Jaime for Etch?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ignatz, Jul 29, 2002.

1. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    If Q2 works out, and Q1 comes back next year, and Jaime recovers, and Etch retires (admittedly a lot of "ifs") we could wind up with no playmaker and three top forwards.

Would it make any sense to move Jaime to attacking midfield and play the two Qs up front? Jaime played in the middle a couple of times in the past and did far better than Bobby or others (remember Otero?) who were given a shot. We'd also have an ATTACKING attacking midfielder, one who could score and wouldn't be shy about trying, if the forwards were being double teamed. I think Marco would look to pass if he's alone in the six yard box with the goal keeper on the ground behind him.

2. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    I wouldn't find seeing at attacking midfielder who has great pace with the ball at his feet. It's dribbling speed that makes Nowak so good. It's poor dribbling speed (and overall speed) that limits Etcheverry. Why not give Moreno a chance to use his speed in that position?

3. HSV Hooligan

HSV Hooligan New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Shaker Heights, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be a good idea, especially since he has done it before. Hasn't Pineda Chacon been used in a similar role this year? Although I don't see Jaime as being a "playmaker", I'm not so sure DC needs one. All they need is fluid play through midfield, and it doesn't have to go through a particular player every time. I think having 3 attack-minded players up front would be a good thing. If Jaime gets healed and fit, he can still blow by defenders with the ball at his feet in order to create.

4. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    MOreno doesn't have the vision to play Diablos role. I think he sucks when ever he has to play take diablos place. He plays well if he is playing with him, but with out him or with out any good leadership on the midfield, he sucks as a midfielder.

Diablo cant be replaced by Moreno. Baldiviso would be an improvment since the dude has vision, speed and a powerful shot. He is currently playing for the Bolivian National team and distributed a lot of nice balls to help Diablo become one of the best forwards in South America in the early 90's.

5. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget about Gazza in the middle. With Q1 and Q2 up top, Jaime, Gazza, Bobby, and Ben in the midfield we'd have a pretty formidable punch.

TS.