.collegesports.com/ sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/110804aaa.html - 76k - Nov 30, 2004 - Cached - Similar pages
    [ More results from gostanford.collegesports.com ]

Stanford Soccer
    Stanford Defeats SMU, 2-0 Senior James Twellman named MVP of Mi Cocina Classic. Sept. 5, 2004 Box Score Dallas, TX - Goals from ...
    stanfordsoccer.com/NEWS%20ARTICLES/MbeatSMU04.html - 22k - Cached - Similar pages

Stanford Soccer
    ... Senior James Twellman helped the Cardinal post the clean sheet on Friday, then assisted on Morgan's first collegiate goal against SMU. ...
    stanfordsoccer.com/NEWS%20ARTICLES/M_inCALtourn.html - 27k - Cached - Similar pages
    [ More results from stanfordsoccer.com ]

Stanford University Cardinal | Men's Soccer | The Official ...
    ... Robby Fulton, Todd Leber, and James Twellman garnered First Team recognition on the men's side, while Gina Farias-Eisner and Heidi Herrick were named to the ...
    www.fansonly.com/schools/stan/sports/m-soccer/ - 86k - Cached - Similar pages

SMU Athletics Press Release
    ... from Galen Thompson. Stanford added an insurance goal at 79:46 with a header by Evan Morgan off a corner kick from James Twellman. ...
    www.smumustangs.com/news/news_release.asp?id=3995 - 23k - Cached - Similar pages

No. 9 Stanford Faces No. 11 Creighton In College Cup Semifinals ...
    ... all-conference ... Darren Fernandez, Robby Fulton and James Twellman were named honorable mention All Pac-10. Conference Chatter ...
    gostanford.ocsn.com/sports/ m-soccer/spec-rel/120902aaa.html - 101k - Nov 30, 2004 - Cached - Similar pages

3. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

James tore his ACL and had surgery about 1 month ago. That is why he is not at the combine.

4. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe one of the draft experts can inform us where they expect Twellman to be drafted and if it's possible the Revs would take him in the latter rounds.

5. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing that if they want him they can sign him after the draft to a DV Roster slot just like we did with Kante's brother.

Anyone willing to venture informed speculation as how long it will take for a guy his age and condition to rehab after surgery for an ACL?

6. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    Isn't 8 months a standard guess for young healthy types?

7. emailryoung

emailryoung Member

Feb 6, 2003
    California
    Being on the left coast, I've been able to see James play the last 4 years.

I could certainly see him being drafted, though not in the higher rounds.

He is a tough intelligent player, and seems to be a leader on the Stanford squad. This year, Stanford played him largely as a center back. That is definitely not his best position (he doesn't have the size), but he was still Stanford's best option there. If he does make MLS, I suspect it will be as a left back. He reminds me a bit of another Stanford product, Todd Dunivant. James, like Todd, arrived at college as more of an attacking player, and gradually moved back. Now he is a defender with attacking skills. James, like Todd, has good skills and a strong left foot.

8. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could use one of those.

9. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Revs were interested. James has practised with them in the past.

BTW, he is supposedly a "straight -A" student at Stanford. While he may be able to play pro soccer here in the US, one of the dot.com's nearby or some big investment bank might make him a six figure offer, relegating him to the old-man's weekend rec league.

PS - Recovery from ACL back to competitive soccer is usually 6 months now a days.

10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good timing on his surgery. If he wants to play he could be ready for the 05 reserve team season opener :p

11. harvey

harvey New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    i have heard that his rehab is going really well...if hes anything like his brother (which i heard he is), hell be back soon ready to play

look forward to watching him get back out there

12. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO WAY! We're holding out for someone over 40, over paid and over weight. There are Revolution scouts prowling the pubs in the UK right now looking for that player

13. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exaggeraring a bit?

14. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, probably only in respect to knowing that we have scouts looking for players.

I think it was a pretty accurate description of what the team regards as the ideal though.

15. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the Revs don't have individual scouts. Their scouts is Nicol, Mariner, and Vanole.

16. xyz1000

xyz1000 Member

Jan 8, 2003
    As an aside, the average GPA at Stanford is ~3.8. Just about everyone at Stanford is a "straight A" student.

17. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    And whoever told Nichol that Dempsey might be a decent player. ;)

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Hey, there's always time to be rich, you only have a few years to play pro soccer - it's a no-brainer!

-veteran of "old-man's weekend rec league"

19. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or they just did their homework and not crammed at the Combine like other coaches. Dempsey had a horrible showing at the Combine and I remember alot of people on these boards saying "why did they draft him, he wasn't even that great at the Combine."

20. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    I was just joking around about a Nichol quote where he said flat out that he took Dempsey based on other people(s) reccommendations rather than his own scouting work. Am I remembering this correctly or is that story apocryphal?

21. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Word of the day: :)

a.poc'ry.phal adj. 1. [cap] Of or like the Apocrypha. 2. Not canonical; unauthentic; spurious. -Syn. See FICTITIOUS

A.poc'ry.pha, n. pl. but often erroneously used as sing. with pl. APOCRYPHAS. [LL. apocryphus apochryphal, fr. Gr. apokryphos deriv. fr. Fr. apo + kryptein to hide.] 1. [not cap.] Writings or statements of doubtful authorship or authority. 2. Specif: a In Roman Catholic use, pseudoepigrapha. b Commonly the fourteen books of the Old Testament in the Vulgate that were taken from the Septuagint but are not found in the Hebrew, now excluded from the Authorized Version. See BIBLE. c Christian gospels, epistles, and apocalypses not admitted to the NEW TESTAMENT

22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Whatever, I don't have a problem with that. As long as you have the good judgement to listen to people with good judgement.

At "meet the coach" last winter, from a Nicol statement about drafting Dempsey, you could fill in the blanks to assume that Clarence Goodson was the player the Revs hoped to get - and that Dempsey was a fallback (something like "would've like to pick a defender, but the last one they liked was chosen just before their pick").

And the success or lack of it, isn't purely a matter of picking the right guys. I think coaching has a lot to do with the development of the draftees and the record of development of young players under Nicol has been very impressive, IMO (especially considering Rev history).

23. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I have to ask this, but am I the only person here thinking "What's the big deal about James Twellman?"

The Magpie

24. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    And before lunchtime even. Sweet, I will put this award on my fridge.

I don't think there's any big deal. Just a question about if the Revs might be interested in him based on his connection with a current player and a small training history with the team.

With the new draft in place I would guess that an invite to try out once he's healthy might be more likley than a draft pick.

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States