Italy at the 2008 Summer Olympics [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Cassano, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    why do you say that..................... US vs Nigeria was 1-2
    and Camerron - Nigeria was close, even though score ended 0-2

If Giovinco puts his shot in the goal @ 25', the game would have been different vs Beligium too.

Every game is different

2. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    I suppose you're right. I just look at the defensive organization (or lack thereof) in the Belgium game and shake my head... considering Nigeria has more talent all over the pitch than Belgium (I've heard elsewhere that Nigeria may be more talented than Italy even :eek:), I can't help but think that they would have exposed our weaknesses pretty quickly and pretty well.

How do you think we would have fared against Nigeria? I never caught any of Nigeria's games and basically stopped watching once Italy was kicked out by the Argentine ref.

3. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Nigeria biggest weakness was that their defense would get caught out of position at times.

I don't understand why Casiraghi had Bocchetti and Criscito play CF together vs Beligium.

Coda had done a good job w/Bocchetti or Criscito so vs Physcial Team Coda should have been paired either one. Or maybe Motta should have been moved to CF.

4. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We could of very well made it to the final if they played like they should have and no bad calls.

5. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Argentina were Pi$$ed @ Collina when Nigeria beat Argentina
    @ 1996 Olympics................Final

Hence the returned favor by Argentina ref/s......................@ Beijing
    Free goal to Beligium, No P.k on Rossi, etc.

6. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    They started the game very brightly though, except for a few defensive errors here and there.

I think that mentally, the team just didn't show up. The incompetent referee probably didn't help either.

7. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Although we played s0-s0, the Argentina ref/s got back at us for 1996.

Anyway, Rossi will get the Golden Shoe Award for being the Top Scorer for Beijing 2008.

8. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Conspiracies :rolleyes: I guess you believe in them with the way Serie A is going, but I don't think it's that strong. The ref screwed you guys that's for sure.

9. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't believe in most conspiracies. But this referee and his colleagues were terrible.

10. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    I agree with Jerrito, there was no conspiracy on the ref's part... he and the linesmen were just terrible. I suppose I'll have to wait longer for Italia - Argentina.

BTW, an Argentine knocking Italians on corruption is just rich.

11. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What's your point? I made the point and said the Argentina ref screwed Italy and thinking of it as a conspiracy for 1996 is the wrong way of thinking.

The corruption comment, I don't mean to be rude, but when we compare Italian corruption to every other league in the world, it ranks highest. It ranks so high, it's caused the league to almost fold, cause rifts and like an economic table is bouncing from recovery. Yeah, corruption is everywhere in football, everywhere, but Italy has the worst track record at this moment in time. Does everything need an explanation on the internet?

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I remember the 1984 Summer Olympic games at Stanford and in LA and Italy did well bringing all there 1st diviison players who hadn't played in a World Cup....there were players like Baresi, Serena, Vierchowod etc etc.....that team went to the Bronze medal game I believe but before then the only time Italy won was in 1936 with Annibale Frossi....

[​IMG]

13. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    I wasn't talking about football, my friend ;) But the Italian government isn't exactly a beacon of transparency, so I probably shouldn't be talking either...

Anyways, didn't intend to insult you personally, I guess Serie A becoming the laughingstock of the footballing world has rendered me a little sensitive to the subject. :eek:

Thanks for taking the time to let us know that we're not the only ones who saw the game as an utter farce.

14. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Too bad your refs are crap for big soccer nation

15. love to be hated

love to be hated New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    enyone have a copies of the games thankyou

16. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    If you live in the United States, you can watch them all on the NBC Olympic website.

17. sklitz11

sklitz11 New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Chicago
    The refs in a game very rarely don't get talked about which is kinda of a shame. These Olympics have had it's share of non-soccer related judging issues. Go back to the World Cup in South Korea and then we can talk big time ref fixing...

Thanks.
    Vince C.

18. Romanista_NYC

Romanista_NYC Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Basel, Switzerland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No sh.t. I watched a few different gymnastics events on nbcolympics.com and the judging appeared so bent that even the commentators made note of it. All in all still a great Olympics event though.

19. love to be hated

love to be hated New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    I live in Canada can you help thankyou

20. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Try CBC's website. They had better overall coverage than NBC especially during the 2nd week as I saw alot of events live that NBC did not show until prime time.

21. broomtree

broomtree New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    haha I love how you bring up Roy Jones Jr. when you clearly don't know a single ********ing thing about him other than the fact that he was a boxer.

stick to soccer, italians

22. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That merited a bump.

23. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I know enough about him because I am older than Roy and have seen everyone of his fights including the farce in South Korea so go crawl back under you bridge Troll.