Isaac Lee in Germany?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    A fellow named Isaac Lee may have been with Bonner SC to close out this season:
    http://www.welthockey.de/spieler_profil.php?id=30214

He appears to have been with Sportfreunde Eisbachtal before that.

But he is not currently listed on the squad for the upcoming season. The club's official site is here:
    http://www.bonner-sc.de/

As for who he is, an Isaac Lee was a standout at North Park U. in Chicago:
    http://www.npcts.edu/athletics/news/story.cfm?ID=693&sportID=6

That story has him playing at a "FC Kohn."

Transfermarkt has him listed as MIA for the moment.

He was apparently born in 1984.

Still looking.

2. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    wow!!

slow down bro, i can hardly keep up with you.

seriously, tho, great work as usual.

3. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Yeah!
    Wow.

4. Gotberg

Gotberg Member

Nov 14, 2002
    Chicago

Here's my understanding, but can't say I'll get the facts 100% correct:

He's originally from South Korea(I believe a youth international) and played a single year of high school soccer at Marion Academy. Didin't attract D1 offers, perhaps because of only being in the US for one year.

Liked North Park's coach and the upward direction of the program so played D3 in a fairly competetive conference (Wheaton, IL included). Was fantastic for the team, probably best ever, but left school after the first year and went to Germany.

I think signed with Koln as an amateur. Not sure exactly what happened next but ended up as an amateur (basic expenses paid I think) with Bayern Leverkusen. Never expected to get a pro contract with BL, but an opportunity to be seen by other pro teams in hopes of signing a contract.

Nice to see an update, was curious where he ended up.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Lee is back at North Park and listed as a junior (which would make sense, since his freshman season was 2003 and if not for having headed to Germany he would therefore be a senior now) with a hometown of Madiscon, Wisc. Seems like he's having a decent season.

6. Gotberg

Gotberg Member

Nov 14, 2002
    Chicago
    I watch him all the time playing for North Park. He's in the mix for South Korea's 2008 Olympic Team and has had a very nice season at NP. Isaac was not offered a pro contract in Germany, but was offered multiple opportunities in the Korea's K-league.

I belive his father is a professor or something at the University of Wisconsin which is why Madison is listed as his hometown as opposed to a town in Korea.

His father stressed the importance of an education because the K-League doesn't pay very high salaries - at least for starters - not unlike MLS I would assume, and wanted Isaac to think long term.

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    You must be referring to Dr. Daesung Lee, an authority on total synthesis of biologically active natural products, development of new reactions and methodologies for the synthesis of natural and unnatural compounds and combinatorial chemistry.

I thought his contributions to "Synthesis of the 5-7-6 Core of Guanacastepenes. Construction of C8 Quaternary Carbon via the Inversion of Stereochemistry" were really very important, though this is not to minimize the importance of Nguyen, Seifert and Mowrey's work -- for reasons I think you will all agree are self-explanatory.

Is there any reason to believe Ike is a Yank?

8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    :eek: ........

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Looks like Lee is a Yank and is also going to be Abroad:

When Isaac Lee returns to South Korea to play professional soccer this summer, he will leave North Park University as one of the most accomplished athletes in the school’s history, says Coach John Born.

Lee actually was born in Madison, Wisconsin, but his parents returned to South Korea months later. Lee came to the United States when he was 15 so that he could play soccer and receive a strong education. His parents – both professors – were concerned that if he stayed in Korea, his academics would suffer because high school athletes take few classes.

Lee came to North Park in 2003 and played a year for the Vikings but then left to play professionally in Germany for two years. ​

http://www2.northpark.edu/npuvikings/newsStory.cfm?height=500&width=700&StoryID=3228

Don't know where he'll be playing, but something to watch for.

10. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-League

He must be going to the K-League then, because the league below it is Semi-Pro.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Anyone have a good sightline into Korean soccer? Would love to know if Ike made it over.