James Sands at Rangers (olf NYCFC)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by autobus39, Nov 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rangers TV announcers were pretty critical of Sands which I thought was silly... it was like he was the scapegoat of the 0-0 halftime score. I watched the game and he was 100% on his passes (pretty sure) and did not give up the ball once. He won some duels as well. Nothing major... but a controlled performance from a CDM... It is like the announcers do not understand that when you are a single 6 w/ 2 CBs that you need to shuffle the ball effectively and cover for your CBs when they step forward... but the announcers only seem to care about breaking the lines. Kamara on the other hand was far more aggressive w/ the ball (I would argue he was playing as an 8 most of the game) gave the ball away in dangerous positions multiple times.. but the announcers lauded his play. In short... I thought Sands played a pretty solid game. While he wasn't breaking the lines a ton he allowed Rangers to attack w/ 8 players the entire time he was out there.

It will be interesting to see how he is rated moving forward. I DVR'd the Celtic Game so I switched over when Sands went out... so I am not sure if Kamara switched to a deep lying 6 and Arfield moved to the 8.?.?

2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interesting observation.

didnt watch ...but I think it might be a us soccer thing....not breaking lines but keeping team shape is seen as "good"....but for me that isnt usually enough....

this could describe a lot of the players that i dislike with usmnt who generally receive okay ratings imo

more of a style thing i guess but i think being able to break lines is a pre-req..

hopefully van brinckhorst can get sands to the next level there

3. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't necessarily think it is a US thing... and I am being specific WRT the position he was playing. When you only have two center backs and a single 6 then IMO it is more important that said CDM takes care of the ball, helps swing possession to each side and backs up their CBs when they go forward... especially when playing a team that is conceding a lot of possession and trying to hit you on the counter. If said CDM takes chances then yes, it is possible to have a few more dangerous attacks but it also leaves you open to a counter w/ poor numbers covering. In the 1st half of this game Rangers had roughly 75% possession and plenty of chances... isn't 7-9 outfield players enough to put pressure on the opposing team? As a matter of fact the only thing I think Sands should have been a bit better at is stepping up into the midfield to win possession back in a dangerous spot like Adams does so well. If I were to ding him on his play today it would have been to want him to be a bit more of a destroyer like I have seen him play before. At any rate... it is early in his Euro career and he is only 21... he still has a lot of room to grow.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I've only kept half an eye on Rangers this season until the Sands transfer, but Gers were missing a large portion of their usual starting attack, Aribo gone, Hagi (usually a winger in a 4-3-3 tho sometimes a fill in middie) hurt, etc. etc. and Gers fans expect this team to beat everyone but Celtic and Hearts handily, so folks were a bit disgruntled with the attack in general today. I think given it's Livi that many observers/fan feel like Gers should attack more aggressively across the pitch, but I also think they are just a bit out of sync with personnel changes. Be interesting to see what Gio does when Aribo is back. Lundstram is obviously not preferred at the moment, but Gio was not hesitant to play him either.

5. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    BostonRed repped this.
  6. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    DNP for Sands in a crazy 3-3 game - Rangers led 1-0 after 5 minutes, and 3-2 after 95 minutes ... and draw. Lundstram got the call to come on for Arfield instead of Sands. Celtic can close to within two if they can win later today against Dundee United.

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, what a bonkers, epic let down. Sands should be happy not to have been part of that mess. Goal timed at 90+6 on the stat sheet. Lunstram came on at 90. Gio's honeymoon is hitting that awkward part...

Celtic did win and the Derby becomes an even better matchup. (this Wed. at Celtic Park btw.)

8. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Rangers bringing in Aaron Ramsey from Juventus on loan, going to be very hard to break into a midfield of Kamara, Aribo and Ramsey, for Sands or any other of the other Rangers midfielders for that matter.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  9. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Wow- Ramsey going be in MLS next at this rate

10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn’t Aribo going to be sold soon?

11. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it a done deal? Even if Aribo leaves I think Sands is going to have a hard time seeing the pitch. They want offense from their CDM more than defense. Perhaps it will help Sands in the long run by getting him to expand his skillset.?.?

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Be interesting if Sands gets time in Derby tomorrow. Most coaches are reluctant to put a newbie into an away OF too quickly, and the fact he didn't play v. Ross could be good or bad, depending.

The one thing that argues for him is Gers may go into the "must not lose" away Derby with a 2 defensive mid set up, which could included Sands. Wonder what Gio does. Will be a good indicator of his confidence in Sands if he does start.

13. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Any idea what Rangers' quality/depth is like at center back?

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sad to say..... it's solid but not deep. This season's preferred pairing is Calvin Bassey and Conor Goldson. Goldson is a shoe-in every single match. He's pretty irreplaceable aside from injury or suspension. Bassey, can play LB, but he's been used as a left sided CB since Filip Helander has been out most of the season with an injured knee. I think Helander is close to retuning. But Bassey has performed very well as a CB, in place of Helander, and is on the verge of being capped by Nigeria. Leon Balogun, another Nigerian international, has also partnered Goldson a few times. He's average. Not bad but serviceable. That's pretty much it. That's the rundown. God... I hate that I have to keep up with Rangers. I have little choice as a Celtic supporter.

don Lamb and freisland repped this.
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Helander is out for surgery. Goodison is 29 and Bassey 22? are lock starters for the most part. Bassey did sit a few times in the fall for geezer Balogun who has lately been injured, didn't make Nigeria's AFC team and is not someone Gers can count on. Leon King has recently been on the bench but is young and hasn't got much (any?) SPL minutes yet, maybe a cup and a sub or two at the most. Sands has to be a potential fill in there as well.

(or see post above... only thing I'll add is Balogun looks to be on last legs. He's 30-something, was hurt and then left off the bench last couple of games. I think Gio sees Sands as emergency CD material over Balogun at this point.)

don Lamb repped this.
  16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Sands on the bench. Gers midfield of Aribo and Arfield in front of Kamara, it looks like. If Gers were to be up late, or trying to preserve a tie, Sands would be a possibility, but not sure Gio risks him in this situation before he gets a few more games under him. Lundstram on the bench too, who could be a defensive midfield sub option.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Sands stays on the bench as Celtic spanks Gers. Hoops were up 3-0 at the half and coasted the rest of the way, from all reports. Gio's honeymoon is officially over he will be reminded of how quickly Gers fans turned on him when he played soon, I'm sure.

Assuming CCV played well as all reports have Gers never really in it.

18. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the game and yes... Rangers were never really in it. It was over at the half and Celtic took their foot off the gas and cruised to a 3-0 win. Impressive. I am glad Sands did not play a part... just like in the last game. Perhaps the Rangers Staff will realize defense should be part of the game plan. You don't need your single 6 to be making runs into the box.

19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus could not have saved Rangers. And I loved every single minute of the torture Rangers endured. It was an ass kicking of epic proportions. For Sands' sake, I'm glad he didn't get off the bench. I would hate to curse him name as the opposition. It wouldn't be personal. :D

20. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    That isn’t what the fans demand, expect and want from those teams.

Playing practically, like Sands does, won’t win him many fans over there.

21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about contributing to wins?

22. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    It’s not just a matter of winning. They have to dominate and look good doing it. I have pals on both sides of this divide and they can’t stand each other, but they sure think a like.

As has been pointed out here. Dominate and outplay all outside of the other. I worry about Sands here.

His coach really has to believe in him.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, a blind squirrel once every 787 days and all...

But Gio needs to get this team scoring or he will not be welcome long.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Although it has not been unheard of for Gers to to Celtic Park with a defensive 5-3-2 or 4132 and play a bit of absorb and counter. I think gio was understandably hesitant to start Sands in an OF this early in his tenure - esp away. Sounds like Aribo and Arfield was a much too optimistic plan - probably should have partnered Karmara with Lund or Sands and tried to grind it. It will be interesting to see what Gio does going forward. He is going to catch hell if he doesn't get some very strong results, especially with the changes Gers made this window.