Italy's Class of '86-'87 (U-20s) [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by SueB, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Swami

Swami Member

Mar 5, 2005
    Re: Italy's Class of '87 (U-19s) [R]

I hear where you're coming from. Your post is well articulated and partially ratifies the general assumption as to why Rossi wants to play for Italy rather than the US. I encourage you to post this in the Yanks Abroad or USMNT sections.

However, I will admit that as a USMNT fan I would rather see Rossi play for the US. I think it is equally important to understand that we US fans want Rossi to play for the US precisely because we are looking to build our own soccer culture in this country -- which is happening slowly but surely.

Unlike in "developed" soccer countries, in the US, the establishment of a national soccer culture will require a greater drive from top down success (i.e. the USMNT challenging for a WC title) than from bottom up evolution (though that's important, too). That's why the loyal USMNT denizens of this board either want a potential superstar like Rossi to choose the US or react very emotionally and negatively to his current preference to play for Italy. In practical terms, Rossi could have a much greater impact on changing the soccer culture in the US than he could have on that of Italy's.

So, while you and a few others may find some on the Yanks Abroad boards a bit disturbing, understand where they are coming from. As an American, I would hope you would join us -- a relatively small but rapidly growing group of fervently passionate fans trying to invoke structural change in American society in the name of the Beautiful Game.

I would hope that you would help, Rossi-aside.

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Italy's U-19s continued their poor form with a 2-1 friendly loss to Turkey on Wednesday. Turkey scored first in the 29th minute, but Inter's Matteo Momente' tied it four minutes later. But Turkey scored again in the 93rd minute to secure the win.

Here was Italy's squad for this match:

Portieri: Farinelli (Triestina), Sirigu (Palermo);
    Difensori: Antonelli (Milan), Belmonte (Bari), Bianchi (Padova), Brivio (Fiorentina), De Silvestri (Lazio), Rinaldi (Udinese), Rossi (Parma), Vitale (Napoli);
    Centrocampisti: Candreva (Ternana), Castiglia (Reggina), Maccoppi (Piacenza), Marsili (Roma), Prevete (Empoli), Ungaro (Reggina);
    Attaccanti: Florian (Treviso), Maniero (Juventus), Momentè (Inter), Tiboni (Atalanta).

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Here are the rest of the Under-19s' results from last season. Very ugly. I can't imagine any Italian team having a worse season than this. 5-1 loss to Turkey? Losing to Cyprus? The Serie D Top 11? I'll only say they surely did a lot of experimentation with the lineups.

March 15 - Italy 2 Norway 0
    April 12 - Turkey 5 Italy 1
    May 15 - Cyprus 2 Italy 1
    May 17 - Cyprus 1 Italy 2

Squad list for the Cyprus friendlies:
    Ardemagni Matteo Milan
    Brivio Davide Fiorentina
    Campisi Luisito Atalanta
    Candreva Antonio Ternana
    Castiglia Ivan Reggina
    Consigli Andrea Atalanta
    Cremonesi Michele Cremonese
    De Silvestri Lorenzo Lazio
    Farinelli Lorenzo Triestina
    Gasparetto Daniele Atalanta
    Momente' Matteo Inter
    Piazza Federico Milan
    Prevete Felice Empoli
    Rinaldi Michele Udinese
    Rossi Marco Parma
    Soddimo Danilo Sampdoria
    Tedeschi Luca Bologna
    Tiboni Christian Atalanta

June 2 - Italy 0 Top 11 Serie D 2

Game table:
    Consigli (Farinell); Pisano (Perticone), Esposito, Andreolli, Vicentini (Tedeschi); Costa (Giani), Botta; Acquafresca (Perna), Aurelio.

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Re: Italy's Class of '87 (U-20s) [R]

I sure thought I had posted this already but clearly not. The new Under-20 team will be playing again in the friendly Four Nations tournament with Austria, Switzlerland and Germany. I haven't seen a full game schedule, but the first match is tomorrow (Sept 13) in Visp, Switzerland.

This squad is coached by Pierluigi Casiraghi, who also coaches the Under-21s, and is essentially a 'B' team for that age group. Here are the players called up for this match:

Ignazio Abate (Modena)
    Robert Acquafresca (Treviso)
    Salvatore Aurelio (Genoa)
    Giacomo Bindi (Varese)
    Salvatore Burrai (Cagliari)
    Antonio Candreva (Ternana)
    Daniele Capelli (Arezzo)
    Alessio Cerci (Brescia)
    Domenico Criscito (Genoa)
    Andrea Giacomini (Roma)
    Flavio Lazzari (Modena)
    Alessio Manzoni (Atalanta)
    Claudio Marchisio (Juventus)
    Massimiliano Marsili (Roma)
    Lino Marzoratti (Empoli)
    Andrea Masiello (Siena)
    Daniele Padelli (Crotone)
    Alessandro Simonetta (Arezzo)
    Luca Tedeschi (Cremonese)
    Marco Zambelli (Brescia)

I'm mildly surprised that Arturo Lupoli is not here, but I'm guessing it has to do with club conflicts since this is only a friendly match. Same for Matteo Momente', who was starting for this squad a year ago when they were Under-19s. He's on loan from Inter (where he helped to win the Primavera Cup last year) to Sambenedettese (in Serie C1), so maybe that's it, but he IS starting with their first team, so it's a little surprising to me.

5. Regency

Regency Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Toronto

Sue,

Is Masiello a Juve youth player?

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Yes, Masiello is a defender from the Juventus school. Was on loan at Avellino last year (41 appearances/1 goal) and is now at Siena.

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Italy's Under-20 side beat Switzerland 1-0 in the first match of this year's Four Nations Tournament. Genoa's Salvatore Aurelio scored the only goal. I haven't managed to find a complete game table.

Previously in the tournament, Germany had also beaten Switzerland, so Italy and Germany are tied with 3 pts apiece, while Switzerland has 0 points, along with Austria who has yet to start. Italy plays it's next game Oct 3 in Austria.

8. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Here are the birth years of the most recent squad. I see there are two 1985s on the squad, which makes some sense since the current U-21s go back to 1984. But the cutoff date for the current U-19s is 1988, so it's a little confusing to say the least. They should just start calling the Under-21 European championship an Under-23 championship since that's really what it is by the time of the final tournament.

Ignazio Abate (Modena) 1986
    Robert Acquafresca (Treviso) 1987
    Salvatore Aurelio (Genoa) 1986
    Giacomo Bindi (Varese) 1987
    Salvatore Burrai (Cagliari) 1987
    Antonio Candreva (Ternana)
    Daniele Capelli (Arezzo) 1986
    Alessio Cerci (Brescia) 1987
    Domenico Criscito (Genoa) 1986
    Andrea Giacomini (Roma) 1987
    Flavio Lazzari (Modena) 1986
    Alessio Manzoni (Atalanta) 1987
    Claudio Marchisio (Juventus) 1986
    Massimiliano Marsili (Roma) 1987
    Lino Marzoratti (Empoli) 1986
    Andrea Masiello (Siena) 1986
    Daniele Padelli (Crotone) 1985
    Alessandro Simonetta (Arezzo) 1986
    Luca Tedeschi (Cremonese) 1987
    Marco Zambelli (Brescia) 1985

9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Here is Casiraghi's latest Under-20 squad for the next round of the Four Nations, Oct 3 vs Austria:

Portieri: Bindi (Varese 1910), Consigli (Sambenedettese);
    Difensori: Criscito (Genoa), Freddi (Roma), Legati (Legnano), Motta (Udinese) Rinaldi (Udinese), Rossi (Parma), Tedeschi (Cremonese);
    Centrocampisti: Abate (Modena), Burrai (Cagliari), Carotti (Cremonese), De Ceglie (Juventus) Lazzari (Modena), Savi (Parma);
    Attaccanti: Acquafresca (Treviso 1993), Cerci (Brescia), Giovinco (Juventus), Lupoli (Derby County).

See Marco Motta makes his return after being away from the national team setup for a long time due to injury. He had been playing for the U-21s before his injury. And Lupoli has apparently been deemed not quite ready for the U-21s.

10. Regency

Regency Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Toronto
    Lupoli has 2 goals today for Derby.

11. beckie

beckie New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    We lost to Austria

2:4

Cerci and Savi scored

12. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Ha, I was just going to post that. Thanks. It'd be nice to see Italy's lineup to see if/how much Lupoli played, but I doubt the FIGC will post it. BTW, since Austria was knocked out of the U-21 UEFA tournament, a lot of the same players who played for Austria's U-21 team against Italy last month also were in this game. Not to excuse the loss, just thought it was worth a mention.

13. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With some games being played in Toronto for the FIFA U-20 World Cup 2007

I am disappointed they will not make the trip to my home town :(

14. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Here's the remaining schedule of Four Nations Cup games for this team:

Dec 3-6 - Italy vs Germany
    Jan 29-Feb - Italy vs Austria
    Feb 18-21 - Germany vs Italy
    May 13-16 - Italy vs Switzerland

15. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy U20s beat Austria 2-0.

As you know Casiraghi is also the coach of the U20s.

They went on the field with a 4-2-3-1:

Padelli; Cremonesi, Canini, Rinaldi, Rossi; Cigolini, Bentivoglio; Russotto, De Ceglie, Paonessa; Acquafresca.

Goals came from De Ceglie and Acquafresca.

Too bad Italy didn't qualify for the FIFA U20 cup, we would've had a pretty good team.

16. VigorLamezia

VigorLamezia New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    CT
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    yea these players seemed to shine a little to late. Paonessa was very impressive today for Vicenza and De Ceglie has been excellent for the most part.