J-league fans and atmosphere And MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by pc4th, Dec 1, 2004.

1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is what MLS should strive for: WOW

It's European/South American like but at a league that is only a few years older than MLS. No wonder J-league is averaging around 18-19,000 this year when a few years ago it was averaging 13-14,000.

http://www.jsgoal.jp/club/asx/00013806.asx

Maybe MLS fans can try that 'newspapers' things (throwing them on the air...) and a lot of flags.

Is this just me or does the J-league has a lot of hardcore and young fans?

Soccer is considered an 'youth/teenager' cool sport over there while baseball is for the older generation so that might have something to do with it.

2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

If I were still in America it would sound stupid, but I've seen it up close and now it looks stupid.

Fans of all ages attend J-League. For like the ninetieth time, MLS has to compete with a gazillion other sports. Japan has baseball and...well, baseball, really. I've heard rumors of a volleyball league and perhaps some rugby, and strong evidence to support the existence of a basketball league, but otherwise baseball is the only other game in time.

:rolleyes:

3. SC in SF

SC in SF Member

Nov 18, 2004
    SF
    I want some of those fans here, instead of chanting "WE LOVE RED," they can chant, " BEAT LA."

4. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was great.

5. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    From what I've seen of the J-League, which I admit isn't very much, it looks like an exciting league. Lots of pretty goals and passionate fans.

It looks to me like many of the former are because of 1996-MLS-type defending, but I personally don't care. If MLS were as exciting as the J-League games I've seen, I'd be pretty happy.

6. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

First, absent the more-than-occasional but less-than-regular stroke of brilliance, a lot of those "pretty goals" come off of very, very large defensive mistakes that my younger cousin can take advantage of. Not saying it's not fun to watch, but between this and a La Liga game playing at the same time, I'll change the channel.

Also, I am detecting misplaced envy among MLS fans toward those of just about every other league in the world. That is a natural fan following, not something that is copied as pc4th implies we should do. It's not like MLS is lacking passionate fans (or pretty goals for that matter - you guys make it sound like MLS is a kick-around or something), but if that's not enough atmosphere for you then I suggest you go to a game and make it happen. Don't watch these clips like it's some exercise video whose moves you're supposed to imitate. Don't even ponder about how to create the atmosphere, just do what feels right. Well, I mean, after the self-conscious hesitance goes away.

7. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried the banner thing at CCS a few years ago and they actually made the North End look lively even when the North End wasn't packed with standing supporters. I spent MASSV hours and bill money painting and designing (still designing!!) banners for the Crew and a few for the National team. Not to toot my own horn but it taks some dedication to paint in the hot sun long @$$ banners, but I did it for the love of the sport, the team and the genre of supporterdom.I've tried all that I could , doing my part to maybe spark interest from others to make banners (maybe better banners than mine), but what happens??? No Se, but there aren't as many banners as there were. V-Army are doing the best they can, but I don't know. One day, when my military career gets settled I'll make better banners, but until then...............

8. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hey, at least the games are more fan to much than MLS... I wish MLS played like that.

9. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Saying J-League is just a few years older than MLS is like saying championsleague is just a few years older than MLS.

10. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is wrong with that?

J-league began in 1993 (or was it 92?)
    MLS began in 1996

Granted, there was a soccer league before J-league in Japan, but there was a soccer league in the US before 1996.

But whatever, for intended purpose, before 2001 J-league was on the down turn, attendance was down...etc... They just picked up in the last few years.
    2002 WC definately helped. Promotion/Relegation probably did too.

11. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Lets copy them and do that.

12. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Yeah, that was awesome, but if that ever happens in the states, it won't happen till most of us are dead and gone.

Current stadium sitautions and security really make any sort of large scale Tifo like that pretty difficult. I think the best we can hope for as far as fan culture goes in the next few decades is simple, but loud, English style singing with a fair amount of banners covering our stadia. DC fans in this year's playoffs are a good example of this and what hopefully will become the norm for future matches.

13. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    The difference is that they had a league with high level corporate support since the 60's they have a lot more uninterrupted history than MLS does.

J-League is simply a reorganisation of something that was around for decades. MLS was brand new and any comparisons are unfair.

14. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Even that is so not true.

15. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    When you watch most regular season games you will find they are lacking the excitment necessary to drive an atmosphere like that. Excitment is sustanance for a crowd, without it, even the largest of crowds become lethargic and eventually die. ​
    Provide more, and we would see DC playoff crowds more often. They showed us the passion is there. But if the status-quo continues, we can look forward to the morgue like atmosphere that prevails throughout MLS today.​

16. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    MLS games = ties... and too slow and too much build up. I rarely see people shooting from outside of the box.

Have you ever seen "Gambare" at FSW? You should chekc it out.

17. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just what I would expect for a soccer culture in which average keeper skills at every age level are better than in any other country.

18. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Unfortunately, I don't get FSW over here.

19. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

HA!

20. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    This statement boggles my mind. I wonder what kind of information would I (or any unbiased person) need to draw such a conclusion. How can I go about figuring out the average keeper skill at age 8 in this country? How can I go about comparing this skill to that of the average 8 year old keeper in Nepal? Please advise.

21. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Sorry... I forgot that you actually live in Japan. I suggest you watch the Santory Championship betwen Reds and Marinos tomorrow. I bet Reds are going to win.

See here's the thing. I have watched 12 years of JLeague since it started 1993. I have been watching MLS from 2001. I just don't get the excitement that I get with J.League games. Of couse I am not talking about crap games between 16th-place club and 1st-placed club. I am talking about match-up between top ten clubs.

22. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Watched J-League at every opportunity I get, and if I were to discount the excitement of merely being at a soccer match (which in itself should be enough) and the near-blind loyalty of the typical supporters clubs you see around the world, then I don't understand the intensity of a J-League game, because the level of play on the field, while pretty good, certainly does leave something to be desired for something that draws decent-sized to capacity crowds. The atmosphere of an MLS game doesn't look palatable on television, but I watch MLS for the soccer and my only wish is that more people went out to these games to confirm the quality of play of these games with their intensity.

As for the championship, I hope the Marinos win (a little bet going with my students, some of whom are Urawa fans) but the Reds will take the return leg and win it all.

23. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I plan to be well alive in DC :)

24. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :mad: Bakageta koto!!!! LOL

25. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    You really believe that the Premiership strikers would fear shooting from outside the box against MLS keepers? Come on man..