iTunes 8.0

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Toon³, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    New version of iTunes released today and continues the current fashion of adding bars to new versions with the genius bar which allegadly makes playlists of music that sounds good together and recommends similar music on the itunes store. This only seems to work if you have the genre section in song information filled in so if you don't it's pointless.

It seems to be a stable version which is a positive over 7.0 on it's initial release but it's a memory hungry little bugger.

2. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Is their anyway to avoid having to re enter your credit card information each time you install a new version?

Its kind of annoying.. If they didnt have updates like every 3 days,. it wouldnt matter as much

3. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I like it so far.

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Genius is useless.

It's MY music - shouldn't I know what artist in MY collection are similar?

And thanks, I'm more than capable of creating a playlist on my own.

5. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    Sounds like what Beatunes did a few years ago...

6. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I like it though it seems like once the album art loads in the view where you see the cover art it should stay without having to reload every time.

7. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    genius sounds like spyware to me

i dont trust it

8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in theory this genius thing sounds like a good idea, especially when your music library is so large that you forget what you have in there sometimes. i don't think i'll be using it on a regular basis, however ... maybe just when the mood strikes me. i mean, if i want to find music that's similar to my faves, i'll just tune into Pandora Radio ... but that's not what we're discussing here. :eek:

9. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought genius was silly, but then I actually tried it today and the playlist was really good. Like someone said, I have a large library and it brought up some cool tracks I hadn't heard in some time that fit nicely.

10. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I never have to re-enter my credit card info.

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also never have to re-enter the credit card info ...

and I like genius because its recommended some good bands. always on the look for something new ....

12. Hungry Dave

Hungry Dave Member

Apr 8, 2008
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not really a fan of the new iTunes. I was a bit confused at first when I thought some of my artists were missing until I saw that they regrouped a lot of my artists into compilations. Also, I make a lot of my playlists through the party shuffle by simply highlighting interesting songs and dragging them towards the bottom to get rid of the songs I don't want and to refresh the page. Now iTunes deselects the songs I have after I drag them down.

Also, I tried making a couple playlists in genius and I wasn't a fan so that's turned off now. Maybe it's because my library is too big.