Isaac Acuna in Guatemala

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    He's an American-born 1989 who's been on our list for a few years now:

Twenty-year old Issac Acuña made his professional soccer debut this Saturday in the victory of his team, Club America, 3-1 against Jaguares of Chiapas. Acuña entered the games at minute thirty-five of the second half of the game. The Calexico athlete was part of the former Calexico Police Athletic League where he played basketball and soccer for five years.

Acuña later joined Club America’s affiliate in Mexicali after graduating from Aurora High School in 2007. Talent scouts from the main team invited him to join their third division team, America Cuapa. After a year with the third division team he was elevated to the second division team called, Socio Aguila. Issac was featured on the Calexico Chronicle on January 2009.​

http://tribwekchron.com/2010/04/calexico-player-has-professional-soccer-debut/

Full name (according to the Mexican Fed) is Isaac Acuna Sanchez.

2. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder DMN, if I ever played in Latvia/Lithuania, would you have me on your list? :)

3. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet. That is one of the biggest clubs in the Americas.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    A short mention:

They also talked about the important of supporting youth leagues.

“With the support they have, they are able to contribute players like Isaac Acuña,” Ramirez said.

Acuña is a 20-year-old Calexican who debuted earlier this year with America. He played for the then Calexico Police Athletic League.​

http://www.ivpressonline.com/articles/2010/05/27/sports/sports02.txt

5. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    I doubt it. I played with some guys (New York's Cosmopolitan League) who are Yanks and played lower leagues Abroad -- South America, Israel, Europe, Asia -- and weren't on any list, nor should they be. At lower levels, the difference between minor league pro abroad and good US amateur (e.g., Div. 1) is pretty minor.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Why don't you do it and find out?

:D

7. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  9. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isaac Acuna made his Queretaro debut today in a 5-0 loss to Toluca. He came on in the 55th minute and had a chance for two goals, one off a contested header which he sent over the bar and the second on a toe poke of a loose ball in the box which ended going harmlessly to the keeper. He was playing forward. The few other times I noted him getting the ball he seemed to turn it over, but I wasn't paying close attention and had trouble tracking him.

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Re: Professional debut for Isaac Acuña (Club America)

BS Headline: Acuña Struck By Runaway Autobus!

11. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He weighs more than me so he should be alright

12. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Rockingout

Rockingout Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Los Angeles County
    i want to know what steps the US federation has gone out to call him or contact him. I would hate to loose him to another team.

14. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    my thoughts is to call him up in the next match vs Argentina but every time i want something to happen Bradley ends up calling a Brian Ching or a Conor Casey or is it Casey Conor LOL jk of course but nothing against them they are great MLS strikers but we need youth

15. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I have said before if he wants to play for Mexico let it be. I want guys like Omar Salgado who really want to represent the United States of America.

16. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What players have you wanted called in that have never been called in?

Are you saying that Bob Bradley doesn't call in young players? which ones?

17. jwat15

jwat15 Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
  18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is a bummer.

But, this novella ain't over yet. I suspect there'll be a few more chapters.

19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well this suck

at least that means that this thread is going to get more interesting.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    In the short-term, a call-up for the friendlies later this month with the senior team trumps a tournament to be played in the summer by a youth national team.

Offer him a chance to play now with the caveat that if he shows well he could be on the GC roster this summer.

Gotta be proactive with these dual citizen kids.

21. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Bob really cares too much about the guys playing in Mexico. He rarely calls up Torres and Herc had to score 10 goals before he got called. Acuna is about as gifted as Shea if not better. Bob thinks like a NFL coach.

Bring in Rongen!

22. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herculez Gomez wasn't exactly setting the world on fire in MLS so there was no reason to call him in. He got a good run of games in Mexico and benefited from it by making the World Cup team Was pretty useful in the games he played. For instance the Bradley goal against Slovenia he made the smart run on the Jozy knockdown header to draw the defender away and Bradley stepped up and put it in.

23. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shea isn't international caliber; tall and fast, but no soccer IQ. Torres had a stretch of bad form after the WC. Doesn't help that center-mid is so deep too.

24. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Torres and Herc both started World Cup games

25. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Torres played 45 mins and had a shot on goal. Findley played and scored how many times?? Findley didn't provide any assists and none of his runs setup plays that led to goals. Findley was out of form and started more than once in in the biggest tourney there is in soccer. Even Charlie Davies has not been that impressive with his fluke goal against Egypt. Any player in Mexico could be the next Dempsey/Donovan
    if they just had more opportunities to play at the international level.