It's official: Tony's back

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by goalscorer111, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Mathis is a God

Mathis is a God New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    NJ
  2. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got one more ring than anyone has earned in a Metros uniform.

You (generic you) don't like Suarez. You (generic you) don't like Meloa.

You'd think after 10 years, you Metros fans would be easier to please.

3. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why wasn't Columbus in any rush to get this guy? No one has yet been able to answer this in any convincing way....And why are we apparently paying him so much money?

4. I am Joe²

I am Joe² New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Jersey
    I'd rather have Meola starting down the stretch and playoffs then Wells. It only takes one of Wells brain farts in the playoffs to send us packing once again.

5. dbm20th

dbm20th New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Morris County. NJ
    Because he is a risk, and Columbus doesn't have a Zach Wells to fall back on this year if the risk does not pay off. Walker is less of a risk, if any at all

6. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, what did we get for Walker???? Some future 1/2 alltoment BS???

7. muscfiorentina

muscfiorentina New Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Meadowlands Area
    Fat Tony's back..... What's Next Big ********** playing Striker????

Super Club My A$$ :mad: :mad: :mad:

8. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    You've mistaken the defender for the keeper. It's Jeff Parke who has the brain Farts. Zach WQells has done a good job. This past match against the Revs was his first very bad one.

9. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    See:
    6/04/05 - @ LA
    4/16/05 - @ KC Wizards

To correct:

10. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    You have to give Lalas some credit. He's been active since joining the Metros. Will shuffling the deck achieve success?

11. Mathis is a God

Apr 26, 2004
    NJ
    The revs game was his first VERY BAD one, so the only ones being just bad were alright. As far as im concerned, the only good game he had was against DC.

12. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta jump in here and say that all this Wells-bashing seems a little misplaced. I always like underdogs - so I like to see Metro win as long as it isn't against FCD ;) - and it seems to me that Wells is performing exceptionally well for someone who maybe should have just been playing the reserve games. remember Reis filling in so well for Adin Brown last year in NE? and look where he is now. Wells might just be around for a while if he keeps it up.

13. Moon79

Moon79 New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    Nobody on these boards has a clue what he will paid!

14. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    I don't want someone in goal who is performing exceptionally well...for a reserve team player. Comparing Reis and Wells is ludicrous.
    Reis:
    2003: Started five games for the Revs, posting a 1.97 GAA.
    2002: Played 11 games for the Galaxy, posting a 1.26 GAA.
    2001: Played 16 games posting eight wins with a 1.41 GAA.
    2000: Played six games, posting a 1.61 GAA.

I for one am not "bashing" Wells. I'm just of the opinion that he should not be playing in 1st team games as his lack of experience has shown badly very often. He could have used more time in the reserves to develop his decision making skills. He definitely should NOT have been starting over Walker, which I'm more pissed about than anything.

15. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course we know what he'll be paid. Don't be absurd.

[​IMG]

16. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    A 4th round pick in the 2006 MLS Supplemental Draft.

AKA: An 8th round pick.

At least that is what my sources are indicating...

17. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Why did we bother? May as well put him on waivers and you'd pick him up for free.

18. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It's unfortunate that Lalas could not put aside his friendship with Meola and think about what was in the best interests of the team.

Tony has already made it clear that he has no intentions of sitting on the bench.....sheesh what a surprise! You've got Jonny Walker who played with a bum shoulder in the playoffs and never bitched and worked his ass off in the offseason and in Reserve matches only to be dealt to the Crew, so that the Metros could pick up an older keeper with an ego problem, who is still a full month away from playing, for more money.

Sure makes a lot of sense doesn't it?.....and what a great way to show loyalty to the players.

19. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    forgive my ignorance.. but he isnt actually going to march in there and take Wells spot is he?? :eek:

20. Mathis is a God

Apr 26, 2004
    NJ
    Lets hope so.

21. 4Winds

4Winds New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Chattanooga
    Welcome back, Tony! :D

22. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    isn't this a subtle fat joke?

Meola goes full circle

and to anwer the question i asked a few days ago (from said article):
    "Meola, who had surgery on his tendon in January, said he’s not fully recovered, but will be on the bench Monday. He also expects to start one day."
    Another Agoos ('not 100%') type player... Awesome..... just effing great.....

Explains why no one wanted him, but not why we are paying him this much, nor why are we giving him a 3 year contract, nor why did he become a priority... Besides, what's a year long layoff to a player? :rolleyes:

23. AbercrombieAnde

AbercrombieAnde New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Utica NY
    Meola will start in about a month (just in time for the last stretch and playoffs) after he gets in shape and his injury heals

24. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I think Meola is a good addition. Like he said, this team is really, really young. There's 15 players on the team that were born in the 80's. That's pretty rare to see. Adding a guy like Meola, who has MLS experience and has pride in being a Metro, can only help the young guys. Walker was a good goalie, but what did he do in MLS that was go big of a deal? Come guys, there were plenty of times when we complained about him. Remember that game against San Jose? If Wells was bad Saturday, what was Walker then? Or how about that game against DC when he let Moreno walk the ball into the goal?

Wells has done a great job so far, but having an unexperienced goalie going into the playoff may not be the best situation.