It's Official: USA vs. El Salvador, RFK, 11/17, 3PM ET

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Atouk, Oct 8, 2002.

1. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dispossessed easily? You're kidding, right?

You must be confusing him with about 95% of all the other American players or maybe he had a terrible game with the Metros that you saw, but Chung has great ball skills, some of the best this country has produced.

Still, he's been called in before and the last time (in 2000?) Arena didn't give him much of a chance (or Chung had a lousy camp, who knows) and that's the last the Nats will probably see of him.

2. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Well, I didn't see much of Chungy this year, I have to admit that. But I used to watch him 16 games a year from my seat in section 133 (when the Metros were going right to left) and saw how easily dispossessed he was time after time after freakin' time. And he's not fast and he's a terrible crosser of the ball. I understand he had a better year, but I would find it difficult to believe that at his age he improved so much. I really have no idea how you can say that Chung has such great ball skills.

3. kingwho

kingwho New Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Minneapolis
    What are the odds that anyone will be called from Europe for this?

If there was anyone who would it be?

I havent looked at the European calender yet to see if this weekend fits within a "Euro 2004" schedule.

What exactly is the point of a game like this besides taking a look at some guys in a week-long camp and a psuedo-game atmosphere?

4. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Slim and None

2) $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    and it's also a nice chance to blood some newbies in what promises to be a hostile atmosphere in a meaningless match (I'm not talking about the fans although from what I have heard about that is a distinct possibility...)

5. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Look at Arena's callups prior to the Australia friendly in '98 after the WC and then look how many of those guys made it to the WC in '02. I think there was 6 or 7 guys who made it all the way to '02. Maybe the same thing will happen in this case.

6. IamtheShark

IamtheShark New Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Springfield, IL
    Last night during the playoff games, the announcers listed off some of the players who've been called in for training camp. Is there a complete list out there somewhere?

7. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe there is one yet.

FYI, today's Wash Post says that Rimando, Olsen, and Pope are included on a "preliminary U.S. training camp roster" (Convey & Quaranta will likely be playing with the U-20's down in Charleston, so won't get invited to the camp).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2958-2002Oct9.html
    (after the Bruce Arena story)

8. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, could it include a slimmed down and raring to go Mathis?

Will Donovan spend some time in Germany or show up for US camp?

What's Wolff's status these days? Will he be recuperated by then?

Kelly Gray and Kyle Martino?

Maestroanni?

I'm thinking as many as 30 for the camp.

9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

mathis and donovan will both be there... that's a definite (donovan can't go to germany until january)

wolff will be lucky to go by the start of mls next year.... armas might come to training camp though, not quite sure where he is at teh moment

i really don't think gray is anywhere near being ready for the national team, martino... i have no clue on... i would think he isn't quite ready aslo

pablo will definitely be called in

yeah, i think camp might be a bit big as well... howard, meola, brown and maybe another keepr called in to camp.. i'd rather not see meloa though, there is no point in having him anymore

10. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    what's restricting landon from going to germany before january?

11. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed the transfer window wouldn't be a factor since he is under contarct by Leverkusen