It's a Ruud state of affairs...

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    excellent post.

2. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Since winning the CL our still has changed. Funnily enough, whilst watching the Chelsea game at the pub, my friend and I were commenting on how we no longer play cavilier football but, a more contenintal-european style.

We don't actually have the players to do it anymore anyway. Giggs, Keane, Scholes were at the peak of fitness then and Beckham had an extremely different style of play also our strikers of that time were suited to that kind of game especially with the excellent understanding Yorke and Cole had upfront. The only way we could ever get back into such a system is with a team of regular starters playing with each other over and over and over again till they know each others moves and responses to an almost telepathic level.

It'd take at least 12months to build up such a team tempo again but, I don't think Fergie sees that style of footy to be the way forward for us because Europe is our main goal every year now and he doesn't want the teams rythmic euro style disrupted by playing two diff styles (one for prem, one for europe) which is fair enough.

3. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    et tu Savante?

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Never, Never, Never, Never, Never

No shakespeare quotes or references please... I have a final to take and I can just imagine me saying that in the 5th thread of the 1st board motterman said "it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing..."

See, its started already, I cant stop... its not my fault, its not, I swear...

Lol... I can actually think of a few quotes that are fitting...

Romeo and Juliet
    O Shevchenko, Shevchenko! wherefore art thou Shevchenko? Deny thy father (club) and refuse (high wages) thy name; or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love (striker), And become a Capulet (Red Devil).

Titus Andronicus

Die, die,(Lavinia) Liverpool, and thy shame with thee

---------------

(Howard) Lucius, save the child (PK)
    and bear (parry) it from me to the (touch)empress.
    If thou do this, I'll show thee wonderous things (bonus!!!)

Julius Caesar

(On Ole Gunnar)

This was the noblest Roman of them all
    All the conspirators (bench strikers) save only he
    Did that they did in envy of great Caesar (Ruud)
    He only, in a general honest thougt
    And common good to all, made one of them
    his (first touch) life was gentle, and the elements (of his game) So mix'd in him that Nature (Sir Alex) might stand up and say to all the world 'This was a (Striker) man!

Perhaps one of the best... lol

Julius Caesar again... Portia speaking to Brutus...

I grant I am a woman (uraguayan); but withal a woman (uraguayan) that Lord Brutus/SAF took to wife (bought on a transfer)

King Lear...

As flies to wanton boys, is the premiership to ManU
    We kill them for sport

Theres one in Antony and Cleopatra that reminds me of Keano..
    Age cannot wither her/him, nor custom stale/injury
    Her/His infinite variety: other women cloy(other teams covet) the appetites(strikers) they/he feeds....

5. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Post of the Year? :D

6. Bizzo

Bizzo New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    toronto
    United could definitely play that style again and be successful with it. Since going to a more defensive/continental/boring style United hasn't become any more successful than they were before.The results are basically the same -- both in the league & in Europe.

Chelsea are playing an attackng style after bringing in almost an entire new squad. United shouldn't be buying players who aren't capable of playing attractive attacking football.

When Fergie sold Beckham & Veron and didn't replace them with proven players I wasn't too thrilled, but I had faith in Fergie's judgement. When he sold Ince, Hughes & Kanchelski in the same summer & didn't replace them with anyone he knew that the 'kids' could step in. So far while the new players have all shown flashes none of them have shown they are capable of being major contributers to a title winning side.

7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just the product of a rapidly approaching finals week...

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You made some sense... however, beware, these little contributions always go unnoticed during the season but after a title you realize how important they were... also, I have no doubt that after a year we will be a stronger team than we were last year... At which time the contributions being made by Ronaldo, Kleb, Dj, Fletch and Howard will be key...

9. Bizzo

Bizzo New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    toronto
    I'm aware of the importance of players doing the 'little things' during the course of a game & season. The point of this thread isn't little things though, it's the biggest thing -- goals.

I was also responding to Dark Savante's contention that United's current squad isn't capable of playing an entertaining & attacking style. I don't believe this is the case, but if it is United should never have signed such players. United have a responsibility that most other clubs don't. They have to win games & also entertain.

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree with you there, we can play enterprising football with the new blood, given time... but we have already seen flashes from Ronaldo, Kleb and DjDj..

Ronaldo with his twists and turns. DjDj with his fierce tackling, good runs and long passes... and Kleberson with his first time balls and brazilianess...