ISIS Threatens Russia, Putin

Discussion in 'International News' started by stanger, Sep 4, 2014.

1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if this is being discussed in another thread or not so if it is, mods, please join the threads.

IS militants vow to 'de-throne' Putin over Syria support

http://news.yahoo.com/militants-vow-throne-putin-over-syria-support-225140129.html

ISIS is making some more news today that doesn't include beheading American journalists. I would think Russa will deal with them a little differently that the US will and I wonder if, given the cooling of the relationship between the US and the Kremlin, if the US and Russia might work in conjunction to rid the world of ISIS.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sad truth is that if we just look the other way at Assad and let him and Russia deal with IS in Syria they could take care of it, but they would not discriminate between IS and the other opposition, they would just kill all that opposed Assad.

So can we (west) look the other way when this happens?

Egypt in a much smaller scale is doing it to the opposition, the military has basically regained all the power they lost during the Arab spring, and we have been very quiet about it.

I guess as long as the death toll is in the 100’s and not in the thousands we are ok with looking the other way.

3. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why ISIS decided to call out Russia. I can't think of another country with the power and the ability to act first and answer questions later. And, it's not like Assad won't give Putin free reign inside Syrian borders to exterminate them.

Seems like ISIS has gotten a bit full of themselves.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They want to establish a world wide (at least ME) sharia law caliphate, yes I think they are full of them selves.

5. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With all this talk of expansion, I guess ISIS never played Risk as kids. The central Asia/Europe region is impossible to hold.

If there was a growing branch of Australian terrorists, on the other hand, we should be very worried.

CeltTexan repped this.
  6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    This isn't news ... Islamist militants have had called for Jihad against Russia for a long time. China too ... And India ...

7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sure would be terrific if entire DIVISIONS of Iraqi infantry and amored infantry didn't tuck tail and run when 800 or less ISIS troops approached Mosel! Jeez, way to hold the fort down Iraqi army.

Um. Yes. Our Federal government is very ok with looking the other way when death tolls in the 100's occur to cerrtain tribes of peoples.
    Think about how our American Indians must have felt?!?

8. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

That's what more than a trillion of US tax dollars gets you these days ... Oops what am I saying ... It's not even US tax dollars. It's money borrowed from China that our great grand kids will worry about when we're gone.

Truth is the current Iraqi Army won't lift a finger unless it's Baghdad or other areas with Shiites that are under threat. Shiite soldiers aren't going to risk their lives saving Sunni towns. We continue to pay the price for the ad hoc countries that were formed last century that took little or no considerations for the actual ethnic divisions on the ground. Iraq should never have been a country. Kurds should have always been part of Kurdistan and the Shiite/Sunni Arabs should have been separated long ago ...

CeltTexan repped this.
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can this become the all about ISIS thread?

http://theweek.com/article/index/26...beral-hawks-have-a-boy-who-cried-wolf-problem

10. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Putin has better uses for his armed forces than combating a group that has embarrassed the West. ISIS poses no threat to the Russian government.

11. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Besides Russia has it's own home-grown Islamic insurgency. They don't need to go to Syria to combat one.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're assuming that Assad wants IS to disappear so quickly.

13. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    This link would never be more appropriate:

14. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure Assad will enjoy the "leftover" military equipment Russia will give them.