Italy has the most balanced talent

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by FireTrapatoni, Jun 17, 2004.

1. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    I still expect France to win it all and for Italy to disapoint in large part because of Trap, but it has become clear to me that Italy has the best balance of talent between offense and defense. If only they would play well as a team, they could easily win the tournament. France, still the favorite, while having more offensive talent than Italy, does not have a defense to match to Italy. The same goes for Spain, who are not considered 2nd most likely to win by oddsmakers (Italy was 2nd in many cases before it started), although Spain's defense is even worse than France's. England has a good balance of talent, but just not enough great players on any part of the pitch.

2. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    Ooops, I didn't mean to post this in this particular forum.

3. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LMAO

Why are you posting this in here?? Italy are nothing special, their defence struggled to contain a Danish team missing two of their best players and their much hyped attack has underachieved and will find it even harder without Totti, who like Del Piero has never looked the part in a major international tournament anyway. Then there is the Italian midfield which has been unspectacular for a long time, although putting Gattuso and Pirlo in there may improve things. I do not fancy their chances of making it out of their group with Sweden in such sharp form and Denmark feeling confident now. This is the same Italy that in the past 2 years has been beaten in competitive matches by Wales, Croatia, South Korea and struggled twice against Serbia. Can't blame it all on Trapp.

France are still clearly the best team in the tournament. Desailly will surely be gone now unless in emergencies, and Silvestre will be put back to the bench whnever possible. That solves a lot of their defensive problems and their attack will find its feet soon. They won't get sloppy again.

As for England, Sol Campbell is the best central defender in the tournament with the form he is in and Rooney has been sensational. If Owen can improve his form and Scholes finds a scoring touch then it will get interesting for them.

4. fischetts

fischetts New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Long Island/Baltimor

Hey sendorange.. remember that tournament held in Holland (and Belgium too) four years ago where one super attacking team lost to another super defensive team in the semi-finals via penalty kicks? Riddle me this, which attacking midfielder (played as a striker though) in a squad with jerseys colored blue made some spectacular plays in that tournament? I don't believe he was wearing a no. 10 (some overhyped "golden boy" was), but I think he scored a goal or two and made some fine assists. Now, that might not be "spectacular" numbers, but on a team structured tactically like that said team was constructed 4 years ago, that's all they really needed to go somewhat like 30 seconds from winning the whole thing.

Christ, just b/c the man failed at the World Cup and wasn't at his best for one game this tournament (which rightfully so may just be his last), does not mean he never performed well for a team. It was only after everyone proclaimed him the best thing since sliced bread that he started looking pallid.
    Everyone here is quick to slag on him for his attitude, and if that is your prerogative, go right ahead. But your fairy tales of a completely failed player belong in the fiction section of the library.

5. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    Perhaps you didn't see this:

"Ooops, I didn't mean to post this in this particular forum."

With so many forums, it was an easy error on my part.

But anyway, I believe France would have given up a goal to Denmark in that game, although they probably would have scored at least one. Sure Denmark had chances, but Italy's defenders made great plays and Buffon looked rock solid. Barthez gives up more goals than Buffon, but Barthez always makes the clutch play when he has to. But Italy's offense was the problem. My point was Italy's attack is not as dangerous as France or Spain, nor is their defense as stifling as Germany when they were playing their best, but overall, they have a great balance of talent. When teams win these tourneys, it is usually because they play equally as well offensively and defensively. Sorry, but England doesn't come close to having the level of talent as Italy.

You obviously didn't see the part where I said Italy is not playing like they can, but as far as how scouts would evaluate these teams, Italy is a very balanced squad which is why they were favored by many oddsmakers only behind France before the tournament started. When France is at their best, they are better offensively than defensively but overall are a better team.

6. footie-fool

footie-fool New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Florida
    Geez, can't you read man? Just kidding...
    Tell the Italy forum I said "Better find some goals for the Azzuri... They're looking very good on defense but the attack ain't there."

7. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    I agree. With the best overall gk in the world and with a defense that is playing well, if the attackers could only produce half of good results as they do in league play, Italy would be in the business, particularly since the other favored teams have looked suspect defensively.

8. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sol Campbell, u crackhead! ITALY have the best two Alessandro Nesta and Fabio Cannavaro.

France are very overrated. Their defense is absolute rubbish but ging forward they do posssess great weapons, they just don't seem to be loaded weapons right now.

ITALY have had the hardest opening two matches of any of the so called favourites, yet still they are yet to lose, agreed they can play better but they have not been disappointing. Give the danes credit they played brilliantly and the swedes got a moment of magic to get their point.

9. ilv2

ilv2 New Member

May 30, 2004
    L'abbaye de Leffe
    it doesn't matter how balanced your talent is if your coach is absolute garbage.

10. Nedved04

Nedved04 New Member

Jun 19, 2004
    UK
    i would agree. i don't think trappatoni's tactics work at international level. you can't hold out for 1-0 win here Trap.......