J-league fans and atmosphere And MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by pc4th, Dec 1, 2004.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Why shoot on goal when most US GKs have trouble covering crosses?

2. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    But isn't that the point? That we overate our keepers when they only have to face MLS level attackers? Yet when they go up against more seasoned players the weaknesses get found out quickly?

Friedel and Keller only got better as a result of facing these players.

3. jlm120170

jlm120170 New Member

Dec 14, 2003
    maryland
    Do You notice the female support you see alot in the stands i love there atmosphere.

4. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I've read that a J-league match is the place for single men to get their "game" on. If you notice the highlights of J-league matches, you'll be able to hear the ladies go into spasms of delight when a goal is scored or something dramatic happens. So what, does MLS have to market to women 18-3? here?? Not really. True.single women and some married women will look at celebrities and athletes as eye-candy, but the women of J-league often treat players as rock stars there.From my dating days, women might have been attracted to some MLS players (i.e.they'd look at the games just to see which guy was hot instead of following the game), but that really didn't make them steady fans of that player, the team, the league, or the game of soccer itself.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, I think the US GKs are pretty good, they're big, athletic and good shot stoppers. Their problem is that they don't know all the tricks of the game because they've not seen it in MLS.

In the Southampton-ManU game last year, from about 30 yards away Kevin Phillips set up a little screen by taking a small step to his right, thereby putting a ManU defender between himself and Tim Howard. He then hit an accurate, though by no means very powerful, shot into Howard's bottom right corner. It should have been a clean save for Tim, except he was moving to his left at the time also, following his defender's steps like an NFL safety would follow a QB roll-out. Once he saw the ball, it was too late and it ended up in Tim's net.

Now, an experienced GK would just peek around the screen and not get confused by Phillips' move. Tim however got snookered. To use another NFL example, he was a safety who got "looked away" by a QB before the ball went into the space he just vacated.

That's just one example that I saw with him.

I am sure there are plenty more to add.

6. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Do you have any method of watching MLS Games in Japan? I ask because i have been considering going there to teach english

7. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    From that video it appears that Urawa Reds were being crowned Stage Champions at that match- how much of an effect did that have on the crowd and atmosphere? Was that a typical size Urawa Reds crowd? It looked very impressive.
    -----------
    EDIT: Okay, I looked it up on the J-League website, and I'm assuming this game was the match against Nagoya Grampus Eight on November 20, since that was the match they clinched the 2nd stage title and also it was played at the Komaba stadium (which was the stadium in the video- their last game of the season was at the much larger Saitama World Cup stadium).

If it was that game, the attendance figure was 21,192 (stadium capacity is 21,500). That's slightly larger than Urawa's average attendance at Komaba stadium. Their last game of the season, at Saitama stadium drew 52,330. If the crowd was as passionate that would have been a site to see.

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  9. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Historically, Urawa Reds have had the most passionate supporters, and we're not just talking supporter groups. Even when the Reds were relegated a few years back, they still outdrew some J1 sides. When it comes to attendance figures, they always rank in the top 5 no matter how good or bad the team is. I too am interested in the psyche of the J-League supporter in particular the Urawa supporters because it truly is astounding at the ravid support the supporters show at matches. Part of it could be the loyaty factor in Japanese culture (i.e. to the company, the team, the town, etc. Understanding a culture and society could aid in understanding why and what people do and say at matches, true or false?). On a side note, the colors of YOUR DC and Urawa are the same, and both sets of supporters are lively.

10. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Historically, Urawa Reds have had the most passionate supporters, and we're not just talking supporter groups. Even when the Reds were relegated a few years back, they still outdrew some J1 sides. When it comes to attendance figures, they always rank in the top 5 no matter how good or bad the team is. I too am interested in the psyche of the J-League supporter in particular the Urawa supporters because it truly is astounding at the ravid support the supporters show at matches. Part of it could be the loyaty factor in Japanese culture (i.e. to the company, the team, the town, etc. Understanding a culture and society could aid in understanding why and what people do and say at matches, true or false?). On a side note, the colors of YOUR DC and Urawa are the same, and both sets of supporters are lively.

11. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

There are no conventional means to watch MLS over here, and you can't watch any MLS games on Yahoo from here in Japan, unfortunately.

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  13. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Didn't the "you know what" work?

14. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    They are shown on ESPN-i...which is available on satellite through SkyPerfecTV.

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As The Truth Commission stated above, your best bet is to tune in to ESPN International. And don't be afraid to drop them a line to let them know that you're interested in viewing more MLS from your region (that's an annual rite of passage for me here in Australia).

Otherwise, see if you have any mates back home who will be willing to trade VHS tapes or DVD-R's of matches. I've had that work for me this past season as well.

16. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

As I said, no conventional means are available. ;) And when I get a raise (hopefully) the next thing I can afford will be SkyPerfect, which I was in error for not mentioning.

17. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Glad to hear that :)

18. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    try unconventional means like BitTorrent.

19. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Thanks, never thought of that, having been born in a carrot patch and having lived all my life sleeping in the back of a pickup truck.

21. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  22. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Just fyi, according to the rec.sport.soccer statistics foundation, the J-League averaged 2.93 goals a game in this season's first stage, or about the same as MLS used to two or three years ago.

23. SC in SF

SC in SF Member

Nov 18, 2004
    SF
    As fans of the MLS, we got to do more for the team during each game. I think it would be cool if there was like a challenge where the supporters of a team would sing and try to boost the players confidence and the supporters of the other team would sing back and try to boost their team. The teams would probably be excited to hear us sing and might play harder and the product on the field would greatly improve. It would be a greater all around experince for both the fans and the players.

24. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I'll add one:

In the final between DC and KC, I was watching Eski's eyes as he approached Oshoniyi leading up to his 2nd goal. He had a one-on-one with Bo, but the angle was closing very quickly. Eski looked directly to the right corner of the net and angled his shoulders slightly in that direction. Oshoniyi bit on this move. Eski then did the difficult move of shooting to his left with his hips and shoulders facing towards the right post.

So, I see what you're saying...there are plenty more to add.

Cheers,
    Tim

25. Braveheart_NY

Braveheart_NY New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    New York
    Wow can't even deny it, I saw some J-league highlights yesterday on FSW and i was really impress, it was unbelieveable, the supporters were behind their team. lot's of flags and scarf. Most of the games the stadium is divided in two by the supporters. To sum it up the atmosphere was off the hook. i don't care what no one say atmosphere play a major part at any sporting event. As the brazilian coach Rene Simones (sp) say when he was the technical director for the Jamaica National team "No team like to play in an empty stadium". If i was a player it would give me that extra drive I need to see a pack (or closely pack) stadium. Thanks for the links NYR Metros and others. They have some beautiful facility also. I just have to give props where props is due the J-league look awesome.
    As for MLS we getting there slowly, progress being made every year. with new teams, new facilities and new supporters we will get up there with many other league around the world just be patient.
    It just bother me why soccer is taking so long to get going in the US, does the media really hate soccer that much?

Let's Go MLS