Islanders and MLS

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico FC' started by jcm28, Apr 20, 2011.

1. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    I've noticed that the Islanders/MLS topic comes up very often in this forum, so I just wanted to keep it all in 1 thread.

Discuss ahead.

2. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the Islanders and MLS, I don't think there is really that much to talk about. The MLS supporters can claim we are a Division II team that sometimes fights above its weight. As a PRI supporter, I would argue that we compete against Division I teams in both the Caribbean Union games and the CONCACAF Champions League. The MLS needs to expand in U.S. markets. They will never ask PRI to join because of the travel costs.

PRI has nothing to prove to MLS. Our perfromance against Div I teams in various competitions over the past 5 years speaks for itself. Anyone can debate the differences between teams and leagues, like the Eurosnobs talking down the MLS. For me, the Islanders' have let their play on the field speak for themselves.

3. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    It's not really about them asking us to join. MLS didn't ask any of the recent teams to join, the investors appeared and the petition to join and they were accepted. It's about us having the financial backing and fan stability to support a MLS team which we currently don't have, we need to increase attendance so we can try to entice a big money investor to back a MLS bid.

The main concern I could see MLS having is that, we are successful on the field but that success has had little effect on support in the stands. We aren't a big tv market either and I think playing in Bayamon really hurts too, I would think MLS would prefer the Islanders play in San Juan it's a more recognizable city. The Islanders have to prove that they can bring in +10k crowds on a regular basis. If the Islanders had a number close to that now then it would look much better when they put in a application for the MLS, but right now attendance ranges around 3k, I would say wee would need to double that in the teams current incarnation to have a shot at MLS.

If that happens I think Andy is connected enough to look for a potential mayor investor for the team. Then you can put a proposal together plan a redevelopment of the stadium etc.

4. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Funny how a couple of days after saying that the Islanders have announced an expansion of the stadium.

It seems that by 2013 Juan Ramon Loubriel stadium will have a capacity of 20,500 seats.

Philly's PPL park has 18,500.

Maybe the islanders FO has something planned?:D

5. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it's just to try and bid for the Pan-Am games. but if you can show the MLS that you are truly an MLS quality team. finish this stadium. raise your attendances. and get some ownership put together then maybe the Don will be interested.

6. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18.5 K with targeted additions bringing it to over 35 K down the road. 1st phase set to begin in 2 years I believe. (Can never close up the River End though.:cool:)

MLS is looking for 20 K minimum these days.....so your projected numbers are all to the good. SSS(Soccer Specific Stadium) + big $ 0wner = MLS.

Formula doesn't change for anybody.................

7. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think that PPL park is planned to be expanded to 27,000 in three for four phases that are supposed to start in time for the start of the 2014 season.