Is your Fault Only

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by JAIME1, Aug 1, 2002.

1. JAIME1

JAIME1 New Member

Jun 17, 1999
    Boston
    It is not the management Fault neither is the players Fault.
    It is the Fans Fault.
    Because you are supporting this team

Like any other product,
    If is not good
    You don't buy it unless they improve it.
    But why will anyone bother making the effort to improve something when people will buy it anyway.

The Revs are not only a bad team bad they play the most boring an unattractive soccer in the MLS.
    To have one or two bad season is understandable but been in last place for seven years is way too much.
    This not possible to achieve unless the owners do not care, and they don't care "PERIOD".
    To my understanding the only thing they care is money.
    The team, the fans are not really important as long as they leave their money in the stadium.

But amazingly Fans are still going to the games and supporting it

CAN THE FAN HELP ????
    YES.
    Easy "STAY HOME" let the attendance drop to a few thousands.
    Then you will see changes

Are you afraid you are going to hurt the sport by not supporting it?

No, to the contrary, you are hurting the sport now,

Anyone in NE who claims soccer is boring, is right and can prove it.
    Soccer will not gain new soccer fans neither support.
    Only negative articles are written.
    Etc.

Do you fell bad for the Revs players ???

I do feel bad for them now. And
    I don't think they can feel any worst.
    I am sure they will like to play for a fun team and a good institution

Attendance used to be in the lower 20s K I think today is in the lower 10k
    I am in the 10k+ that are not going to games.

But if the team ever improves I will be back and bring some new fans.

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thinking Jamie. Let's all stay home and maybe the whole sport will dry up and then we can watch the Red Sox for excitement. Or maybe NASCAR, I hear that's really popular now.

Strangely enough, a lot of people are taking your advice, given that attendance has been declining every year. So what about the changes that will happen? Nothing of substance has changed. If your house is falling down you can paint it and it will look OK from a distance, but the only way to solve the problem is to either make the structural repairs or tear it down and build a new house.

This is like the waning days of the Ceaucescu regime in Romania. Things have to get really bad before they can get any better. Of course, if things get that bad, we may not be able to recover at all.

Tom

3. Blathist

Blathist New Member

Aug 21, 2001
    Foxboro
    That is the worst idea I've ever heard. Not going to the games!? If you like the sport, you go to the games. NOt going wouldn't change anything, or at least very little. It may even make things worse, if fewer people go to the games, then the team will get less revenue, therefore having to cut costs. That is a bad thing, because we will have to drop players and other staff members.

Worst idea ever.

4. JAIME1

JAIME1 New Member

Jun 17, 1999
    Boston
    Tom

If nothing is done surely you are going to be watching baseball or NASCAR. This cannot and will not last much longer as is. Thousands already left and many more will follow until there is nothing left to justify its existence.

Do you think that doing nothing is better than letting the owners know that this unacceptable and we will not support this any longer?

There are not many people in this planet who love the sport more than I do.
    And it is an effort for me not to go to the games but I believe I am doing something if I do not go.

5. The Perfesser

The Perfesser New Member

May 23, 1999
    AthensGA/NewburyptMA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jaime,

You sound like a guy who's never experienced a team actually folding or leaving town. I remember the Tea Men who were here for 3 years and then left for Jacksonville and finally folded.

I remember the "dark ages" of US pro soccer (1984-1996) between the NASL and MLS. I don't want to go through that again, and I doubt many others who remember that era do either.

There is a major fallacy to your logic, namely you assume that because you and your friends stay away that you are "sending a message" to the Krafts that you want better soccer.

How do you know that's the message that they are receiving?

A much better approach is to challenge their assumptions, explanations, performance, etc. and get them to have a dialogue with the fans, the people who are paying their salaries. This is what Todd Smith suggested he wanted, so I hope that we hear from him soon.

Questioning authority is one of the things we do here. Sure, I was inadvertently the lightning rod for Todd Smith, and clearly shouldn't have made a reference to his health, but I think the thing that really started this major discussion about the structure of the Revs was Gus Martins' article in the Herald the other day. Finally, someone in the media started to ask questions publically that virtually anyone who cares about pro soccer in the US was asking of this club starting in May of 1996.

In other words, if we just stay away and don't say anything, the Krafts and anyone else would likely conclude that this isn't much of a soccer market.

On the other hand, if we show up with bags over our heads, demands for a youth/reserve system, a new GM, a new coach, or to bring back Cate or Andy Williams, or even signs demanding the head of Sunil Gulati on a stick (n.b. this just a satirical figure of speech), or that Sonny Kraft wear a Revs cap to a Revs game not a Pats cap, etc., then we are stating in no uncertain terms what we DO want to see from this soccer team.

In other words, we shouldn't be quiet and roll over for the Krafts, we should actively demand an explanation for why under their regime thay have had the worst soccer team in the history of MLS and what they are going to do about it.

6. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    hmmmm....doing something by not doing anything? wow! i could do work without actually going? or, get groceries without making a big trek out? next time the missus asks me to walk the dog....i'll just say "i am...can't you tell?". this is great...sign me up.

please, include your toll-free number with the next post.

seriously...do we have to have this same exact argument under a different thread heading every single week? please, go did up a older thread...read it...and add something that hasn't been said before if you find some gaps.

7. skip70

skip70 New Member

Mar 21, 2001
    The Burbs
    JAIME1 may I suggest some summer reading?
    Pick up Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby.

8. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Are the old threads around? I thought that this was the brave new world at bigsoccer. As for the topic, I certainly feel as frustrated as anyone else, but you start off the post blaming the fans for supporting the team. You then state that if we stop going to the games the Revs will "get the message" and change things. You later claim that "Attendance used to be in the lower 20s K I think today is in the lower 10k". Why didn't they get the message then? I guess the last 10k didn't matter, but the next 2k will get their attention?

Also, this arguement is heard on the radio a lot, generally about the Red Sox and the Bruins, both of whom (as far as I know) are profitable. It's probably not the case for the Revs, where the Krafts don't care about the Revs because they're making enough money off of those who go to the games anyway that they don't bother to improve the team.

Again, I feel you frustration, and if I could think of something we could do to improve things, I'd also suggest it. I just don't think that whether or not I attend the games will influence the team in any way. Besides, I already paid for the tickets...

9. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Go to the game

But stick a nice big paper bag over your head - be sure to cut eye holes so you can see the game

Or better yet - stand up and turn your back to the field.

Bring newspapers and have everyone start to read one at kick off

The soccer moms might not do it but I am sure you get the real Revs fans to go along with some mass form of protest

10. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    first off, the revs havent been in last place all 7 season, remember they did make the playoffs twice. And what kind of fan are you to say that if we don't go, we will help the team. If we don't go, contracts wont be able to be payed, thus our big players (Ralston, Twellman, Llamosa) would be shipped out for cheaper talent.

11. JAIME1

JAIME1 New Member

Jun 17, 1999
    Boston
    When attendance goes from 20k+ to single digits ks you know there is something very wrong

and when there is a good match with good teams attendance can almost reach 40ks then you are an id1ot if you don't get the message.

After two Saturdays with a 3-4 k people in the stadium you will see it in the paper, radio, etc.
    Stay home can sen a message loud and clear “no more garbage” and it will hurt where it hurts most. $$$$$$$

You had been putting paper bags on your head for years, (I believe with Wrongen) and the team still s#cks.

12. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Would anyone notice? I've recently sat in a few different areas of the stadium and I never have trouble hearing conversations that are rows away. It's almost as loud at a high school game.

13. sandman012

sandman012 Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Providence
    The only message the Krafts will get by the crowds shrinking is that there's no reason for the m to support the team and they'll get out of MLS and help bring down the whole league.

This isn't Major League Baseball, which is here to stay ... Montreal's fan's don't show up? No problem, move then franchise to DC and average at least 25,000 a game.

And Jaime, you MUST read 'Fever Pitch'.

14. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jaimie--I think your idea is dead wrong for all the reasons posted already by others.

My wife and I are season ticket holders that travel 800 miles each way to see the Revs play. We both love soccer and enjoy the connections we've made with other fans, Rev Staff and the players. As Americans we have all been conditioned to demand that our team win. Fortunately for our peace of mind, as two people who are older and less trapped by such expectations Sue and I only insist that our team show up and give their all on the Pitch. Such has not always been the case. Fortunately, under SN the team has show full effort if not consistant consentration and execuition. As long as the Revs field a team I will be in attendance, win or lose. To not show up as a way of showing my dis-ease at their poor record would be akin to just shooting myself in the foot.

Better we all keep coming.

15. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    please, as i've stated before the truth lies somewhere between "staying home" and "showing up b/c its the only game in town". people have to keep on the revs organization. i hardly think we have much of an effect....make that no effect on player and staff hiring and firings. we can let them know, in no uncertain terms, that we don't want to be gouged in trying to do our part to make this endeavor succeed.

and....there are enough old threads on page 2 and 3 that this whole conversation could have piggy-backed on.

as for "fever pitch"....its summer and all, so a light appetizer like that is fine. just make sure you follow it up with "offside: soccer and american exceptionalism" if you really want to delve into the uphill battle that we call supporting soccer 'round here.

amazon link incl book excerpts:
    Offside: Soccer and American Exceptionalism

16. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, on the third Saturday the management gets the drift that the fans are pissed? They bring in which new players for this third weekend? They bring in what new coach for this 3rd weekend? Thet bring in what new management team for this third weekend?

No, they are other ways to voice your disapproval. Staying away is like slitting your own throat. We just lost 17% of last year's teams. No need to add to that number.

17. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    I agree with Soccer Doc. In the 80's, when the footie bug bit me hard and terminally, I used to spend 4 to 12 weeks a year in the UK. I got the habit of going to Upton Park regularly and following West Ham in person, or via BBC when I was back in Boston. They went up, they went down, they got to the finals of the Open, er, FA Cup to lose, etc. etc. In other words, I've been there before. This Revs story isn't new. I, too, just ask that they try as hard as they can, players, staff, etc. and keep at it. Things WILL get better. Yes the Krafts aren't much interested but if there are 20,000 bums on plastic every week they will loosen up some cash to fund better scouting, youth development (I know some great players on the U16-18 Bulldogs), etc, etc.

Staying away does no one any good. Keeping up the pressure does, for certain.

JIM DOW