ITT: We try to guess the 2012 MLS Regular Season format

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by MRschizoid21, Oct 6, 2011.

1. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this thread, we will try to guess what the Regular Season format will look like for the 2012 season.

We will try to guess what it will look like based on information we have so far, and not simply out wishes, ok?

We have a 19 team league, and 19 is a prime number, so there will be no even division of teams. I am assuming that the season will be again 34 games, for television purposes.

There has been talking of emphasizing rivalries (which also cuts down on flight costs), so I'm sure that conferences will be more rigid.

Anyway, here's my guess as to how the RS will be arranged:

East
    Group 1: Columbus, Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, Kansas City

Group 2: New England, DC, Philadelphia, NYRB

West
    Group 3: RSL, Colorado, Seattle, Portland, Vancouver

Group 4: LA, San Jose, Chivas, Dallas, Houston

Rough breakdown will assume a 20th team:
    Teams in the same group play 3 times each - 12 games
    Face teams from other group, same conference 2 times - 10 games

Face 2 teams from the other conference (1 in each group) twice - 4 games
    Face the other 8 teams once - 8 games
    34 game season

How it would work with 19 is that each group still plays the base 12 games
    (the group with only 4 teams would have the teams play 4 times instead of 3 for the 12 games).
    Some teams will have gaps due to a team being "missing" and they play each other to fill in the missing gaps, where appropriate (I had a chart written somewhere, but I can't be bothered to find it now).

And for the playoffs, they'll probably have something as simple as the top 2 in each group qualify along with the 2 best 3rd place teams regardless of conference.

2. mls2010

mls2010 Member

Aug 6, 2005
    I think what you suggest is probably pretty accurate. I think even your groupings are accurate with an NY2 joining East- Group 2 eventually.

I think the wiggle room will be in the games against the other conference. So those other 12 games. I also think those are some of the big tv games. Do we have enough of those good east/west tv matchups? With a team like KC, kind of closer to some west teams...How do we keep those going?

Then, I think, similar to college football, what about next year? Do those same teams play against each other because it is better for tv? Or do they rotate? Does a team get mad because they don't get to go to a market. Or do they just try and buck up all in the name of building tv ratings.

But I think your schedule is very similar to what will come out.

3. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    thats good except i would do playoffs different

division winners plus top team in conf after that = top 3 x 2 conf

4 wild cards.

4. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they're gonna change the playoff format again just for one new team coming in. It will remain top 3 in each conference plus 4 wildcards. The groups you created might happen, but I don't think they will be officially recognized as groups or divisions within each conference. I think the standings will remain "Eastern" and "Western." The groups you described will only be for scheduling purposes.

5. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put your guesses then, please.

6. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, my guess is we will in fact see divisions and teams playing an odd number of games against some teams, both of which I absolutely despise. However, since the only other solution when you're working with a prime number of franchises (19) is a balanced schedule of 36 games that they don't want to go to (and travel issues in that format are undeniable, even if they start using charter flights across the league), it's a necessity. I tried to come up with a format that just had two conferences with no divisions, but couldn't.

Western Conference (10)
    Northwest (5)
    Vancouver
    Seattle
    Portland
    Salt Lake
    Colorado

Southwest (5)
    San Jose
    Los Angeles1
    Los Angeles2
    Dallas
    Houston

Eastern Conference (9)

Central (5)
    Kansas City
    Chicago
    Columbus
    Toronto
    Montreal

Atlantic (4)
    New England
    New Jersey
    Philadelphia
    D.C.

Reports are they want to stick with 34 games. My guess is a plurality of games against your division opponent, 2 games against non-division conference opponents, the rest filled up by non-conference opponents.

Western Conference teams
    4*4 division opponents = 16 games (18 games left)
    2*5 conference opponents = 10 games (8 games left)
    Play all Eastern Conference teams once except one Atlantic team (8; 4 home, 4 away)

Central Division teams
    4*4 division opponents = 16 games (18 games left)
    2*4 conference opponents = 8 games (10 games left)
    Play all Western Conference teams once (10; 5 home, 5 away)

Atlantic Division teams
    (4*2 division opponents) + (6 games against designated division opponent) = 16 games (18 games left) -- You can determine that 'designated' opponent by previous season's record; best record plays worst, 2nd best plays 2nd worst
    2*5 conference opponents = 10 games (8 games left)
    Play all Western Conference teams once (10; 5 home, 5 away)

That 20th team being in New York or the Southeast will even things out when they add it.

I really can't wait until we have enough franchises to split the two conferences into leagues of their own with balanced schedules, and east/west matchups reserved for the playoffs and Open Cup. Obviously that's a long way away, but at least with 20-24 teams we'll be able to make a balanced conference schedule with non-conference opponents played an even number of times determined by record so that there's fairness and reason to the schedule. With 19 that's just impossible. I can't stand this geographic imbalance, but hey, compromises must be made when you're trying to grow a league. I'll still tune in to as many games as I can. :)

As for the playoff format, who knows. Top 3 from the divisions of 5 with the division winner getting byes, Top 2 from the division of 4? How would you hand out the CL berths?

What a mess.

7. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why so many divisions? Theres a much easier way with two conferences.

I remember posting this idea in another thread, so if it seems like I'm repeating myself, its probably because I am.

The east would have 9 members, while the west would have 10. (presumbly with houston moving back to the west)

Each team in the east would face one another 3 times, leading to 24 games being played in conference. Meanwhile 1 game would be played against each of the western teams, thus theres your 34 games

The west is slightly less neat in its alignment. About 25 games would be played against other teams in conference, while the other 9 would be against eastern conference sides. However this means that a western con ference team, lets say LA, would only face 7 of the other teams in their conference 3 times and would only play two teams twice. But that all equals 34 so its not such a big loss.

Though I'd hope that with the sudden boost in inconfence play that the wild card match only has the 4th and 5th place teams from each conference play one another, and the whole "regardless of conference pool" thing comes to an end.

8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, and a facet of the league's business model would have to change to make them consider it; ie, as long as the league believes that some clubs are significantly better road draws than others, they're probably not going to do away with teams' ability to host high road draws. In the schedule models above, teams won't host one of either LA or NY every year, and you can bet there's someone at league HQ crying about it (even though I think it'll happen anyway). It's a lot worse if you can't host them ever.

9. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Play each team twice except two. Play one of the remaining teams once home and the other once away.

Doesn't devalue my season ticket by making me pay (in advance) for seeing some opponent twice and others not at all. Only one team loses their "Beckham bump" and one other team their "Henry bump". Teams "missing" from schedules could be determined randomly (for fairness) or by fiat for marketing... I think we know which may they'd go!

It's not perfect and would work better with a single table because some teams will not be able to play every conference opponent home and away but I'm not the one who decided to go with 19 teams!

10. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is actually very interesting. How would we determine who matches up against who in the single games?

11. mls2010

mls2010 Member

Aug 6, 2005
    But the balanced minus two schedule. The schedule is going more conference or tv based. I dont see that being accomplished with that schedule.

12. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why:

I hate, hate, hate the idea of arbitrarily giving one team an extra home game over the other. I want as much balance to the schedule as possible, but I'm not naive; I know that the size of the country will forbid a true balanced schedule and single table. With that said, if we're going to have conferences, lets at least handle them with some rhyme and reason.

13. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    As I said, it could be done randomly - still emphasizing conferences though - or simply by fiat to protect sought after inter-conference fixtures (for marketing purposes) like NY v LA or Tor v Van.

It's pretty simple though. To illustrate: just set up a 19 by 19 matrix. In a spreadsheet use cells B2 to B20 vertically and B2 to T2 horizontally. Now we need to populate cells A2 to A20 and B1 to T1 with teams. To give the minimum number of teams who do not play conference opponents both home and away you can do this by conference: so from cells A2 to A10 fill randomly select all the Eastern Conference teams (plus Montreal) and from cells A11 to A20 randomly select all the Western Conference teams (plus Houston). Then fill those teams in in the same order from cells B1 to T1.

In my random draw the order I got was: Phil, Tor, DC, NY, Chi, Mont, NE, KC, Clb, LA, Chv, RSL, Van, Dal, Col, Por, SJ, Hou, Sea.

Now, teams along the vertical axis (down the side) represent the home team and teams along the horizontal axis (across the top) represent the away team. Since a team can't host itself place an "X" along the diagonal from cell B2 to T20. Those are games that don't exist. Then to drop out the "missing" home game for each team in a way that minimizes teams not hosting conference opponents start a second diagonal of "X"s from the first non-Conference home game for Philly in cell K2 (versus LA). This diagonal extends from K2 to T11 and then moves across to B12 to J20.

So, for my random draw:

Philly doesn't host LA and play away at Chivas.
    Toronto doesn't host Chivas and play away at Salt Lake.
    DC doesn't host Salt Lake and play away at Vancouver.
    New York doesn't host Vancouver and play away at Dallas.
    Chicago doesn't host Dallas and play away Colorado.
    Montreal doesn't host Colorado and play away at Portland.
    New England doesn't host Portland and play away at San Jose.
    KC doesn't host San Jose and play away at Houston.
    Columbus doesn't host Houston and play away at Seattle.
    LA doesn't host Seattle and play away at Philly.
    Chivas doesn't host Philly and play away at Toronto.
    Salt Lake doesn't host Toronto and play away at DC.
    Vancouver doesn't host DC and play away at New York.
    Dallas doesn't host New York and play away at Chicago.
    Colorado doesn't host Chicago and play away at Montreal.
    Portland doesn't host Montreal and play away at New England.
    San Jose doesn't host New England and play away at KC.
    Houston doesn't host KC and play away at Columbus.
    Seattle doesn't host Columbus and play away at LA.

So, only ONE fixture of the "play each conference opponent home and away" concept is missing: Seattle at LA. Every other team plays each of their conference opponents once home and once away but loses one home game and one away game against a non-conference opponent. Seems reasonable to me and WAAAAAAAYYYYY better for season ticket buyers at each club. That's my main point: my preference as a season ticket buyer is to see my home team play as many DIFFERENT opponents as possible. I presume most other fans are the same way (but can't be sure). This format isn't perfect but given the restrictions seems like the best deal to season ticket holders to me. I really, really, really hope the league doesn't go divisionmania because this is a perfectly viable solution IMHO.

14. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fair enough. But I still think things balance themselves out with a schedule like this.

Sure, lets say the Red Bulls might have had to have played in DC twice, but then they have two home games against philly to compensate for that.

But i get what you're saying.

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Last year's record, maybe. Best team doesn't play two against the worst, second-best doesn't play twice against second-worst, etc.

16. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal
    Should be play each team home and away, with trips designed to minimize travel distances.

But, since it's MLS, that means you'll play "rivals" 4 times out of a terrible attempt to make things less boring, killing the magic of htose games, and only seeing some teams once...

17. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does playing a team more often kill the magic of those games?

Honestly, I would like to now figure out where this logic comes from.

18. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    MLS should be well advised not to take self-conflicting advice.

19. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal
    playing toronto a potential 6 games in a year kills magic. It'll end up nearly as boring every other MLS game.

Playing them twice a year was special. Possibly playing them 4 in league, and 2 in canadian play, is not special.

what?

20. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lol.
    Stan is trying to tell you that this doesn't make sense.

I thought they changed it to a knockout competition? Those 2 games are not guaranteed.

If those games against Toronto are boring, wouldn't that then make the other games exciting?:confused:

21. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on this front, I don't think that the divisions should be fixed in stone.
    Maybe each year they should rearrange them. Like maybe the top 2 in each conference switch groups every year, or something similar.

Obviously the teams that are played once, the reverse fix is played.

22. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the conferences (and I didn't read the entire thread so I don't know if anyone else has said), why not just do East, Central, West like what was done before?

23. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal

1. It doesnt make sense to design trips to minimize travel distance, ex: not having MTL go to vancouver, then to whatever team is furthest south east, then fly to play portland?

2. That's why I said possibly. And no, making some games boring, doesnt all of a sudden mean Montreal- Chivas is going to be awesome.

How on earth are people suggesting shit similar to college games, unbalanced schedules, etc, with a straight face?

24. artml

artml Member

Liverpool FC
    Ukraine
    Jul 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is how they do things in Russia, whose League Championship (or 2nd division) features teams all way in between Kaliningrad and Vladivostok, or along the 6000 mi distance. (check the map on russian wiki.)

To reduce traveling costs they have divided all the teams to "neighbouring" pairs (i.e. Vladivostok pairs w/ Khabarovsk, Novosibirsk w/ Krasnoyarsk and so on). All road games are scheduled accordingly: you play the "neighbours" in sequence, and do not return home in between. This increases accommodation costs (for you have to pay the hotels) but seriously decreases traveling costs, jetlags fatigue and so on.

It has (well, had) 20 teams, too, and it has been for decades, so the experience might be worth looking at.

25. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My preference for the future going forward is a balanced conference schedule and a non-conference schedule determined by previous season's records.

Don't think that's unreasonable.