Is Wenger the Best Manager in the Prem?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I believe so..duh, I'm bias. But here is why. He knows how to prepare his players, great talent scout, poised and professional, desire to win, and finally a master at meshing personalities to believing in the team concept.

2. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    All things considered - i.e. Resources at his disposal, results, style of play, success, win rate, influence on the club and the game (bringing a professional attitude to diets, fitness and training to english football).

...I'd say unquestionable so.

And he has the best head-to-head record of any manager in the league.

3. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    Of course Wenger is.

4. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If only he would stop b1tching.

5. Jester&ni

Jester&ni New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Spanish in England
    Wenger's the best when it comes to buying players for the correct amount

6. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    He's the best team builder, not just in the Prem but in the world.

I don't think he's the best tactical manager in England (or London, for that matter).

7. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    An impossible question to answer really. But ask yourself this: If Alan Curbishley, for instance, had our talent what would he do with it? Not that I'm a huge Curbs fan or anything, but think of the teams that finish 5-10 in the Prem that probably have, at most, one or two players that would even make the bench for the Arsenal.

I'm a huge Wenger fan. He deserves a permanent place of honour in the history of Arsenal FC. That being said, if you give me Ronald Koeman or Hector Cuper right now, we make the semis of the CL on a regular basis.

8. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wenger has been great in the transfer market and has built a couple of good sides in his time here.

He does, however, have two question marks against him.

1. As mentioned above, he isn't the best tactically. Our problems in European competition highlight this deficiency.
    2. He hasn't built a team capable of winning consecutive titles. Consistently winning the Premiership would elevate him even further in the rankings of great managers down the years. Maybe the best is yet to come, there were several very good performances on Tuesday night.

Even so, he is up there with the best in the world at the moment.

9. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Let me also add that if we didn't get Wenger back in '96 it is entirely possible that we would have been fighting for fourth place (or lower) instead of first these last seven years. He has unquestionably raised our level.

10. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    I think it speaks volumes how the players enjoying playing for AW.. I dont think either paddy or TH14 would be here if Arsene left.. his tactics in Europe however is becoming a disturbing trend~

11. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    What is I give you van Gaal? Oh, wait, we'd have all Dutch players then, so we'd get to the semi's or the finals, but lose in some bizarre, painful fashion that can't be comprehended by mere mortals.

Come to think of it, Arsenal is very "Dutch" when it comes to the CL. Loads of talent, always considered a threat, always crashing out early.

12. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Areas he excels at:

Spotting bargains: think TH and/or PV4; both languishing in Italy yet reborn under AW

Player output: see above. Players like and want to play for him

Attractive style: a bit one-dimensional (see below) but nevertheless consistently one of the most enjoyable sides to watch in England

Building a perennial winner: they've won or been in the top three every year since '96.

Areas where he's average:

Transfer market: besides the occasional bargain, his record seems pretty mixed. For every Henry or Viera, there is a Luzny, Stepanovs or Kanu. Not horrible, mind you, but average.

Bringing in youth: It's tough to break into any Prem side and it's not really Wenger's resposibility to develop the young players, but other than Ashley Cole, which former youth player has recently made an impact on the side?

Sticking with players: tough call because a side needs continuity, but it seems that some of the same players get chance after chance to prove they don't belong. Would (pick player) gotten as many chances at any of the other top Prem sides?

Needs improvement:

Tactical variety: Basically if you stop the counter-attack (difficult to do mind you), Arsenal is dead. That's one reason why we don't make a run in the Champions League. It's tough for any team to score when you bunker against them, but it doesn't seem like AW makes any adjustments.

Winning ugly: It's early this season, but other than the ManU game (which easily could have been a 1-0 defeat), when was the last time Arsenal really needed a point and they gutted it out?

Prem grade: A
    Overall: A-/B+

13. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think he is a great manager when buying players and tactically during games.

It's off the field that Wenger acts like everyone is beneath him and crys when anything goes against him. He is also not very honest and objective when it come to admitting when his players have dived or screwed up.

Funnily enough, I would say the same thing about Fergie. I just wish we would put a muzzle on these guys because what comes out of their mouths is pure tripe most of the time.

Also, the fact that he has failed in Europe is a black mark. If he ever wins the CL, I would will put him along with the best.

14. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Fourth place? We'd be closer to 10th than 4th. We'd be scrapping with Sp*rs for 8th place every year. We wouldn't have a state-of-the-art training facility, we wouldn't be laying plans to build a money-making stadium, our youth system wouldn't be stocked with some of the best talent available throughout the world, we wouldn't have played some of the most entertaining soccer seen over the last five seasons, and Arsenal America wouldn't exist without Wenger.

15. de_valera

de_valera New Member

Sep 30, 2003
    China
    Is Wenger the Best Manager in the Prem?

HELL YEA !!!!!!!

THE MAN'S RECORD SPEAKS FOR ITSELF

16. reggae boy

reggae boy New Member

Jul 30, 2003
    Jamaica, West Indies
    wenger is the best manager in the prem.
    this is so b/c
    1. he knows how to assemble a team
    2. always defend his players whether right or wrong
    3. knows which players to get

GOD BLESS

17. asfoolasiam

asfoolasiam New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Takoma Park
    Club:
    DC United
    Don't forget his repartee: "Everyone thinks he has the prettiest wife at home." Classic!