It's still a corrupt system

Discussion in 'Elections' started by olckicker, Nov 2, 2004.

1. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    In moments when the election hoopla threatens to conquer my intellectual discipline I remind myself that the system is corrupted by a business/consumer mentality that panders for votes and values homogeneity and instant gratification -- speaking of which there is absolutely nothing wrong with waiting a few weeks until votes are counted carefully and thoughtfully.

2. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet BushCorp. must be ousted. Their removal from power will have real meaning for enough people on enough days to make the undertaking worth it.

You disagree?

3. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want my results and I want them now.

Don't care how, I want it now....

4. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    I agree about the ousting of Bush but the Kerry difference is debatable. At best modern presidential elections are a choice between lesser and greater evils.

5. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or lesser and greater goods; to be fully aware of the system, and rebuke it accordingly, is good. To get Bush out of office, to stop his team from inflicting harm with their worldview, is the greater good.

6. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree - the system is corrupt and broken. But this election is, at it's core, a referendum on Bush's first term. I think it's vitally important that the American people send a clear message that we solidly reject the neocon worldview. I think we were all fooled coming in, and given the astronomical turnout now it's pretty clear most people have their eyes wide open. We'll know for certain by tonight, hopefully.

Fixing the system comes next.

7. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    and you propose _________________ instead of a business/consumer based society?

Please, please, please take an Economy class at some point in your life.

8. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    It might be time for another consumerism thread where I prefer to discuss this subject in greater detail. But for now I'll just type this: based on memories from my macroeconomics class plus fragments from various theories capitalism's social benefits come from the profit motive (buying, selling, working, owning businesses, etc.) The problem is the profit motive is still the primary motive -- Bill Gates wanted to make money first and change society second. Unfortunately no alternatives exist until humans can improve their nature to create an economic system without the profit motive like earth in Star Trek.

9. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    Of course profit is first and "change" is second. Why is profit as motive a "problem?" Most people call these things jobs. But let's pretend we did change first. Change to what? (And you can't say, "to like earth on Star Trek," as I and many others who aren't D&D playing potheads never watched star trek) And once your change is here, THEN what?

10. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    How can Americans says that they want Bush out if its's 50-50? 50% of the people prefer Kerry or one of the independent candidates and 50% prefers Bush.

11. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't know yet. But the astronomical turnout does not bode well for Bush.

12. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I know what ya mean, but when you read the post, it seems as if 98% of the country is pro Kerry. It may be, but the polls that they make public have it that it's 50-50. Ya never though since they aren't polling everybody.

13. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    I will only talk smack in the smack thread.
    See you there!

14. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Huh?

15. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    Earth's economy in Star Trek doesn't use money so people no longer "work for a living". Instead they work to improve themselves as humans. The abundant advantages of such a society should be obvious: artists can focus on creating art; scientists can focus solely on research and experimentation; athletes can focus on solely on their sports; politicians can focus on honest governments and campaigns.

In elections the profit motive would be less of a problem if the major media organizations offered ads for free as a civic duty -- that's the least they could do.

16. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well - the clear and easy choice (I thought) on the referendum on Bush's first term was eschewed by the American people.

Bring on the soma!

17. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    My vote for "Post That Turned The Most On It's Writer".

Congrats.