Jaime Moreno: "I am a disaster in the kitchen"

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by dale_wilster, Nov 28, 2004.

1. dale_wilster

dale_wilster Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Cochabamba, Bolivia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    http://www.eldeber.com.bo/20041128/sociales_11.html

Light story in the Santa Cruz paper: (translation):

He came to visit his parents and his friends. He is now used to his life in the United States even though he doesn’t deny missing Santa Cruz. The first thing he wants to do upon arriving is eat a salteña. “He also miss the smell of the earth and the heat you feel leaving the plane,” admitted Jaime Moreno, married with Louise, an Englishwoman who gave him four sons: Laura (14), James (9), Fabiana (5) and Lilly (2).

-Do you have a more homely life in the United States, than you had here?
    -Yes, especially in the US, because of the distances, although we always try to be in contact with our friends. It is a totally different type of life.

-What shocks you when you return?
    -The lack of respect by people, not so much the dirtiness or the dust as they say.

-What things do you miss?
    -To be with friends, the sauna, and the cafes.

-How are you raising your children?
    -The same way that I was raised, although I think it is a bit difficult at times because my wife is European, but we try to come to an agreement so that the children are raised with a better outlook to the future and so that they grow up to be good people.

-You are a young father, is that an advantage or disadvantage?
    -My children have been great, the best thing that has happened to me, but one should look at the bright side of things. I didn’t enjoy my youth very much, I married when I was quite young but I thought it was the right decision and I don’t regret it because I have a good woman at my side.

-What has football given you?
    -A lot, a lot of joy, many friends, know other cultures.

-Has it given you a lot of money?
    -Yes, I am in a better economic position than there in Bolivia.

-What have you given up by being a football player?
    -When you are young, you can’t go to parties, you need to be concentrated in your job. Besides being on everyone’s mind, even know when the press is even harder on you. The television cameras are everywhere and you cannot go out anywhere because they accuse you of being drunk or a druggie.

-What do you like to do besides football?
    -Play golf, pool, and mow my lawn, even though it takes me two hours but I have fun.

-Are you a “macho” man or have you changed diapers?
    -Yes, I have changed diapers and I still do, although the concept of machismo has changed drastically. Yes, I am macho but as my wife is a foreigner, I had to change a bit but deep down I still have the same machismo.

-Do you know how to cook?
    -No, I am a disaster in the kitchen. I like to paint my house, fix walls. I also like cars even though I know nothing about being a mechanic.

-Do you like fashion?
    -Yes, although my daughter says I dress like a “teenager”

-Do you spend much on clothes?
    -Yes, on clothes and cars I have spent a lot, and on watches.

-What do you want to do after you hang up your cleats.
    -I would like to be a coach, although it is too early to decide where and when. I haven’t thought much about what I would like to do. I want to play till the end, and end up in a wheelcheer, when my legs can’t go any longer.

2. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    That's my boy!

3. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    a nice insight ... nice to know he shares my clothes and watch fetishes... :D

4. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just want to add that "homely" might not be the best term here, as the original Spanish word refers more to "home-based or homecentered". Like, "Do you hang around the house more in the U.S. than you do here?"

"Domestic" might have been better, as I'm afraid some people will apply the definition of "homely" as plain and uninteresting.

Small disagreement, though. Nice catch, and I have to say, if the photo with the article is any indication, his daughter has a point about dressing like a teenager. Not to say that he doesn't look good, of course!

5. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey jaime, you can mow my lawn for me too if you want

6. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cook. I'll be happy to show him some cooking tricks if he'll be happy to win us another cup.

7. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    He sure gave his sons some weird names!

8. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Jaime should stop by the Barra tailgates next year, the Solares family Saltenas rock!

9. Diablo10

Diablo10 New Member

Jaime would def. enjoy Mamma Solares' saltenas!!! :D They're better than any you can find back in Bolivia.

10. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    To say nothing of the fact that I'd wager he has yet to experience bacon-wrapped hot dogs. :rolleyes:

11. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    So Jaime had his first kid when he was 15/16?

12. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    He could've been 17 - his birthdate is Jan 19, 1974 and if his daughter just turned 14, say, last month.

Young however you slice it - but he's gone on to be a responsible father and pro.

I still remember how people went nuts about Santino when his baby was born - like his life was freaking over.

Exhibit A, people: Jaime Moreno

13. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm totally confused.

I thought he met his wife when he was playing for 'Boro. I didn't realize that he was playing for them at such a young age.

Is it possible that the oldest "son" isn't his? That she's a step-daughter?

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean like Etcheverry?

(What? You can't expect me to pass that up!)