J. Walker

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by edwinchile, Sep 28, 2003.

1. edwinchile

edwinchile New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    santiago-chile
    How's Johnnie doing in goals? Happy with him? (a friend from his days in Chile)

2. KeeperKid18

KeeperKid18 New Member

May 3, 2003
    NJ
    Walker is playing very well in goal for us. Before Thursday night, he had a .96 goals against average, which was second in the league. He allowed two that night though, so I don't know what it is now. Walker has impressed me with his excellent positioning and good hands. He catches almost every ball shot at him. I don't think any of the goals scored on him so far you can fault him for. He is a very solid keeper, and an excellent replacement for Tim Howard.

3. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 MLS keeper right now as great ability to make all saves look simple and always in position. Great player that a lot of us never knew. Should be considered for National team.

Was he always this cool under pressure as he has shown so far with us???

4. edwinchile

edwinchile New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    santiago-chile
    From what I have seen of Johnnie in 5 years in Chile, he is indeed very cool under pressure. Made some mistakes in the beginning, but was highly regarded when he left. Think he broke a record here. 719 minutes no goals against him, that's saying something. And besides all that he's one great guy on and off the pitch

5. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    surest hands in MLS as far as i'm concerned...i see what you mean "in the beginning," but i think in his case here, its just a matter of developing good chemistry with the Defense and that will come in time...the few times i've read journalists insert his quotes in articles, he seems to be well-spoken...we're all thrilled to have him

6. KeeperKid18

KeeperKid18 New Member

May 3, 2003
    NJ
    I agree totally. I never knew about Walker before he came to us, but the first game I saw him, I became so excited, and he is now one of my favorite players. He should definately get capped for the National Team. I mean, if Rimando has been capped and Johnny hasn't something's wrong.

7. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    this is becoming pretty funny, and a huge luxury for The Bruce...i especially derive pleasure from what adin brown's gotta be thinkin, he's gonna be just good enough to be considered for camps every now and then...this injury could put rimando in the same category...keller and friedel are still on their games, and without getting into a johnny vs timmy debate, you know everyone is going to give timmy every last chance to be our GK for years to come (me personally, i'll always have a soft spot for timmy and c'mon, take timmy from man.u and hope johnny doenst leave us for nats game :)

8. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides everything that's already been mentioned, he has that South American knack for being able to control the tempo by "slowing down" the game whenever necessary...Very smart keeper

9. edwinchile

edwinchile New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    santiago-chile
    Guys,
    It's great to see some support for Jonathan. He needs it! He deserves it! I'll let you know that even one of our national heroes (Wim Rijsbergen, of the old 74' and 78' squad, with JC Cruyff, nearly beating Deutschland and Argentina in the World Cup Final) tried to get him to Holland. That's saying something again, right? So keep supporting my old buddy and he'll show the US-team what he's made off, ok?
    Besides, his wife makes a killer potatoe-salad, the best ever! 25% of Chile is eating it as we speak.
    Ciao, Edwin.

10. edwinchile

edwinchile New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    santiago-chile
    "slowing down" is as fast as they get here in Latin America. It's the way people live here. Same goes for soccer.

11. mcbabz

mcbabz Member

Jul 8, 1999
    w. orange, nj
    have to say he's been better than anything i could have imagined.....he is probably the best keeper in MLS right now....he deserves a look in the US national team if he can keep this type of form...which i believe he will.....on a personal note, i met Walker, his wife & young son a few weeks ago...all VERY VERY nice people!!!! very happy to have them here with the metro!

12. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    I agree... he is extremely well spoken. I could see Johnny covering for John Harkes on MLS Wrap next time he goes on vacation.

13. edwinchile

edwinchile New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    santiago-chile
    Jonathan well spoken? Next time you see him, ask him how well spoken he is after a few bottles of "Los Boldos", his favourite white wine in Chile! Hahahahaha!
    Just kidding of course! He only drinks when he's got at least 3 weeks off. Well, have fun with him. Hope you do well in de Cup. Shame we can't get MLS on tv in Chile. Also tell him Colo Colo is struggling (money) and Católica is rapidly going down too (both his old clubs). Marcelo Rios (tennis) is arrested in a bar and Ivan Zamorano (his ex-collegue at Colo Colo) is finally getting married but also suspended for 12 weeks for (rightly so) kicking a referee. Yup, it's all fun down here!