Israeli Cup Final

Discussion in 'Referee' started by LampLighter, Jun 3, 2021.

1. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Video is of a VAR Check for the tying goal in minute 115 of the Israeli Cup Final.

https://streamable.com/cne90s

You couldn't pay me enough.

2. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a mess!! What the heck was that?

The red team knew they were guilty of the foul when they wouldn't let the ref through to see the VAR.

YOU get a red card and YOU get a red card... LOL! Red cards for everyone.

The head coach of the red team was totally classless.

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But VAR was going to help stop dissent!

The whole thing is a disaster, of course. I am interested in seeing the totality of misconduct and how he finished the match. I'd also like the see the angles used to determine that was a clear foul. Foul is the easy call there based solely on the nature of the tackle. I think it's a foul.

But given the referee was looking straight at it from like 5 yards away, he obviously felt it was fair in real time. He must not have felt there was any contact at all to believe that. So one of the replays must have shown clear contact. This streamable clip does cut out the minute while he's actually doing the OFR.

Thegreatwar, RedStar91 and davidjd repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nuance, but important:

They knew they would be punished for a foul once he went to conduct the review.

You can't get inside all 11 players' (or 30+ personnel's) heads, but I imagine a good portion of them genuinely felt it was not a foul. Or, at the very least, that once the referee determined it wasn't a foul then the call should stand.

It's important to remember that most competitions with VAR around the world, the percentage of times an OFR results in a changed decision is astronimically high. So the fact that he was called over meant the die was cast and they knew it. At that point, might as well engage in your crazy protests before and after the review, rather than just waiting.

5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Wow. I'd love to know what the R saw/thought he saw on this that didn't lead to at least a foul call live--especially at midfield, where it is a relatively harmless foul to call. (And, perhaps, if it was a foul call might not have resulted in the send off--for the review for a goal, only a C&E for not calling a foul was required for this, but a C&E error for not sending off would be required for a review if the foul had been called.)

I'm impressed by how calm our R remained in the chaos. I often tell new refs that a key is being the most calm person on the field--and he was. He very easily could have issued more cards (and perhaps should have--hopefully there will be post-game sanctions for others who earned them).

fairplayforlife, dadman and West Ender repped this.
  6. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. As a casual fan, I had no idea about the actual statistical outcome of these reviews.
    It seemed to me that the reviews usually result in the call being overturned, but I'd have guessed 60-70%.

7. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone other than the main R issue a card?
    I only watched it once, but I thought I saw one of the AR's issuing a red in the background.

8. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No only the referee can show the red card. The others can relay information about cardable offenses though.

West Ender repped this.
  9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    It should be almost always that an on-field review results in a call being changed.

The VAR should only be sending to the R if the VAR (who is an experienced referee) believes there was a clear error, so it should be unusual that the R is going to disagree with the VAR.

West Ender repped this.
  10. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    I used to think if I ever had a confrontation situation I would be calm. Then a few years back I was doing a U16 comp boys game solo and had a mass confrontation in the bench with a coach running into the other technical area, parents running across the field, etc, and I just started furiously screaming that the game was over and running to my bag (that was near the technical areas) stomping the ground yelling that I don't sign up for this crap and that everyone should be ashamed of themselves, congratulating them for ruining the game. Was pretty funny

11. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Which is absolute BS. One of the reasons I’m doing more of other sports where I don’t have to run my decisions through other referees.

Soccer is out of control. And bullshit like in this game needs to be fixed ASAP.

12. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Gracious. I have huge admiration for this referee. He has no fear of these people at all. Is it his military experience (which all of the Israeli players would have)? Or perhaps he just has confidence that passion in the game just does not cross the line to violence in Israel? I wish there was more video which shows him getting to the replay screen cuz it looked like 20 people were gonna try to keep him from getting there...

I am curious about him not making the foul call originally. It is bright yellow for me. It is late in the game- did he lose track of who fouled whom when the ball goes to a player who can start an attack, then asks for help unpacking it when the ball is out of play?

In my last game of high school this past season I had a varsity boys playoff game in which there was a questionable handling by a defender in the box (I was straight on and couldn’t tell if a defenders arm had extended forward or not) that I didn’t call- immediately after the counter led to a goal. Before signaling the goal I went back to my AR on that side to see if he had seen the contact and if the defender’s arm was out from his body- he didn’t have anything for me so I gave the goal. but negating a goal and giving a pkfor the opposing (visiting) team was not something I was very excited about doing. Negating this goal was brave and proper. Kudos to him.

dadman repped this.
  13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    While I agree that he did a great job of staying calm, with VAR in place, I don’t see how he could do anything but call the foul and take the goal out. (And if he hadn’t there would have been the same histrionics the other way.)

14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Proud to see the AR’s protecting their CR

Thegreatwar and dadman repped this.
  15. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I would be wondering if my life was in danger. That could be motivation to not call it.