Italian Soccer

Discussion dans 'Italy' créé par Soccertes, 23 Août 2002.

1. Soccertes

Soccertes Member

2 Janvier 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody here think Italian Soccer is boring? I try to get into it. I'm Italian. I have family in Italy that I visit every year or so. I enjoy following MLS because I can see every MetroStar game either on TV or live. Plus I can see other league games on ESPN. So MLS is very easy to follow and stay on top of.

Serie A is a bit harder for me. I can only see games on RAI on Sundays. It's always different teams and not my favorite team. But mostly, I find Italian soccer to be boring. I watch EPL games on PPV and that is much more entertaining. It seems like the English play a more attacking physical game then the Italians. I don't know if I just haven't given Serie A soccer a chance or maybe I just watched the wrong teams. But does anyone else feel this way? Italian soccer is boring and EPL is more entertaining?

2. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

11 Février 2002
    Why do you support Napoli if you don't like Italian soccer?

I love both. Two very different styles but if you watch a lot of matches and follow the league closely you can appreciate the best of both.

Many people won't watch MLS because they say "it's boring," as well.

I've found very little soccer to be boring personally.

3. SueB

SueB New Member

23 Mars 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    No, I've never heard of anybody else having this opinion before in my life. ;)

4. bestianera

bestianera New Member

21 Mai 2001
    Valvasone
    try Lazio next season: you should find them quite entertaining

most of serie A is still relying on muscular tacklers and the individual skills of the great strikers,i can understand why many people don't appreciate it but there's no less intensity than in a premiership match,in fact there's usually more

Modena,Udinese,Chievo could be surprisingly fun teams to watch
    Inter are the only squad with potential to be a top club in Europe,but they are Inter so...

5. supersport

supersport New Member

17 Octobre 2001
    San Francisco
    I'd say give it a chance. Its much harder to follow a Serie A team here in the States, then a EPL team which may be a reason for your furstation, but give it a chance, it will be worth it. Serie A, is just as exciting as EPL.

6. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

27 Février 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    There are many factors that make EPL games seem more exciting than other leagues in the world. These include:

The commentators- British announcers are tops, and I say this because I can understand them :p. Its hard to get excited about what someone is saying when they speak a different language.

The crowd/atmosphere- the stadiums in England are more compact and have no running tracks around them which makes for a louder audience. You can hear them more clearly react to things that happen on the pitch and that translates into a more immersive experience when watching from home.

The pitch- the pitches in England are generally better than Italian ones, lush green grass and smaller pitches make for faster more attractive soccer.

These are a lot of what makes EPL be considered the most entertaining, on the field English clubs play faster because the pitches are smaller. Other than that, its soccer people! In fact, football in Italy is considered more skillful because the game is dependant less on pace than skill. Its slower, yes, but its not slower than MLS thats for sure! I personally like to watch great players play soccer, thats why I watch Serie A. There are great players in other leagues, but in my opinion not nearly as many as Italy.

7. bestianera

bestianera New Member

21 Mai 2001
    Valvasone
    no,football in Italy is faster by all accounts and i mean ALL; it's more "confused" though (or more hard fought,if you will) and that slows the linear progresion of the ball down a bit: it tends to bounce around before reaching destination

8. Shah

Shah New Member

I never got too much into Serie A when it was on FSW two years to go. That is not say that I found it dull or did not appreciate the higher standard of football. But, I hated the aforementioned tracks and the fact that most stadiums looked decrepit and the atmosphere on TV just could not excite me. The fact that I do not feel passionate about any Italian team or Italy in general adds to it. I am sure if I was not passionate about France, I would not follow the French Championnat (I refuse to call it Ligue 1). I know Italians invented the modern ultras groups, but the American sports fan in me likes the smooth (and admittedly way over commercialized) apperance of EPL telecats with the modern stadiums and the like. The Italian game has flair and passion, but the more physical EPL style with a larger array of big name foreigners spread out over a larger number of big name clubs appealed to me more. But to each their own, we all follow different leagues depending on what our tastes our. I am most interested in the EPL and Championnat, others might like the Serie A and La Liga the best or whatever. I certainly would not call the Serie A boring, nor would I try to tell anyone what leagues they should follow with the most interest.

Partager cette page