Issue with netbook

Discussion in 'Technology' started by otterulz, Nov 9, 2009.

1. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello,

I recently purchased a refurbished Acer One D150 netbook. It worked fine for a couple of days and then after not touching it for a few more, it all of a suddenly shows up with an error message. To be specific, this is what it says:

Check cable connection..!
    PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
    No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

Again, it's a netbook so I have no external drive or anything and it did not come with any recovery disks. Acer's tech support site is terrible and I haven't had much luck searching the Internet on my own. I'm hoping to take this with me on my trip to London this Wednesday so if anyone could help me with this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

2. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never dealt with this problem before, so the following suggestions are based solely on my Google-Fu:

From what I can find, the PXE routine allows for booting from a network with PXE (Pre-Boot Execution Environment) services.

To resole the issue, go into the Bios (I think you hit F2) and turn off Network Booting or, if you cannot disable it, put it at the bottom of the boot sequence (or at least behind your HDD). If you still have this problem, then you may have a HDD problem.

3. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

That's what I found out online as well and tried disabling it as well as putting it at the bottom of the boot sequence. Neither helped.

I'm reallllllly hoping it's not a HDD problem.

********in refurb!

4. Boundzy

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the refurb come with Winows CDs (XP/Vista)? If so, try booting off those CDs. There are utilities on the Windows OS media for diagniosing and repairing unbootable HDDs.

If you do not have the CDs, maybe a friend has the CDs for the same Windows version you have and you could use the utilities from that CD.

1 person likes this.
  5. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, unfortunately it didn't come with one. I'd have to purchase them off of the Acer site if I want recovery CD's. Also the other problem is that it's a netbook so I have no external drive to hook it up to.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I appreciate it.

6. Boundzy

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. My last suggestion.

All of the major HDD manufacturers have utilities to diagnose and repair issues. It may be possible to create a bootable usb flash drive, load the manufacturer's HDD utility on the flash drive, and then scan the HDD. At least you would be able to determine if the HDD is the problem.

7. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you call Acer?

8. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. And since I bought a refurb off of Woot, they called me to call Revonate. They had a very simple solution: send it back.

Mailed it out yesterday and hopefully the replacement won't suck.

Thanks for the help anyway. Boundzy, sorry to make you go through all that for nothing but it was much appreciated!