It's official now... Hudson has lost his mind...

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, Aug 30, 2002.

1. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD
    I decided early on that I would give Hudson at least one season before getting on the fire the coach bandwagon. The more he does the more difficult this is becoming. Then I look at all the injuries and salary cap limitations and say well maybe... Then I look at all the personnel decisions made in the drafts, trades and tryouts and say he/they are idiots. I guess the bottom line is, I will grudgingly give him this season and the off season during which he will hopefully blow up the team and reform it in his own image before I say off with his head.

2. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We definitely did (just Moreno, with Ali subbing for him at 74') during the game I went to in Naperville (0-0 vs. Fire on 7/20).

3. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    If I'm Ray this is how I would do it:

Rimando

Pope Nelsen Mckinley

Reyes Prideaux

Olsen Etcheverry Convey

Moreno Q2

I would also definately bring in Ali if we're losing. I definately think that Prideaux and Reyes would be good there because they're both fast and good with one v. one and tackling. I also think Brandon is capable of getting forward more. I would play three central backs so Ivan doesn't get exposed so badly. And where has Ali been lately? Haven't seen him in a while.

4. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Oct 13, 2001
    Miami
    I don't think that is an accurate reflection of his time at Miami, Usula. He initially inherited a very poor Fusion team and in his second year, he took them to the Supporters Shield and only lost in the Playoffs to the eventual winners by a goal in sudden-death overtime. His style of play also increased the attendance by 50%. I have never heard anyone say he failed Miami before. I can only imagine you were angry when you said it. FWIW, I think it is way too early for calling for his head. Unless you know someone champing at the bit, who is guaranteed to bring success.

5. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I also think it is too early to give up on Hudson. After all, he has taken our weakness and made it our strength. I'm willing to let him continue his overhaul ... or "tweaking" as he put it when he arrived. ;)

But I do know one thing, I do NOT want to see Dave Sarachan coaching the Metros next season. If he is, then we've really missed the boat.

There's some sorting out still to be done, even on the defense. United must solve it's midfield defense situation, because we need to have great defense and a little offense from that/those positions. Like many, I enjoyed the McKinley Williams tandem at Dmid in a 352, but it's not going to work. They were actually playing a 451, so of course the defense looked good.

I'd like to see Reyes permanently moved to Dmid in a 352 with a good stay-at-home defender next to him. Right now Ray is thinking McKinley can do it, but at his age that's a bit of a gamble. I'm not sold on Lazo as the backup at that position. I'd rather bring in a new guy or give Namoff a shot at that spot. Ricardo Clark would be THE guy for that spot if we draft him. I expect to see him in the 2003 SuperDraft. Pair him with Reyes and our defense would be set.

Our flank play is dominant, despite not really showing it this season. Our right flank was impotent but now that Olsen is back it should be great again, opening things up for Convey on the left. Now if we get someone like Reyes in to work give-and-goes, we can fly through the midfield. Clark aslo is a good long passer from deep midfield.

We'll likely look for a target forward and fullbacks in the draft as well. The target forwards are Nate Jaqua and Knox Cameron. Jaqua has the skill and Cameron has the physical qualities. Fullbacks that I particularly like if they come out early are Hunter Freeman (UVa Freshman) and Jonathon Spector (U-17's in Bradenton). Freeman is awesome, he can play anywhere. He can organize the defense as a sweeper, play holding mid, or wing fullback and wing midfielder. He's tall, fast, savvy, can cross, great defender and good technical skills. He could develop into an American Reyes IMHO. But, he's more versatile.

-Tron

6. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Ray Hudson lost his mind?

Maybe he should lose his mind more often! ;)

Richie is an offensive dynamo! :D

7. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    For all those ready to fire Hudson, I note that there have been two games this year in which our "big four" salary players each started. Both of those games were against the best team in the league, and Hudson got four points, and a 6-4 goal differential in those 2 games. And it's not like we were at full strength these two games--Q1 was out both games.

PEEK NOSDUH!

8. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    From where I was sitting, Richie Williams more than passed the test as a link man today. Also, he played tremendous ball-winning defense.

Hudson's formation worked. We dominated possession, played great defense other than the two great individual Donovan efforts which really weren't stoppable. We had probably the best set pieces that we've had this season. FINALLY Ray has started putting both Nelsen and Pope in as our targets and clearing the small defenders out of the way. Our service was excellent.

Ray's substitutions made him look like a tactical genious. Villegas was incrediblely efficient. An assist from a beautiful effort almost as soon as he entered. Then he got a good shot opportunity and fired quickly and buried it. Zambrano impressed me more than I expected. He's got a little speed. I was expecting speed similar to Eliseo, but Zamboni is much faster. When a club is able to bring a guy like Prideaux off the bench, you know they've finally solved their defensive woes.

Your game plan worked to perfection today Ray, congrats and thanks.

-Tron

9. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

I am more than happy to eat some crow this early morning..

With that being said, it did work quite well tonight..

On regards to the good subs used by Hudson tonight, it's simply a case of having quality subs to use in the first place.. Injuries have forced us to go to guys like Lassiter, Curtis, Alavanja and Alegria..

Tonight we see the difference when we can finally put together a strong starting 11 (even missing Quaranta and Prideaux)..

Too bad it happened so late this year....

10. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    There's still time, Chris.

One thing to think about, if we win out, then we make the playoffs.

Why? Because right now we are 6 points behind the Metros with 4 games left. If we win all 4 of our games, we have to win 2 more than they do at the most, and therefore the most points that they could accumulate would equal our final total. We would win the tie breaker on virtue of having a 3-0-1 head to head record.

Now you say New England might be able to pull ahead. Right now we are 3 points behind them I believe, and supposing we beat them in a week, we couldn't finish with less points than they do by winning out.

As of right now, we control our own destiny. We can make the playoffs by winning the rest of our games. If my logic is flawed on this one, sorry.

Also keep in mind we still have a game or two in hand from the Kansas City Wizards, and could be able to make up points very quickly on them should they falter at all.

There is still hope!!!!

11. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or would NJ make it with "most wins" which I thought was used when the points are tied?

12. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
  13. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team: