Jacob Thomas to MLS ?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Alex_K, May 27, 2004.

1. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are going to go out, go out in a blaze of glory.

2. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ouch.

3. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    There was a newspaper article about Thomas today. Here is a translation of the first part and a summary of the rest, as far as Thomas is concerned. But keep in mind that this is by no means a professional translation (i mean, i am not Olaf ;) ).

"Fast striker doesn't fit into coach Krüger's concept

Yesterday it became official: after five years Jacob Thomas will leave Regionalliga club Eintracht Braunschweig. After another meeting with GM Wolfgang Loos the club anounced yesterday that they plan without the striker from now on. Thomas did not want to comment this decision. According to rumors he will return to his homecountry.

"We are very strong on the right wing already", Loos said, "Thomas didn't fit into the coach's concept anymore". "

Then the article mentions Thomas' dissapointing performances this season, but closes with that the fans will keep him in good memory by mentioning his goal in the German cup victory against arch rivals Hannover 96.

Complete article: http://www.newsclick.de/index.jsp/menuid/2166/artid/2877365

4. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    He would certainly be one of the shiniest players in MLS.

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if there's MLS interest? I think he could probably be a decent role player for a club.

6. soccert

soccert New Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Just to set the record straight, Jacob made the decision not to resign with the club. They have ask him on several occasions and he made it clear he would like to pursue other options. He also made it clear he wanted to leave on good terms, he has always given 100% even when the club did not. I find it funny how now the club put a spin on his departure and how it was their decision not to keep him because he did not fit into the trainers scheme of things. Typical arrogance, which has been seen over and over again but not surprising.

7. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I assume you are somehow related to Jacob (if that's the case, thanks and good luck to him, btw) ? But in defence of the club i have to say that they never denied that they wanted to renew the contract, but it's also a fact that Thomas did not play a very important role anymore after the coach was changed. But I wasn't there, so i can't say who's right.

Well, Thomas' final stats:
    03/04 season:
    games: 28
    substitutions:
    In: 7
    Out: 10
    Minutes played: 1962
    Goals: 3
    Assists: 4
    YC: 1
    RC: 1

1999-2004:
    Games:
    2. Bundesliga: 23
    Regionalliga: 96
    Goals:
    2. Bundesliga: 3
    Regionalliga: 9
    German Cup: 1

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Did the picture catch him mid-motion or is he really this pigeon toed?

9. soccert

soccert New Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Alex

Thanks for the thought, you are the many reasons Jacob loved to play soccer in Braunschweig. There have been many problems with the club since he started playing there, if it wasn't a money problem it was coaching problems and a lot of political issues. But the most important thing was Jacob being able to play in a great stadium, great fans, long soccer tradition and that is what he loved. Braunschweig is his home, it was his family but he needed to move on for his future. In regards to his coach, it does not surprise me about his diminishing role on the team, when your coach doesn't speak to you from day one it sends a clear message. But whatever his coaches dislikes were towards Jacob it would of shown some class to play him in his farewell game. I thank all of the fans that have supported Jacob throughout the years and I know he loved playing for them.

10. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Thanks. :)

I already mentioned this, but i absolutely agree on this one. He should have played, period.

11. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Jacob Thomas stays in Germany. He signed with VfB Lübeck (like Eintracht Braunschweig Regionalliga Nord), who were relegated from the 2nd division this season. I am a bit disappointed that i will have to root against him from now on, but wish him all the best. Just don't score against us, Jacob ;).

http://www.vfb-luebeck.de/index.php?seid=8806

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck Jacob.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hobo and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  15. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a beautiful blast from the past! Thanks, fellows!

Winoman repped this.