It's been fun, but ...

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Beez, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Beez

Beez Member

Dec 20, 1999
    As a reporter for a relatively small suburban paper, I've used this forum to expose my stories (but not expose myself, mind you) to a wider audience, and the feedback from some of the folks on these boards has been much appreciated over the years.

So I felt as if I should let you guys know that my days as Revolution chronicler for the Eagle-Tribune are coming to an end. I'm taking a copy-editing job at another paper (the one that Gus Martins used to work for).

Times are awfully tough in the newspaper business right now, and papers like the Eagle-Tribune are finding it increasingly difficult to devote resources to not only soccer, but other pro sports (we probably only covered half of the Bruins' and Celtics' home games last year, and that percentage will surely drop this year). Looking back four or five years ago, it's hard to believe that I could spent much of my summer covering two pro soccer teams (Revs and Breakers), not to mention much of my fall covering the high school beat. For a suburban paper, that's a lot of soccer -- probably too much, but my boss was good about letting me do what I liked.

But times have changed. Trust me, newspaper coverage of the Revs and MLS in general is not going to get any more plentiful in coming years. Just the opposite will happen, I fear. Major U.S. dailies are slashing (or eliminating) road coverage for NHL teams, and if they're ignoring hockey, they're certainly going to ignore soccer. It's just too expensive, and the teams simply aren't popular enough to justify the expense.

However, I'm still optimistic. In the wake of the World Cup, it's clear that attitudes have changed toward the sport. The cranky haters are a dying breed, and the next generation has far more respect for the game. They might not all love it, but they have an open mind about it. These people will be the editors and producers, sooner than later, and the last vestiges of bias against the sport will fade.

That doesn't mean MLS is going to explode in popularity, but the game will get a fairer shake, especially in the new media that will be most relevant 25 years down the road. Keep that mind as the traditional media find it increasingly difficult to devote time and resources to MLS.

Anyway, that's my soap-box moment. Thanks to those who took the time to read my stories over the last seven years, and keep reading (and supporting -- through letters to the editor, page views, subscriptions, anything) the reporters who still cover MLS. (Especially Mike Biglin in your Boston Herald!)

Tim Bresnahan

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim,

Thanks for all the great articles you wrote and the great info you passed along. I know you not only as a writer but also as a friend, and obviously I wish you the best. The soccer community is losing a great asset with you moving to a different position.

Good luck though ... and definitely stop by some of the games/tailgates will ya...

3. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and the industry loses yet another talented writer...

4. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Jim Rome still has a job, I'll never understand this world.

5. mrt/MLS

mrt/MLS Member

Oct 11, 2003
    CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks Tim. good luck at the new job.

(go Revs)

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Ditto.

7. Ann

Ann Member

Feb 17, 1999
    MA
    Best of luck Tim. You're a great writer and your articles will be missed.

8. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to hear you're stepping up to a real job. :)

9. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having seen nearly every one of my friends who worked at the Evil-Tribune quit in the past six months or so, I can't say I'm surprised you're jumping ship.

It's too bad that things have fallen so far there (hard to believe, from its current state, that the paper actually won a Pulitzer!), but all in all, it'll certainly serve you better. At this stage, I think it'd be best for the paper if it just crashed and burned anyway....

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the best to you Tim. As someone who used to work in the newspaper industry back in the Paeleolithic Age, I know what you're saying about the realities of the biz.

I guess now you can be a fan and let your hair down--no need to be objective anymore! I mean tell us how you really feel about Ante Razov! :p