Italian All-Time Draft Discussion Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Cassano, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That surprises me. I thought Rossi was more popular with the
    fans as he was nicknamed 'Pablito' and seemed to garner lots
    of attention. I was born in '80 though so I'll heed an old man's
    word. :D

2. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    well one down and one to go. ill post our next pick tomorrow and you guys can wait til monday for your next picks if you want to ;)

3. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That concludes the 7th round. It's been the best in my opinion--
    everyone seems to have done their homework and found excellent
    players, some from much earlier days. Nice job everyone.

4. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    gotta agree with you sempre. seems people have been digging to find a steal this late. and theres alot more great players left. should be fun!

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Others who did great in addition to those mentioned already were Gentile, Cabrini, Causio. Seems like most of Italy 78 has been picked already, and they were all great players. Zoff was a bit shaky at times, though, as I recall. He got beat by a few long distance shots. Great shots, but still, you'd expect a goalie of his caliber to get them.

6. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I read an interview with Cabrini recently (he was selected by FIFA
    as the best young player at the '78 WC) where he was asked which
    Azzurri edition was better, '78 or '82. He said '78 was a better team
    and more technical, but that in '82 the squad finally believed in itself
    and had the necessary 'cynicism' to win. Shows you what it takes to
    win the World Cup. There are class teams that are almost afraid to
    win, and that lack of self-confidence can be the difference.

7. Shen-O

Shen-O Guest

Cough, Espana.

8. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nice round. Now were starting to see more older players getting taken, and as Duck said, everyone is trying to get a steal. This is when the drafter's strategy comes into play and we get to see how intelligent everyone is.

9. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are you planning to use a flat back four or will you play with a sweeper?

That was the conclusion I jumped too.

I agree on your comments on Zoff. His WC 78 is similar to Yashin's WC 62 but not as horrendous. Zoff did let in a few long range beauties in '78 but Yashin had let in more long range shots in 1962 and in one match where the USSR were 4-1 up, Colombia came back draw. Fortunately, Zoff didn't do anything like that in 1978.

In regards to the players drafted in 1978, the best ones have been drafted. There is one Juve defender who played at that World Cup who had a good record at Juve but I'm assuming that he will be drafted near the end. I suggest everyone to go for some oldies before grapping the guy I'm talking about. There was a striker who played in both the WCs of 78 and 82. I don't know how he played in 1978 but he was a ball hog in 1982 and he got injured early in the final. The striker I'm talking was great at Torino, playing a part in their last scudetto.

Cassano, I've checked some of the clips that you gave. They're looking good so far. I'm hoping to see more footage of Mancini, during his Sampdoria days. Most of the footage I've seen of him was when he was with Lazio.

Rava is another great steal. He was a solid defender at the 1938 World Cup.

10. The Bergamister

The Bergamister New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have to give Duck all the credit for Rava, I totally forgot about him. Next pick is coming soon because Duck will need to rewrite probably the bio I gave him because he does such a better job at it then I can.

It is fun but I am spending a lot of time digging through football history here finding out the greats that might be overlooked by everyone else.

11. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Rava was a good pick. I hope all the other drafters consider picking some defender's from Rava era because there are some hidden jewels that need to be mentioned.

I Calabresi surely gave Rosato a great farewell. :) FORZA CATANZARO!

It was unfortunate that Anastasi played in only one World Cup. He would have played at Mexico 70 if it weren't for a knee injury.

Why didn't he play at Argentina 78? Had his form fade at that stage?

12. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    im not sold on anastasi. i dont think that was a good pick. hes was a very good player, but there are players who i consider alot better left on the board. especially in other positions.

on another note. how many players are we picking? 16 or more or what?

13. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The original rule was 11 players. But if everyone is having fun I suppose we can draft a few subs. (But that's up to all the drafters).

14. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    i think we should. if we are gonna have tactics and such for the 'judges' to consider, for every game, obviously we should have a couple subs we can put in to change the flow of the game if things arent going as planned

15. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    and another thing thats fun to consider. there are quite a few players who were super subs, who were actually better in that role, then as starters. if you can pick one of those guys later and maybe put him in and the judges consider their style, things could really change... maybe thatll make this a bit too complex though.

16. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    ok ive started the 7th round with a pick berga was arguing very strongly about. we both feel safe that our defense will turn out pretty damn good after this one.

so, as its not up to me, i just say do whatever you want.. sempre.. i think is next? if you wanna wait til monday i guess thats ok since thats what everyone was expecting.

17. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You just started the 8th round and that's a decent pick. (There
    are two defenders I think should have gone first.)

Rather than wait till Monday, let's just keep things moving as our
    pace is nice right now.

18. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    me and berga had a bit of a discussion about this pick. but i think we made the right choice. hes very versatile and that became a deciding factor for us. (know i said 7th round. cant edit posts because of these rediculous yellow card rules)
    delightful :)

19. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We've made our 8th pick and it's Giovanni Ferrari, one of only
    two Italians to have won both the '34 and '38 Cups.

As an inside left, he can play off Altobelli and add another
    threat (just as Conti adds another threat). But we like that
    he's a good linking player and passer, and could slot back into
    midfield in a more conservative formation. Our team is shaping
    up well. :)

20. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    excellent pick. me and berga had been discussing ferrari.

the scary thing is there are a couple players who im considering world class thatve never played for azzurri.

21. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Roberto Rosato is a player I would have almost drafted in the All-Time Draft. His 1970 World Cup performance is what I remember him most for (before that he had a bit of a bad reputation in Germany due to a vicious foul on Horst Höttges in a 1965 friendly between Italy and West Germany). His marking job on in-form Gerd Müller in the 1970 semi final is still well remembered by Müller. Does anybody know exactly why he was subbed after normal time? Müller promptly started to score his goals once Rosato left the game...

Pietro Rava is a player we wanted to draft for our left back position. We were hoping people would overlook him, but were aware that the chances of that were rather slim.

22. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If I remember correctly from a show I saw on Italian TV about World Cup 1970, he was just plain exhausted.

23. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That is so true and there are some players who have been capped by Italy but they were lucky because of certain coaches. Mauro Tassotti had only won seven caps in his career and he probably wouldn't have got any if it weren't for Sacchi despite being a great defender.

Ferrari was a classy player. He will be a vital part in Sempre's team. Altobelli would be getting some very good ball supply.

Cuccureddu has been selected. Nearly all the stars or most talked about players of 1978 have been picked.

The team should pick 16 players. Go for it!

24. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    i have to agree. he wasnt in contention before sacchi became coach. then again, thats when tassotti was at his best so who knows. he was a very good player anyway. the coach obviously has great influence on who plays. duh. cuccureddu was a better player though.

25. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's because he played for Juve. :D

Tassotti probably got proper recognition when Sacchi was around, even at AC Milan. When the club was at a low, he wasn't highly talked about like Italy's other defenders but once Berlusconi transformed Milan and Sacchi became coach, Tassotti became better known and like you said, he performed better. All I'm saying is that one individual can really make a big difference on a person's career and Sacchi's liking for Tassotti was an example of this. Unfortunately, there have been some fine Italian talents who didn't have this benefit like Tassotti.