It's going to be Vancouver and Portland. What Now?

Discussion in 'Ottawa Fury FC' started by DCU1996, Mar 18, 2009.

1. AlanDavidson

AlanDavidson New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    West Carleton
    Club:
    Peterborough United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ortawa is obviously not very familar with Lansdowne Park. The Southside stands were in two sections. The smaller lower section was older than the much larger upper section. and has been demolished, but the upper section was not connected to the lower section and was unaffected by the demolition. So the stadium still has a big stand on either side. I've looked for an on-line photo but can't find one that is up to date.

Also this is not going to be simply a matter of a stadium in Kanata or downtown as there is no proponent of an MLS soccer franchise to play at Lansdowne Park. It is more a question of whether or not the City will grant approval for the Kanata Stadium development plans conditional on winning an MLS franchise.

2. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would llike to hear from the city on whether Lansdowne could be used in it's current state. I have been assuming that there was no possibility of doing anything with it except a major renovation or a complete rebuild.

It would certainly be interesting to hear if the Hunt group was really committed to football, if it was separated from the lucrative real estate side of their proposal.

3. andpro

andpro New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And looking at the proposed ownership group, their bottom line is probably about the real-estate end of things.

4. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That would be my guess as well.

5. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Things sound encouraging, according to Gerry Dobson's blog:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2009/03/23/dobson_vancouver/

And trust me, if Melnyk gets his stadium, he'll get his team. It’s a certainty.

But it’s a big hurdle.

The league wants Ottawa so badly they sent a letter Monday morning to the mayor and city councillors letting them know how strongly they feel about Melnyk and the chances for success of a team in the nation's capital.

6. andpro

andpro New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That is pretty encouraging, but I'll wait until I see a stadium going up and a team being announced until I really get my hopes up. I'm tired of all this talk that Ottawa is a shoe-in if we get the stadium, the council vote will only be a small step on a long road, and Ottawa city council does not have a very good track record with big projects like this.

7. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I hear you, but I do think it is encouraging if MLS are talking to council. One obstacle I was concerned about was the fact that the Hunt Group already had their franchise, but it sounds like MLS are trying to remove that issue (whether or not they follow through).

8. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  9. andpro

andpro New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    More of the same from Garber, I would be encouraged if these comments started to yield results, but so they have just been getting our hopes up. April 22 will show us if Garber's word means anything to O'brien and the council, and still then it is not guaranteed that we'll get a team.

10. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Frank Clair was used last year after the demolition for GeeGee's football. Granted the crowds were not huge, but it was usable (North side only).

For me, I think Melnyk's plan is a godsend for the city to get out of having to develop Lansdowne. I cannot see any of the urban councillors voting for Hunt's plan after earlier voting for a competition to develop. With the western suburban councillors likely plumping for Melnyk, that puts him in a good position. Someone like Peter Hume, pushing to be the Mayor, might get behind the competition at Lansdowne and the stadium in Kanata. But what do I know? I am a cappucinno sucking Glebe-ite.

Counter to this is the fact that as developers, the Hunt group has had a lot of experience "dealing with" council and staff. And I am sure if they get refused they will just go to the OMB for redress.

11. AlanDavidson

AlanDavidson New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    West Carleton
    Club:
    Peterborough United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think there could be an appeal of a City decision on this to the OMB. The City of Ottawa owns Lansdowne Park land and facilities. There's no zoning decision involved. The City can decide itself what to do with the land and who to lease some of the facilities to, at what cost etc.

12. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I know - I am just joking around that developers ALWAYS appeal adverse decisions to the OMB

13. andpro

andpro New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That letter was pretty harsh towards CFL football, I believe football would work, but soccer is better for the overall appeal of the City. Soccer will attract a lot more attention and it will allow for opportunities to play on an international stage like for example the champions league and we could attract teams from european leagues to play friendlies. Soccer will do mush more for the profile of the city.

14. Blurrie

Blurrie New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  15. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  16. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  17. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I wonder what Richard Starnes angle will be in the Citizen tomorrow? I hope he has managed to get some more information on the two proposals as they were submitted to council as the decision will probably be made on those details.

18. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  19. andpro

andpro New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Given the criteria I think Melnyk's bid has the edge but it will still be a tight race.

20. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I thought that the Hunt group might have changed their proposal to use federal and provincial infrastructure money, instead of the city funding the entire stadium cost through debt, but it doesn't sound like they have. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how the city will go for that. Why pay for it all if you can get other levels of government to pay for 2/3 of it?

21. andpro

andpro New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah, it is kind of surprising, especially given the economic times. I think that the Hunt group has lost a bit of interest since Lansdowne has become less of a possibility for the kind of development that they want with other locations being discussed. I think it looks good for Ottawa MLS.

22. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I wonder if Lansdowne being in the thick of an NDP riding (Paul Dewar) as opposed to Kanata (gordon O'Connor, Conservative) would make any difference in the speed of any federal funding?

23. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  24. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It would be interesting to know his views on Melnyk's proposal, but you are right that he isn't voting for Lansdowne Live! I still get the feeling that Melnyk may snatch it on the 22nd, partly because the CFL supporters and those like Clive Doucet who want more done with Lansdowne, may split the non-soccer vote.

Does anyone know the rules for a decision in council? Does it just require a simple majority in favour of one of the choices (Kanata, LL or neither)?