Israel vs. Switzerland [R], World Cup 2010, Qualifying Round, 06.09.2008

Discussion in 'Israel: National Teams' started by film2112, Jun 19, 2008.

1. film2112

film2112 New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Sunny Los Angeles
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Who's looking forward to this match? After some great results in the friendlies, here is our first game that counts.

Post all relevant material on this thread:

2. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Re: Israel v Switzerland Sept 6th, 2008 WCQ [R]

Damn. I wish we had gotten one of the minnows first just to build up confidence. The Swiss will be among our toughest competition.

3. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

Knowing Israel though, we'll bring down Switzerland and Greece in amazing games and then lose to Latvia.

4. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Attendance

Is anyone here planning to attend the match? Do you think that we will have a full stadium? We have already seen the Swiss in Ramat Gan not so long ago. If the IFA doesn't sell out every match, then it just goes to show you that the general public doesn't really have an interest in us qualifying for the World Cup in 2010.

Personally, I think that this squad can do it, but I haven't been impressed so far with Dror Kashtan's call ups or tactics. The Swiss are going to be fired up from the poor performance at the Euro 2008 competition and will be eager to show their supporters to bank on them for the World Cup.

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why are you saying that? Israel won both games against Cyprus and Faroe Islands in qualifying for World Cup 2006 and won both games against FYR Macedonia, Estonia, and Andorra in qualifying for Euro 2008.

6. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

Yeah, it's been awhile since Israel has screwed up the smaller games, but it used to happen a lot more often.

7. David-G

David-G Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Miami
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Yeah, I think Israel's biggest problem the last two campaigns has been winning against the top teams. We've taken care of who we've needed to and played the top sides competently for draws much of the time. If we had won just one of those games ( or even drawn just one against Croatia) we would've qualified.

As for Switzerland, they looked poor in the Euros (against good competition of course) but they're still a side much stronger than us and they have many good young players that will only continue to improve over the next campaign. They should be the class of this group. Though we have a good chance in Ramat Gan IMO, and if ever there was a time for Israel to begin strong and beat one of the favored teams its this campaign, it has to be really. So i'm looking forward to this one but also pretty nervous.

8. YossiBenayoun

YossiBenayoun New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Yeah Swiss is a good team, but Israel is just as strong. Personally they didnt look that good in the Euro's and beating a 2nd string Portugal team that played for nothing doesnt quite do it for me.
    IMO, Its Israel and Swiss at the top of this group. Greece doesnt belong in any football competition. They played some of the worst football I've ever seen, and I doubt they will get any results against top competition like Israel and Swiss.

9. Schnorrer

Schnorrer Member

May 17, 2005
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    i think this is our best chance to make it again to the WC, we have a great midfield, nice forwards and a good goalkepper, we just need to work in our defence, Megra is an excellent player, something needs to be done so he can finally play, would be a boost to our defence, i mean Ziv is good, but he's not Megra!! :D

10. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Well In this Euro, Swiss NT coach retired.
    Thats a huge gap for them.its gonna be difficult to adapt new coach/new system etc.
    I think current Swiss team ,midfield isstrong side. versalite dm gokhan inler,behrami, up front frei,derdiyok... golie is not strong,less experiance, defens heavy and sheaky...

Greece FA announced that ,that they will continue with Rehhagel.
    He is good tactician in class of Hiddink generations i gues.
    the current squad will gonna change a bit,,,theyr gonna be more younger than current position.

Latvia will play danger counter attack as usual.
    verkapopkis(?) is most danger player for them.very good at counter.

You guys have huge chance if consistancy will continue in the start to the end.

my prediction is;
    1.You guys or Greece
    2.Greece or Swiss

11. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I hope that Avram Grant returns to us. I know some of you don't like his style of football, but I like him, and he's a top manager.

12. Forget Grant. He would never do it unless Luzon kisses his butt.

13. onetimeplz

onetimeplz New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Hi,

Does anyone know the process for buying tickets to the games at Ramat Gan Stadium? I'm from the US but was in Israel in spring 2005 and was able to buy tickets for the ireland and france games, but paid a lot of $$ outside the stadium from scalpers. I found the official website for the stadium, but it's all in hebrew: https://www.leaan.co.il/

If anyone knows how I could go about buying tickets in advance from the official venue, that would be great.

Thanks!

14. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call them at +972-3-5247373. I think that they are only selling ticket packages right now to all the game and not individual tickets.

15. dutsh_shulz

dutsh_shulz New Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Basel
    I would say the nationalteams of both coutries playing on the same level. Hope both of the teams will attend in South Africa

16. film2112

film2112 New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Sunny Los Angeles
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Who do you put up front? Tamuz? Sachar? Assulan? Fresh and young blood. I hope not that wanker Katan.

17. bostonf4lyf

bostonf4lyf Member

Mar 18, 2006
    wmass
    looking forward for this game considering i will be there at the match. it will be a big one to set a tone for the rest of qualifying

18. David-G

David-G Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Miami
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

None of them.

Barda definitely. Colautti if he's fit. Golan, even though I have no clue what happened to him since he went to Belguim.

I would like to see Sahar and especially Tammuz on the team but if they never play in their club teams there's no reason. Hopefully Toto will finally be a permanent starter on Beitar this year. Ben Sahar, well, he'll be lucky to play more than 10 minutes at Pompey.

19. wc2010isr

wc2010isr New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    id love to see grant coach israel again after his experince with chelsea, his tactical line up i belive has improved he did amazing with chelsea and hes a lot more confident. hed be a guide to the wc if we see him coach again!

btw i was driving today and i was thiking about the lineup and how it could look in the coming years.... aside from i dont know shit on line up forms and who goes where id love to see something like this.. correct me on what could be more realistic.

toto tammuz-ben sahar

gai assulin- alberman- benayoun-buzaglo

ziv- keinan-ben haim-shpungin

awat

20. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your lineup has no experience! I would play this line up:

Elyaniv Barda, Roberto Colautti

Michael Zandberg, Gal Alberman, Maor Buzaglo, Yossi Benayoun

Avi Strool, Tal Ben Haim, Ze'ev Haimovich, Yuval Spungin

Nir Davidovich

21. film2112

film2112 New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Sunny Los Angeles
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Colautti can't finish often enough like he should, and is Barda even fit?!
    I say this should be the campaign of the youngsters. Put the 18 year olds on the pitch and have them run sprints for 90+ min. They are bound to knock a few to the back of the onion bag. So important in this campain is to finish.

22. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What!?! Roberto Colautti has six goals in eight games for the national team! Barda will be just as fit as any of our other players and if you are worried about scoring goals, he almost won the golden boot in Belgium last year.

In regards to the youngsters, yes they should be included. But you can't give them the keys to qualifying for such an important competition like the world cup. If you want to put Sahar and Assouline in the starting eleven of a friendly, fine. But they have to earn their spot in the starting eleven by playing well for their clubs, not solely on their potential. That is why I will give them bench spots, but I am not getting rid of quality players who are coming into their prime for future prospects. Barak Itzhaki is my pick if Colautti isn't 100% match fit to play against the Swiss.

23. snowbozo21

snowbozo21 New Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Wandering
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Ahhah

only a few people know what they are talking about :rolleyes:

If everyone is in good form, our starting lineup would be as follows

Right back is basically the only position thats somewhat unknown, Itzahki Benayoun and Barda are going to be switching places during the whole game.

-----------Colautti--------Barda-----------
    ---Itzahki--------------------------Benayoun
    -----------Alberman------Cohen-------------
    Ziv--------Ben-Haim------Strool-----Saban--
    -------------------Awat--------------------

Second Lineup

---------Sahar----------Golan----------
    --Assulin-----------------------Buzaglo--
    ----------Bruchian-----Ohayon-----------
    Ziv-------Gershon-------Ben-Yosef--Ben-Dayan
    ----------------Davidovic-------------------

Any of the players above will eventually play during the campaign if they maintain their form. Don't forget about Toto Tamuz

24. film2112

film2112 New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Sunny Los Angeles
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Thats fantastic, but didn't he only score like 3 goals this year at his club BM?

How many more ties do you want in qualifying? I don't know about you, but I'm ready to win. Maybe not talking about starting 11 -- think key 70th minute sub. I'm simply stating that these guys are much more hungry to make a name for them self and then to return to club play at Portsmouth or Barca with a goal or two from capped play!!?? Hell yea. Think the emotion and hunger, not whats "on paper." The IFA has been running for what looks good "on paper" and how many times have we made it now? It's high time for some outside the box thinking from our IFA, damn it.

Thats debatable, and thats "on paper". And no one plays football on paper.

It is nice however to see people posting here again :)

25. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I'm pretty sure he was injured almost the entire time...