It's Time

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by JCUnited, Nov 2, 2007.

1. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is in the fans section because it's about the SUPPORTERS Shield.

I think it's time to just dump it. Stick it up somebody's arse. Because, honestly, it doesn't mean much.

I'll admit it's a nice gesture. But what is the actual value? Being the best in a regular season when there's a playoffs doesn't mean much. Want proof? Take a look at the history, people.

1996 Tampa Bay Mutiny (lost in Eastern Conference Final)
    1997 DC Uniteed (won MLS Cup)
    1998 Los Angeles Galaxy (lost in Western Conference Final)
    1999 DC United (won MLS Cup)
    2000 Kansas City Wizards (won MLS Cup)
    2001 Miami Fusion FC (lost in semi-final round)
    2002 Los Angeles Galaxy (won MLS Cup)
    2003 Chicago Fire (lost in MLS Cup)
    2004 Columbus Crew (lost in first round)
    2005 San Jose Earthquakes (lost in first round)
    2006 DC United (lost in Eastern Conference Final)
    2007 DC United (lost in first round)

I'll grant that four clubs have won the Supporters Shield and gone on to MLS Cup glory. But four out of twelve ain't great numbers. And nobody has won both since 2002. Three of the last four Supporters Shield winners went down in the first round to eighth seeds. THREE OF THE LAST FOUR have lost to the WORST PLAYOFF TEAM.

So it clearly doesn't mean much in the MLS landscape. Sure, you get your CONCACAF Champions Cup spot. But I think any MLS club would gladly trade a CONCACAF spot for a MLS Cup victory.

We're constantly told that MLS is the American league and will be run by the American system of playoffs to determine a champion. When you factor in that Supporter Shield winners are way more likely to not win the MLS Cup, and recent history shows a quick playoff exit, it really doesn't mean much.

The Supporters Shield is the equivalent to getting a watch from your company after fifteen years of service. Sure it's a nice token gesture, but it doesn't mean much.

If I'm an MLS club, winning the Supporters Shield would be a horrifying prospect.

I think it's time to kiss it goodbye.

2. hehe

hehe New Member

Mar 30, 2006
  3. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely and utterly disagree with you.

4. GreG36

GreG36 New Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Jackson, TN
    So instead of getting anything for having the best record, they dont get anything to go along with their loss in the playoffs? They deserve something for their regular season efforts...

5. peridigm

peridigm Member

Apr 19, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is everyone so stuck on the premise that the SS winner must win MLS Cup and when they don't they are the worst club because they dumped out of the MLS Cup in the first round, semi's, or whenever. It's real simple people. As a fan of soccer I would rather D.C. United win the SS than MLS Cup. Would I have liked it if they didn't win SS but won the MLS cup? Not as much. Suppose the tables were turned and Chicago won the SS and D.C. barely edged into the playoffs then went on to the win the MLS Cup. When it was all said and done I would still think of the MLS Cup as an end of the year tournament separated from the regular season. Let's face it. 30 games, 13 teams, 8 make it to the playoffs. That is more than half of the league. D.C. could have easily played for the last playoff spot and put more emphasis on Super Liga and Copa Sudamericana. This is soccer. Any team can be beat on any given day regardless of how good they are. Look at Chelsea whipping Manchester City 6-0 last week. Man City is ahead of Chelsea in the table. Does that mean Man City sucks. I don't think so. This is a game of mistakes. D.C. made mistakes this week and they paid for it. Who had a better regular season? D.C. United. Who scored more goals than any other team? D.C. United. Who had the highest goal differential? D.C. United. Who has the 2007 Golden Boot Winner on their team? D.C. United. MLS would do this league justice if they put more weight on the SS and made the MLS Cup a season long tournament with the semis and final before the end of the season. I think there is a better chance of major MLS Cup changes than the SS dissapearing.

If the Supporters Shield is the equivalent to getting a watch from your company after fifteen years of service then the MLS Cup must be like having a job and not doing shit for 15 years then all of a sudden you get to ******** the boss's wife.

6. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that what happened to you on your 15th anniversary with your company? LOL.

I think that the MLS Cup should have the top teams from the previous year (maybe 8) and depending on where you finish is where you are seeded into the tourney. You finish top of the division? Awesome, you're in the semi. You finish four? You have four games to win. Something like that would be great!

7. peridigm

peridigm Member

Apr 19, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No because I am the boss.

8. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You didn't get to sleep with your wife on your 15th anniversary? Ouch. :D

Sorry, the door was opened...

9. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, it sucks to lose in the first round.